This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amesbury View Post
    For the work-from-home guys, it seems like there are some who wear footwear like shoes and boots inside their home. Am I interpreting the posts correctly? Am I in the minority for thinking shoes that I wear outside my home would be dirty to wear inside my home? Unless of course you have dedicated indoor footwear that is...
    Nope, I'm a no shoes in the house guy too. That door behind me is my closet. I usually take these right when I get dressed, and I only wear the shoes in the house to walk down the steps and out the door. I'm usually in and out multiple times a day carting kids around, and I take them on and off each time (another reason I like flip-flops). So when I'm home, they stay by the door until I carry them back up to the closet at night.

[MENTION=11797]devastitis[/MENTION] Oh, man, I love that face. It's so iconic. I have a black suede pair x The Hundreds that have Stan's face replaced with Ben and Bobby with fuzzy mustaches. I'm just a big Adidas fanboy though. I want those primeknits bad. I fondled a pair in the Adidas store the other week and they feel super soft.

Comment

I seriously can't imagine wearing boots right now. I'm very jealous. It's about 90 degrees all week long here.

Dangerpenguin, what kind of shoes are those, and the jacket? Nice combination. About the lighting: are you working inside a Terry Gilliam movie?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
        In the spirit of our recent discussion, here is WIWT. Working from home.

Shirt: BR Luxe touch polo
        Jeans: BR Slim Kaihara Selvage
        Watch: Timex Expedition
        Boots: Red Wing Iron Ranger

I have a couple of "firsts" going today... This is the first pair of raw denim and the first pair of selvedge denim I've ever owned. First button fly, which will be an adventure. It will be interesting because I'm not at all interested in fades. I like to keep my jeans dark.

Feel free to critique!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
        how do you feel about the iron rangers? I have a pair Beckman's and while I love them... I feel it's missing something on the toe, which I believe the IRs accomplish perfectly

Comment

Originally posted by Amesbury View Post
          For the work-from-home guys, it seems like there are some who wear footwear like shoes and boots inside their home. Am I interpreting the posts correctly? Am I in the minority for thinking shoes that I wear outside my home would be dirty to wear inside my home? Unless of course you have dedicated indoor footwear that is...
          The only time I don't have shoes/boots on are when I'm preparing to sleep, sleeping, or just stopped sleeping and getting dressed. I have a pair of shoes dedicated to lawn mowing, and a pair of boots dedicated to yard work/muddy activities that are not worn inside. All of my other shoes/boots are kept relatively clean, so I wear them inside. I'm never without something on my feet. Just one of my quarks. I don't do bare feet or sandals.

Comment

Originally posted by tairby View Post
            how do you feel about the iron rangers? I have a pair Beckman's and while I love them... I feel it's missing something on the toe, which I believe the IRs accomplish perfectly
            So far I like them. Today is only my second time wearing them. They are still breaking in, and thus not quite what I'd call "comfortable" yet. As far as asthetics, I like them. I was concerned before I bought them that the toebox would be too bulbous looking, but that's not the case at all (it's the same as the Beckman I believe). Mine are Amber Harness, with the nitrol cork sole. So far I haven't found them lacking in traction, even though they have no tread to speak of. My only point of comparison are my Wolverine 1000 mile boots which have a slightly slimmer profile and were comfortable the very first wear. I like both. The IRs will be my more rugged boots, and the 1000 Mile are my dressy-er boots.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
              First day of fall... you know what that means. It's beatbox season. Boots and coats and boots and coats and boots and coats...

I'm with you on the boots, still too warm for coats here though. Pulling all my boots out of the closet now

Comment

[MENTION=3153]BB[/MENTION] Terry Gilliam lighting might actually help explain my mood at work. The Jacket is from Bonobos and the shoes are Cole Haan Lunargrands. Fabric composition on the jacket is a funky Tessuti wool blend that is new to me -- 78% wool, 20% polyamide, 2% elastane -- but it wears nicely and has a polished look that I appreciate. You have a very nice collection of ties, by the way. But what really caught my interest from your latest post was the shoulder bag on the floor. Is that a Saddleback?
                Last edited by dangerpenguin; September 22, 2016, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by connersw View Post
                  @jharrisonbarrett Dig that jacket. These are the type of fits that I really appreciate because I wouldn't traditionally pair black jeans with a blue denim shirt and brown boots, but the jacket (in a color I wouldn't pick on my own) ends up pulling everything together really well. Great inspiration.

