This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
    Yea. Aren't all Beauforts Made in England and some of the other jackets are elsewhere? I also got a hood with mine so it all ages at the same time. Next want is a waxed hat...just don't want to spend $50 on a hat.
    From what I've seen, all Bedales and Beauforts are made in England and most other things tend to be made in Bulgaria, though I have come across a couple of other jackets made in England (including an Ashby at J. Crew, though mine was made in Bulgaria). I had previously thought the Border was in the made in England category as it's basically just a longer version of the other two, but my brother recently discovered his Border was made in Bulgaria as well. That's why I asked; I was hoping to confirm that they weren't shifting production of core products like the Beaufort away from England as well. Also, I believe whether or not a Bedale or Beaufort is "Classic" or "Original" refers to the finish on the cotton ("Classic" is coated with Barbour's proprietary Sylkoil and has a more matte appearance) and not anything to do with fit or dimensions, but I don't think that has any effect on origin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snake Doctor View Post
      Also, I believe whether or not a Bedale or Beaufort is "Classic" or "Original" refers to the finish on the cotton ("Classic" is coated with Barbour's proprietary Sylkoil and has a more matte appearance) and not anything to do with fit or dimensions, but I don't think that has any effect on origin.
      You're right about the difference between the the Classic and non-classic line being primarily fabric used.

From Orvis' page on Barbour jackets:

Sylkoil is an “unshorn” wax where the cotton comes straight from the loom while it’s slightly fluffy and is then dyed and waxed. The natural imperfections of the weave are reflected in the rich variations of color and finish. Over time, this fabric softens into a lovely, slightly peachy looking cotton between waxes.

Thornproof is a lustrous wax with a deep color and even touch. The cotton is calendered between rollers and then dyed. The resulting finish is smooth cotton which we term Thornproof because it is extremely resistant to snags and pulls from spiky plants such as brambles and hawthorn.

Another good comparison site is Best in the Country's Barbour Guide as it has measurements and a features chart.

I have a Dept B. Commander (that I never wear and want to trade out for a Bedale or a Beaufort), a Sapper (Sylkoil that I rewaxed myself, which was a mistake and I should have let Barbour do it), and a Border (Thornproof, bought off eBay, needs to be rewaxed as it looks like something Hagrid would wear).

-Vic
      "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

• I have the shinier jacket for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
          In the walk in closet? I hang all my cardigans, shawl sweaters, other thick/bulky sweaters.
          I always thought that hanging sweaters was bad since it stretched out the weave.

Comment

• Originally posted by DocDave View Post
            I always thought that hanging sweaters was bad since it stretched out the weave.
            I was concerned with that, too, when I started hanging them a few years back, but I've never had any issues so far.

Here's my favorite to round out the 12 Days of Cardigan. Got a few more in the closet but gonna go back to changing it up.

BR Merino shawl cardigan (thick and warm)
            J.Crew merino sweater and button down
            BR selvedge
            J.Crew Ludlow PCT
            Modded Invicta 8926
            Last edited by Nandyn; November 16, 2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• well played [MENTION=16026]Nandyn[/MENTION]

Comment

In the walk in closet? I hang all my cardigans, shawl sweaters, other thick/bulky sweaters.
                In NYC standards, you mean a 2nd bedroom?

Comment

• Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                  In NYC standards, you mean a 2nd bedroom?
                  Ouch, yeah, I suppose so? Our spare bedroom is a shoe & coat closet/office. Benefits of being DINKWADs (Dual Income No Kids With A Dog) in the burbs outside of Seattle. Although Seattle proper's housing costs are getting more ridiculous by the day.
                  Last edited by Nandyn; November 17, 2017, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Ouch, yeah, I suppose so? Our spare bedroom is a shoe & coat closet/office. Benefits of being DINKWADs (Dual Income No Kids With A Dog) in the burbs outside of Seattle. Although Seattle proper's housing costs are getting more ridiculous by the day.
                    I remember dinkwad days....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

• WIWT

Day off work but running around town catching up on chores...

Shirt - Proper Cloth
                      Sweater - Faherty
                      Jeans - Flint and Tinder
                      Belt - British Belt Company
                      Watch - Poljot Sturmanskie Gagarin 2001 Edition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• its finally cold enough to wear this in Arizona.
                        Jcrew denim shirt
                        Gap jeans
                        Redwing boots
                        Soki automatic watch

Comment

• Been a while since I posted.
                          Sport Coat: Suit Supply
                          OCBD: Kamakura
                          Tie: Michael Bastian
                          Pocket Square: The Tie Bar
                          Belt: Uniqlo
                          Jeans: Bonobos
                          Shoes: Alden (thrifted from eBay)
                          Briefcase: Jackson Wayne
                          Last edited by theskillets; November 20, 2017, 07:33 PM.
                          Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

• One of my favorite things to wear during the winter/fall

Jackets a bit chopped but oh well.

Comment

• Brown flannel suit for today’s interview

SuitSupply suit
                              Charles Tyrwhitt shirt
                              Chip Grenadine tie
                              J. Crew pocket square
                              Orient Bambino watch
                              Allen Edmonds shoes

Comment

• Sport Coat: Brooks Brothers
                                OCBD: Uniqlo
                                Pocket Square: The Tie Bar
                                Jeans: Bonobos
                                Shoes: Allen Edmonds Cordovan (thrifted on eBay)
                                Briefcase: Jackson Wayne
                                Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

Working...
                                X