• Show
Clear All

feeling blue today

BR jacket & pants
    JCF shirt
    J&M loafers

Comment

Originally posted by connersw View Post
      As I posted in another thread, I actually think dressing well in these situations is almost more difficult. Which is even more reason why WIWT posts would be helpful. I don't think dressing well necessarily has to be about dressing up, and pics for inspiration as well as feedback would certainly help toward that end. It doesn't have to be about outclassing anyone. I've really appreciated some of Joe's Style Scenarios lately since they've gravitated towards that casual middle ground. [MENTION=13537]JDI[/MENTION] used to post some really great WIWT fits in this area too on the days he worked from the home office. Overall though, there doesn't seem to be much on the site in that area despite a preference for brands like J.Crew, BR, etc that, to me at least, seem to represent that casual but still well dressed aesthetic.

I too work from home, and as an older guy with kids, I don't do much going out so putting on a sport coat isn't usually in the cards for me. I'd still like to dress well though so I don't get into a rut of walking around in pajamas or soccer shorts. I agree, summer can be especially difficult since you can't benefit from layering. But again, with a bigger challenge there is even more reason why WIWT posts are helpful.
      Very good points, all around. I would encourage the people who frequent this thread to be more willing to offer constructive criticism (and those who might receive it to accept it in the spirit in which it was given). A lot of the comments seem to be general approval and props for a nice outfit, which of course is great, but not particularly helpful to a lot of lurkers since generally those outfits are business-level/semi-formal. It could just be that the most frequent posters are those who know their stuff (@LesserBlackDog and [MENTION=14682]Leanderthal[/MENTION] definitely know what they are doing) and don't need any constructive criticism.

I could be off base, as admittedly I don't read every post in the thread, but my impression is that generally props are given for great outfits, while the others are politely ignored rather than constructively criticized.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
        I could be off base, as admittedly I don't read every post in the thread, but my impression is that generally props are given for great outfits, while the others are politely ignored rather than constructively criticized.
        I would say that's an accurate statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
          Originally posted by dangerpenguin View Post
          I would say that's an accurate statement.
          Thirded. This is one place where I think that a "Like" button would be useful. People won't take the time to reply/quote for every post, but they'd probably toss a like out, which would probably motivate people to post more with even that little amount of positive feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
            Thirded. This is one place where I think that a "Like" button would be useful. People won't take the time to reply/quote for every post, but they'd probably toss a like out, which would probably motivate people to post more with even that little amount of positive feedback.
            I vaguely remember people complaining about this idea in the past -- something about WIWT becoming a "pissing contest" for likes. But if I could like your comment, I would, because I agree with everything you've said about encouraging more posts and eliminating pointless comments.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerpenguin View Post
              I vaguely remember people complaining about this idea in the past -- something about WIWT becoming a "pissing contest" for likes. But if I could like your comment, I would, because I agree with everything you've said about encouraging more posts and eliminating pointless comments.
              There have never been 'likes', but that's the debate on a WIWT thread more generally -- is it just an ego-boosting/pissing contest likes contest, or is it helpful to others and thus a useful thread. I don't think having 'likes' would make it any moreso a 'likes' contest that it already is (if that's your view of the thread, it's likely already your view and won't change), and would have the benefits I mentioned. Alas, this is a pretty futile discussion anyway, since I doubt we'll be seeing any change on that front by Threads anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                Agree. I would be down for that.

Comment

The last time I offered criticism, someone got their feelings hurt so I stopped.

Comment

I would like to encourage others to post their fits more often as well. It's inspirational to see other people's unique style at work, and to see them bring that to the table. It was definitely the main attraction to for me when I first arrived here. Honestly, I was terrified to post anything at this time a year ago, but I eventually came around and it has perhaps been one of the most useful tools I've discovered in shaping and bettering my personal style and tastes. Other people will see things that you don't, and them pointing them out (in a constructive manner of course) is not a bad mark, but more of an opportunity to better oneself. We all lack something. Of course you have to take everything with a grain of salt and choose your battles or it will drive you mad. [MENTION=12115]doomx[/MENTION] pointed out an issue with the fit of my trousers not too long ago, and it has probably been the most positive critique I've received. Had he not, I may never would have even noticed it, and it turned out to be a huge influence to my style. Dappered is a pretty friendly and supportive atmosphere, when compared to some other websites, and there's generally very little trolling here, which I believe some may be afraid of. And any unnecessary amount of trolling is usually shut down pretty quickly. You don't have to match someone else, or be up to their level of formality, or try to out dress anyone. It's about you. And I think that was Joe's intent behind it to begin with. He posts a wide variety of ensembles, not just suits and ties with shell shoes. To each his own. The concept that we're all different people in different places and situations is a pretty well accepted notion here. You only see pics from me once or twice a week because I go to work everyday in a uniform. I dress purely for sport and enjoyment. May be silly, but it's my hobby and I take much pride and enjoyment in doing it. So, date night, church, weekend social events, etc. But I like to post pictures to receive critique because basically every fit I try is a new experiment for me since I have no standard of dress to uphold, maybe it will inspire others, and it keeps the community alive. And sure, it can be a bit narcissistic, but under it all, isn't there a small underlying sliver of that in anyone who takes pride in how they dress? To enjoy doing it, and to look good and to feel good while you are? So post up boys! Ok, I'm stepping of my soap box now. And thank you for the compliment, [MENTION=10629]Mr. Charles[/MENTION], but I feel like I rarely know what I'm doing, and everyone can use constructive criticism here and there

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Comment

Good discussion. To reiterate some of the general ideas I'm hearing: (1) it would help to reassert that this is a space for constructive criticism, and people should be open to that if they post here, (2) we need an easier way to signal "like" than commenting to increase participation, and (3) summertime and/or casual work environments don't get people excited to post. I'm with Leanderthal: it's nice to get criticism.

Comment

I've never been a big poster on here, but I definitely do feel like the thread has becalmed to an extent. My outfits have been ultra-casual or repetitive the past month or so, hence my personal post deficit, but I also haven't found a way to effectively deal with the lack of a full-length mirror at college. If any of the more experienced WIWT-goers/ photographers would like to weigh in on how to effectively self-photograph without a tall mirror, I would greatly appreciate it, and I imagine many lurkers on the thread would as well.

EDIT: Also, I would agree with the points regarding summer outfits. I've definitely been wearing a lot of the same t-shirts and polos recently, which just doesn't make the most exciting WIWT. There's a significant section of my closet which should be getting more play now that it's fall, going into winter.
                        Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Comment

Speaking of criticism, I don't have anything but "good job" for Hank, Scorpio or Dangerpenguin. Conner, when I'm home from work or on the weekends in the summer, I basically go for your look there. But you do it a lot better than me. I'm a fan of the OCBD with shorts.

Danger, that's a nice combination of a loose weave jacket, jeans and loafers. I rarely go tieless during the day, but I might venture out there if it stays this hot much longer. I'm roasting.

Hank, great jacket. How is it possibly that cold where you are?!?

Comment

In the spirit of the discussion, here's my fall fit during the day. Featuring personal favorites from UNIQLO and Red Wing, and a CT shirt I don't wear as much as I maybe should.

Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
                              Hank, great jacket. How is it possibly that cold where you are?!?
                              I'm in northern canada, fall is in full force here. won't be long now before I get to break out the wool coat and deerskin gloves

Comment

Rainy day

Jacket: Penfield
                                Denim Shirt & Pants: J.Crew
                                Boots: Alden

Comment

Working...
                                X