This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BB View Post
    About the ties: almost all are thrifted or eBayed. Most were under $5. I have one bought new from Barney's and one from Berg & Berg, and a few years ago I got a couple from the Knottery (before they jacked up their prices), and a few from the Tie Bar (before I wised up), but that's it. There are quite a few raw silk ties floating around from the 70s and 80s that aren't labeled "raw silk," and most - if you can find them - are only a couple of bucks, because the people selling them think they are just ratty ties...
    Dang, I need to start looking on eBay for ties. I don't even need to wear ties, but all the ones I have are shiny poly 90s style. What other brands would you recommend?

Comment

[MENTION=13775]connersw[/MENTION] Nice. I like the chucks and actually think the 9" works well for you. A shorter inseam would maybe help with the "chopped" look you mentioned if you still felt that way, but everything looks proportional even with the sneakers.

Comment

Originally posted by firemunkee View Post
        It's my first pair of that type of boot so I love them! The color is similar to your 1k in #8 that you just posted though so I don't know if you would want two very similar boots in the same color. Then again, why do I have multiple pairs of Strands in different colors haha. The mini lug is a nice idea. I haven't really tested it out yet since I babied my boots last year when I got them. In all honesty I don't expect much from them in terms of performance, maybe just slightly better than the standard sole. I wouldn't use these in serious preciptation/snow/ice. Haha even in light snow I bet the lugs will get packed quickly and its all downhill from there. Looks cool though
        Thanks! I might have a little bit of a fetish for #8/burgundy/merlot so sounds like oxblood will fit right in! I wear jeans a lot during the colder seasons and just love the contrast of the redish tint with the blue.

Comment

Originally posted by firemunkee View Post
          Dang, I need to start looking on eBay for ties. I don't even need to wear ties, but all the ones I have are shiny poly 90s style. What other brands would you recommend?
          I suppose I don't think as much about brands as I do about style. The tie I'm wearing today is from Bloomingdale's, circa 1970. Yesterday's was from a manufacturer called "the Custom Shop," circa 1980. I started off looking for linen, cotton and wool ties, because I knew they wouldn't have the sheen of silk. I looked for ties that were between 3 and 3.5 inches, because they weren't too skinny (I'm a wide dude, YMMV), and longer than 56 inches, because I'm 6 foot 2. I also looked for ties that had patterns that I thought were cool, like fuzzy, loosely woven fibers and diagonal stripes, and that were in colors I knew would go with my jackets. And finally, if the images on eBay show the tie knotted, you can see if it looks like a decent knot. Recently, I started looking for raw silk ties, which you can tell from the slubbiness of the fibers in the photos. That's my advice, anyway.

Comment

Fall season calls for some layering and boots!

5' 6" | 143 lbs | 29x30 pants | 36S jacket | 14.5 shirt | 8 shoe size

Comment

Date night

Chinos, shirt & shoes: J.Crew (common theme)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

First post here been lurking for a while. Running errands and chasing a 16mo old today.
                Excuse the mess we are remodeling.

Shirt: JCF
                Pants: Levi's
                Boots: AE Higgins Mills
                Watch: Mvmt
                Belt: Anson
                Glasses: Maui Jim Baby beach

How did I do?

Comment

Saturday errands & hopefully the last 90 degree day.

Shirt: target
                  Shorts: J.Crew
                  Shoes: Adidas

Comment

[MENTION=15560]panelman[/MENTION] Solid getup. I really like how interchangeable that outfit is. If you want more formal, put on a sweater or blazer. If you want more casual, untuck the shirt and wear some chucks. Well done.

Comment

Xpost from SF 's Friday Challenge "The Great Outdoors.
                      Wool/silk SS jacket
                      S&M shirt
                      Thrifted wool tie
                      JAB burgundy calvary twills
                      SS suede double monks

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Comment

So many faux pas, so little time.

Ben

Comment

lbd... I'm black tie too tonight!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post

I feel like the vest and jacket clash. Love that jacket though

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panelman View Post
                                How did I do?
                                You did great. Nice fit and classic combination. One suggestion: when you have an OCBD by itself, roll the sleeves up. It looks more relaxed but also more put-together at the same time.

Originally posted by jharrisonbarrett View Post
                                Date night
                                Looks good. The print on the shirt is cool. So, how'd the date go?

Xpost from SF 's Friday Challenge "The Great Outdoors."
                                Looks great. I can't pull off red pants or peak lapels myself. The jacket looks incredible.

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                                So many faux pas, so little time.
                                I know next to nothing about black tie. Is your lack of button studs the problem here? Looks good to anyone who doesn't know better.

Yes, the vest and jacket clash a bit (patterns are somewhat similar in size, colors are close but not a match, the pocket square is another variation on cream/tan too but also not very close in shade), but I'm guessing Leanderthal was going for that. I like this a lot, myself. And the precedent for mis-matched tweed jacket and vest is certainly there. Though to some people, it probably does border on making you look like an extra from Downton Abbey. Just out of curiosity: what do random people say out and about when they see you wearing something like this?

Comment

Working...
                                X