This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madmanSCDP View Post
    [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] That brown tie wouldn't happen to be from Kamakura, would it? If so, my wife got me the exact same one for the holidays and it's quickly become my favorite.
    It's a Chipp grenadine; haven't tried Kamakura yet, but I imagine their ties are pretty nice. A bit disgraceful given that I'm in a city that has an actual Kamakura shop vs. online...

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
      Nice thx for suggestion. I have a similar cost in green recently purchased (custom) that I really like and will need to find time to post a WIWT on. Also opted for the gun check below, adding a different base color and fun pattern to my sportcoat game, which I think I posted a bit ago. I have basic sportcoats as well, but these are more fun.

For four season sportcoats, I now have two blue base sportcoats (true blue/navy solid, blue and navy check), one brown base (with blue plaid/windowpane), one tan base (the above gun check) and one grey base (the aforementioned grey/green), so feel good where I'm at since I have a few seasonal winter and summer sportcoats as well. Selective additions (and likely upgrades/swaps) is the name of the game going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nice. Like the idea of branching out. I did something similar last year, but just ended up with bolder patterns instead of different colors (namely a SS navy windowpane that I somewhat regret and goes mostly unworn). Something more subtle like that BR example, but maybe a different secondary color would have been much nicer I think. Learned that lesson the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post
        50 Shades of.... Purple.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
        good to see 50 shades of purple, pocket square is awesome, but not to button, button down collar is really strange.
        Eat what is good for your health but
        Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dangerpenguin View Post
            Nice. Like the idea of branching out. I did something similar last year, but just ended up with bolder patterns instead of different colors (namely a SS navy windowpane that I somewhat regret and goes mostly unworn). Something more subtle like that BR example, but maybe a different secondary color would have been much nicer I think. Learned that lesson the hard way.

Yeah, I haven't gotten to where I am without a few missteps along the way. Thankfully most of those were with OTR purchases I didn't need/use, vs. getting anything made I don't wear... except maybe 1 suit from last year that frankly doesn't see as much wear as I'd have hoped.

Comment

@Leadanderthal - I have some POW pants that are some of my favorites. I really want a POW sport coat but it seems they mostly come in cashmere which looks more F/W than 4 season which is what I am looking for. I find myself wondering if a 4 season POW sport coat exists.

Comment

Fit is great. The red tie is throwing me off a bit. I would have preferred something in green or non-navy-blue or even dark brown.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                  @Leadanderthal - I have some POW pants that are some of my favorites. I really want a POW sport coat but it seems they mostly come in cashmere which looks more F/W than 4 season which is what I am looking for. I find myself wondering if a 4 season POW sport coat exists.
                  They're definitely easy to wear! I wear these with everything. But yes, it seems POW comes in more F/W fabrics a lot of the time. I've seen 4 season suits (suitsupply has 1 or 2) but I can't say I've come across a sports coat yet...

Comment

They're definitely easy to wear! I wear these with everything. But yes, it seems POW comes in more F/W fabrics a lot of the time. I've seen 4 season suits (suitsupply has 1 or 2) but I can't say I've come across a sports coat yet...
                    I feel like the issue with a POW worsted wool (4 seasons) jacket is that it's a bit formal and looks like suit coat. By coming in cashmere, flannel, linen, etc. it makes it less formal and venture into sportcoat (vs. suit) territory.

I have two POW suits (navy and grey) that I love. A few pairs of pants as well, which get used with navy blazers, etc. as seen in the above fit from Leanderthal. A great way to break up a lot of solids, without going crazy in terms of color or distraction.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                      I feel like the issue with a POW worsted wool (4 seasons) jacket is that it's a bit formal and looks like suit coat. By coming in cashmere, flannel, linen, etc. it makes it less formal and venture into sportcoat (vs. suit) territory.

I have two POW suits (navy and grey) that I love. A few pairs of pants as well, which get used with navy blazers, etc. as seen in the above fit from Leanderthal. A great way to break up a lot of solids, without going crazy in terms of color or distraction.
                      Absolutely agree with this. Even a POW tie without a texture to it starts to look somewhat formal to me.

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] [MENTION=14682]Leanderthal[/MENTION] - I see what y'all are saying. My original thought was something cashmere for F/W then another SC for S/S. I am running out of closet space too which is bad.

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] [MENTION=14682]Leanderthal[/MENTION] I am running out of closet space too which is bad.
                          Haha, I'm about to have to start putting jackets under the bed! Or move to a new house... can't keep me down!

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] [MENTION=14682]Leanderthal[/MENTION] - I see what y'all are saying. My original thought was something cashmere for F/W then another SC for S/S. I am running out of closet space too which is bad.
                            Haha, I'm about to have to start putting jackets under the bed! Or move to a new house... can't keep me down!

I've started to store (currently in a dresser, but likely will need another place soon -- under bed, etc.) my not-in-season suits and sportcoats (and things like shorts, other than 1-2 pairs for vacation trips, ski gear, etc.) so I have enough room for this stuff. If you think Nashville is bad, try doing this in a NYC apartment that's probably the size of y'alls' closets

Comment

Don't get me wrong, we have room, I just want to have a wardrobe where everything is worn so I have to love something to purchase it now. There are some shirts I could do without but those are slowly getting replaced with more quality items. We have rooms the only reason I walk into is to clean or look for the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by doomx View Post
                                Fit is great. The red tie is throwing me off a bit. I would have preferred something in green or non-navy-blue or even dark brown.
                                I actually really like it for that reason--it gives it an unexpected pop. I appreciate fits like this because it's a pairing that I wouldn't initially choose myself since I traditionally go a safer route, but then gives me a ton of ideas when I see it working.

[MENTION=14682]Leanderthal[/MENTION] what are the details on the purple plaid sports coat? I absolutely love everything about that fit other than the undone buttons (collar and cuffs). I think you are too clean cut and too well put together to pull off sprezzatura. Instead, it either stands out as deliberate or as a mistake. Either way, it's the exact opposite of the look you are going for.

Comment

Working...
                                X