Apt 9 / J.Crew Club / Reef
                  I notice you get a lot of mileage out of that watch by switching bands.

that's one of the many things i've learned reading the archives of this thread. i need to step up by watchband game.

speaking of watches, i own a few, but i'm not happy with their current states.

i have a 1956 mechanical Longines dress watch, tank style, 10K Gold Filled, with dk brown lizo-style calfskin leather band with a stainless buckle. yuck on the band. yuck yuck. the strap buckle doesn't even match the case. i really love...i mean love...the ritual of setting/winding it each time i wear it. it keeps fantastic time. it's simple but elegant. the face is a creme color with some subtle texture, the hands are basic gold triangulars that come to a sharp point, and it has a sub-dial sweeping seconds hand.

it's not this watch, but pretty close:

Two Questions... suggestions on a new band? also...i'm 36. should i be wearing a gold watch? i read somewhere that no man under 50 should wear gold on the wrist. i know this site tends to have a "wear what you dig!" mentality. I can't afford a Cartier Tank (on my dream list). This was my compromise.

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post

I seriously can't imagine wearing boots right now. I'm very jealous. It's about 90 degrees all week long here.

Dangerpenguin, what kind of shoes are those, and the jacket? Nice combination. About the lighting: are you working inside a Terry Gilliam movie?
                    what blazer is that?

Comment

I still have a pair of Doc Marten brown leather boots i owned in High School in 1996. Those #)$(#ers just won't wear out. Now they're my "work in my wood shop" boots, but should I revive them and put them back in going-out circulation?

they're kind of bubble-toe-ish, but not altogether different from the boots i'm seeing on fashion racks today.

Anyone have any suggestion to modernize them, like a different lace? like maybe a suede-looking lace or something?

i'll post a picture later tonight. they're pretty much like this:

Comment

I think the unstylish thing about Docs is the super thick sole... hopefully if you've owned them 20 years you've worn that down a bit so they are a little sleeker

As far as laces go, I would think matching leather laces or matching flat waxed laces would look the best.
                        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by DandyLion View Post
                          speaking of watches, i own a few, but i'm not happy with their current states.

i have a 1956 mechanical Longines dress watch, tank style, 10K Gold Filled, with dk brown lizo-style calfskin leather band with a stainless buckle. yuck on the band. yuck yuck. the strap buckle doesn't even match the case. i really love...i mean love...the ritual of setting/winding it each time i wear it. it keeps fantastic time. it's simple but elegant. the face is a creme color with some subtle texture, the hands are basic gold triangulars that come to a sharp point, and it has a sub-dial sweeping seconds hand.

it's not this watch, but pretty close:

Two Questions... suggestions on a new band? also...i'm 36. should i be wearing a gold watch? i read somewhere that no man under 50 should wear gold on the wrist. i know this site tends to have a "wear what you dig!" mentality. I can't afford a Cartier Tank (on my dream list). This was my compromise.

thanks!
                          A big gold watch on a bracelet is gaudy on anybody. A small, understated, vintage gold watch on a leather strap is perfectly tasteful.

For that watch I would opt for a simple mid brown calfskin strap... something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Hadley-Roma-M...ley+roma+glove

Depending on where you buy the strap you can either request that the seller switch out the SS buckle for a gold-plated one, or just buy the gold buckle separately and switch it yourself. Independent watch shops or watch repair shops can be good places to buy leather straps, because you're not gonna save a lot of money buying them online.
                          Ben

Comment

I think the unstylish thing about Docs is the super thick sole... hopefully if you've owned them 20 years you've worn that down a bit so they are a little sleeker

As far as laces go, I would think matching leather laces or matching flat waxed laces would look the best.
                            it really is fine to tell me, no dude. do not break those out. wear them in your wood shop with your carhart worker jeans and your corduroy shirt.

in fact, it would give me a reason to shop. the only negative reaction you'll get is from my wife. i've been on a bit of spree lately, after having been on a looooong clothing famine. she's not as excited about my style-renai$$ance as i am.

i don't actually have carharts.

Comment

Originally posted by DandyLion View Post
                              it really is fine to tell me, no dude. do not break those out. wear them in your wood shop with your carhart worker jeans and your corduroy shirt.

in fact, it would give me a reason to shop. the only negative reaction you'll get is from my wife. i've been on a bit of spree lately, after having been on a looooong clothing famine. she's not as excited about my style-renai$$ance as i am.
                              Well I think there is a time and place for inelegant shitkickers. My Chippewas (which I've owned for a few years and are quite a lot more scuffed-up than this picture shows) are the kind of boots I like to wear on weekends or walking my dog in shitty weather or, on very rare occasions, to job sites for work (I'm in construction law). If you're looking for a boot you're going to wear just to sit around at a coffee shop or try to dress up for business casual, maybe opt for something with a more modern silhouette and nicer leather. (I've got my Wolverine 1,000 Mile Krause boots for that.)
                              Ben

Comment

Well I think there is a time and place for inelegant shitkickers. My Chippewas (which I've owned for a few years and are quite a lot more scuffed-up than this picture shows) are the kind of boots I like to wear on weekends or walking my dog in shitty weather or, on very rare occasions, to job sites for work (I'm in construction law). If you're looking for a boot you're going to wear just to sit around at a coffee shop or try to dress up for business casual, maybe opt for something with a more modern silhouette and nicer leather. (I've got my Wolverine 1,000 Mile Krause boots for that.)
                                you're right. it's the sole.

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X