Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] cool, thanks! I didn't realize people tailored selvedge?

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post
      [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] cool, thanks! I didn't realize people tailored selvedge?

Just taking up the hem a bit. I'll take it to the tailor that's the same that makes chipps ties, and have a good denim practice, will use original hem etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
        Just taking up the hem a bit. I'll take it to the tailor that's the same that makes chipps ties, and have a good denim practice, will use original hem etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Ah, nice. I was just reading about it and it was said if the tailor doesn't have experience with that it will look effed up when cuffed. Not sure I trust my small town tailor enough... I'll stick with my beefy cuff [emoji4]

Comment

I've been breaking in my first pair of raw jeans as well, and just recently washed them had them hemmed by Paleo Denim here in Austin. They use a vintage chain stitch machine, charge $25, and you can ship them to and fro.

They did an an excellent job, quickly, on mine and I'll be using them again to take up a pair I just picked up from a forum member here.

Details here.
          Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
          Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
          --Jason Isbell

Comment

I finally broke down and bought a pair of raw selvedge. A birthday present to myself! Day one of breaking them in this weekend.

Happy Birthday Man, and you are getting better and better in presenting yourself in photographs.
            Eat what is good for your health but
            Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Comment

Originally posted by fiftyforfifty View Post
              Happy Birthday Man, and you are getting better and better in presenting yourself in photographs.
              Thanks Fitfty!

Comment

Ah, nice. I was just reading about it and it was said if the tailor doesn't have experience with that it will look effed up when cuffed. Not sure I trust my small town tailor enough... I'll stick with my beefy cuff [emoji4]

Originally posted by BillN View Post
                I've been breaking in my first pair of raw jeans as well, and just recently washed them had them hemmed by Paleo Denim here in Austin. They use a vintage chain stitch machine, charge $25, and you can ship them to and fro.

They did an an excellent job, quickly, on mine and I'll be using them again to take up a pair I just picked up from a forum member here.

Details here.
                I'm sure some denim heads would scoff at how I'm breaking in mine. More of an experiment than anything, but hopefully they'll come out nicely. I am due for a wash and hem sometime soon... that place looks legit, and way far south on Manchaca! I lived off of Manchaca for a bit during grad school, before it was cool

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] If you're in NYC you can have a chain stitch hem done at Blue in Green or Self Edge. Both places specialize in selvedge denim. To be honest though the chain stitch is somewhat overrated. I wouldn't get the original hem put back on either as it tends to look pretty bad after a while. From my experience a standard single needle lockstitch is the best.

Comment

[MENTION=14682]Leanderthal[/MENTION] congrats on getting featured on PTO! Saw your posting on their website the other day.

Comment

I did?! Thanks, I'll have to check they out!

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                        I'm sure some denim heads would scoff at how I'm breaking in mine. More of an experiment than anything, but hopefully they'll come out nicely. I am due for a wash and hem sometime soon... that place looks legit, and way far south on Manchaca! I lived off of Manchaca for a bit during grad school, before it was cool
                        And, getting cooler. This town is almost unrecognizable as the place I moved to a decade ago.

As for breaking in, I could care less about sick fades; I just wore them until I felt like it was time to wash them and tossed them into the laundry. Seems to be working out.
                        Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                        Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                        --Jason Isbell

Comment

Day two with the selvedge

Comment

As always, critiques welcome and encouraged!

Shirt: LL Bean
                            Jeans: BR Slim Kaihara Selvedge
                            Sweater: BR
                            Boots: Wolverine 1000 Mile in No. 8

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good. I don't know if it's just me but I always leave the top button on my sweaters unbuttoned as well as the bottom.
                              Beard game is on point btw[emoji108]

Comment

Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
                                Looks good. I don't know if it's just me but I always leave the top button on my sweaters unbuttoned as well as the bottom.
                                Beard game is on point btw[emoji108]
                                Thank you! I'll have to give the top button a try.

Comment

Working...
                                X