Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=3153]BB[/MENTION] thanks. The red trousers are a deep burgundy IRL, so they're a little easier to pull off than one might think.

Yes, this last fit I was chasing that color palette. I received a lot of compliments on this one when I was out and about. It stood out, but in a subdued sort of way. Older generations really took note of the vest.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, I imagine peacocking with tweed is much less noticeable than bright colors and trendy cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by jharrisonbarrett View Post
        Date night

Chinos, shirt & shoes: J.Crew (common theme)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
        That's a killer combo, man. I wish I could look even half that cool on date night!

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post

I know next to nothing about black tie. Is your lack of button studs the problem here? Looks good to anyone who doesn't know better.
          I think the faux pas being referred to are:
          -uncovered suit buttons
          -lack of studs or covered placket
          -wearing a watch?

Regardless, great example of how the vast majority of looking good comes down to fit and how you carry yourself. [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] great outfit.
          Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post
            I think the faux pas being referred to are:
            -uncovered suit buttons
            -lack of studs or covered placket
            -wearing a watch?

Regardless, great example of how the vast majority of looking good comes down to fit and how you carry yourself. [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] great outfit.
            And notch lapel on tux. And moreso the watch being a sports watch vs. a dress watch (but some old time sticklers believe you shouldn't wear any watch with formal attire... but I find that a bit silly in this day and age).

EDIT: Just wanted to note that I don't really mind these faux pas in some circumstances---i.e., if you don't have options, or it's less of a true formal black tie affair. I have various levels of black tie attire that I break out from time to time that include some rule breaking items (my now-backup tux has notch lapels, I'll be wearing a non-dress watch this weekend in black tie, etc.).
            Last edited by hornsup84; September 26, 2016, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post
              [MENTION=3153]BB[/MENTION] thanks. The red trousers are a deep burgundy IRL, so they're a little easier to pull off than one might think.

Yes, this last fit I was chasing that color palette. I received a lot of compliments on this one when I was out and about. It stood out, but in a subdued sort of way. Older generations really took note of the vest.

Yes, where did you get that vest?

Comment

Originally posted by firemunkee View Post
                Yes, where did you get that vest?
                SS outlet sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post
                  SS outlet sale.

Should have known. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by connersw View Post
                    As I posted in another thread, I actually think dressing well in these situations is almost more difficult. Which is even more reason why WIWT posts would be helpful. I don't think dressing well necessarily has to be about dressing up, and pics for inspiration as well as feedback would certainly help toward that end. It doesn't have to be about outclassing anyone. I've really appreciated some of Joe's Style Scenarios lately since they've gravitated towards that casual middle ground. [MENTION=13537]JDI[/MENTION] used to post some really great WIWT fits in this area too on the days he worked from the home office. Overall though, there doesn't seem to be much on the site in that area despite a preference for brands like J.Crew, BR, etc that, to me at least, seem to represent that casual but still well dressed aesthetic.

I too work from home, and as an older guy with kids, I don't do much going out so putting on a sport coat isn't usually in the cards for me. I'd still like to dress well though so I don't get into a rut of walking around in pajamas or soccer shorts. I agree, summer can be especially difficult since you can't benefit from layering. But again, with a bigger challenge there is even more reason why WIWT posts are helpful.
                    I've been way too busy these past few months to post...I will try to get back in the habit. Here is one from today.

Shirt - H & M Linen
                    Pants - Gap Twill
                    Belt - BR
                    Shoes - BR Suede
                    Time-X

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] pretty much called the formalwear faux pas... uncovered shirt buttons and tux buttons like [MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION] mentioned, plus notch lapels and a sports watch on rubber strap. Not as evident in the photo is the fact that I also haven't bothered to get the jacket sleeves shortened to an appropriate length. I only wear this tux (JCF) to play in the symphony so I don't really sweat the details. Someday I will upgrade to Suitsupply or Benjamin Sartorial or something... but that's a hard upgrade to swallow as nested tux trousers will almost certainly be way too small for me.

Here's today, at mediation:

J.Crew Crosby suit (one size down from usual), shirt, and PS, Lands' End wool/silk tie, Nordstrom 1901 chukkas, Hamilton watch on Stowa strap
                      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by 07Rams View Post
                        That's a killer combo, man. I wish I could look even half that cool on date night!
                        Thanks [MENTION=15048]07Rams[/MENTION]!

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
                          You did great. Nice fit and classic combination. One suggestion: when you have an OCBD by itself, roll the sleeves up. It looks more relaxed but also more put-together at the same time.

Looks good. The print on the shirt is cool. So, how'd the date go?

Looks great. I can't pull off red pants or peak lapels myself. The jacket looks incredible.

I know next to nothing about black tie. Is your lack of button studs the problem here? Looks good to anyone who doesn't know better.

Yes, the vest and jacket clash a bit (patterns are somewhat similar in size, colors are close but not a match, the pocket square is another variation on cream/tan too but also not very close in shade), but I'm guessing Leanderthal was going for that. I like this a lot, myself. And the precedent for mis-matched tweed jacket and vest is certainly there. Though to some people, it probably does border on making you look like an extra from Downton Abbey. Just out of curiosity: what do random people say out and about when they see you wearing something like this?
                          Thanks @BB. The wife and I went to an adult themed event at a kids museum which was pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by jharrisonbarrett View Post
                            Thanks @BB. The wife and I went to an adult themed event at a kids museum which was pretty good

Sounds kinky [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                              Sounds kinky [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Haha [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION]. My bad, poor sentence structure. It was clean fun, minus the alcohol.

Comment

First time posting to this thread. I realize this is a bit of a northern lights look; I felt like the photos didn't quite do it justice.

-Ledbury Franklin 5 pocket canvas pants (navy)
                                -Bonobos knit button-down
                                -Brooks Brothers Red Fleece donegal sport coat
                                -H&M 'premium' suede derby shoes
                                -Helgray Silverstone chronograph

Comment

Working...
                                X