This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Taking advantage of some unseasonably cool summer weather to dust off the ol' outerwear.

Epaulet jacket, Spier&McKay shirt, LE chinos and belt, Clark's boots, Timex watch.
    Really like that jacket. I gotta invest in a decent leather one this fall. Right now, although it's been a bit cool in the midwest, but 85 or so is still a little toasty for any kind of jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
      I do not like Oxfords without socks. The only shoes I could do sockless (but I still rarely do) in a tailored setting are loafers. The way I see this is that if I am formal enough for tie (more so with Oxfords), I should be wearing socks. If I am doing SC without tie and loafers, I may skip the socks. This is an ensemble for dinner with friends for me.

Also, a subjective comment would be that your trousers in general are slightly too slim and too low rise. This isn't the case in this current look, as the trousers seem casual enough to make this a nice modern look. But e.g. your previous post on the same page, has some pulling lines on the left thigh and even more importantly loss of the crease on the right thigh. This makes the drape less than ideal, and I have noticed that on other fits as well. In terms of the raise, this again is subjective and less of an issue compared to the loss of drape.

I have to say that I like your posts overall and I think your collar/tie/lapel combinations are awesome.

Cheers.

Comment

[MENTION=12115]doomx[/MENTION] thank you for the constructive feedback, I do appreciate it! I'm relatively new at this and I am still experimenting with me style. I like to see what kind of comments I will get with certain looks so I consider it totally trail and error at this point, so thanks! I'm honestly not real crazy about the sockless look with the Oxfords either. I liked it the other week with the suede so I gave it a whirl. It looked better in my head though, and I feel like the top half and the bottom half of this outfit contrasted too much between formal/casual. I consider this one more of a flop. Pants are a problem area for me and I am aware of the unflattering look. I have a very hard time finding fits that work well without spending an arm and a leg on tailoring. Unfortunately, I bought most of my pants earlier on before I knew too much about fit and I haven't replaced them with a more proper fit as of yet. I really need to go MTM on them but the $$$ gets me. Thanks again, and I hope your week goes well!

Comment

I'm not typically a fan of sockless oxfords either, but I thought you made them work in this fit due to the lack of break in the pants and the overall modern look.

From your other fits, you do tend to wear all of your clothing slimmer than I personally prefer to dress, but your age and your physique allow you to pull it off. If I had one point of constructive criticism, it would be to agree with [MENTION=12115]doomx[/MENTION] that some of your pants are a bit too tight.

In general though, I've really enjoyed your fits. I think they've been some of the highlights of WIWT the last month or so.

Comment

Thank you so much [MENTION=13775]connersw[/MENTION]

Alright fellas, I'll soon begin operation pants reformation!

Comment

Super casual Sunday. JCF shirt, LE shorts, Rancourt loafers, Seiko watch on NATO.
              Ben

Comment

Alright fellas, I'll soon begin operation pants reformation!
                For what it's worth, I really liked both outfits and wouldn't have noticed the "issues" with your pants had I not read the comments from doomx and connersw. I'm not disagreeing with them, mind you; I consider myself a bit of a newbie when it comes to the proper fit of men's clothing. But the fit issues that they're commenting on fairly minor and the overall look is pretty sharp.

As to the sockless oxfords look...I think that it's a matter of taste and determining what is appropriate for your particular social circle. Most of my friends and acquaintances are middle-aged and not-so-hip, so I wouldn't even try to pull it off. But if that works for the venue that you were attending, it looks just fine, IMO.

Comment

[MENTION=15111]TMann[/MENTION] thank you for the compliment! Most of my social circle includes mid twenty year olds that don't really give one care or another about the way someone does or doesn't dress, so there is nothing in particular that is or isn't acceptable. I could wear a suit or flip flops and cargo shorts and I'm sure no one would bat an eye for the most part. That being said, I dress solely for my own personal pleasure so I don't mind trying different things. Haha, maybe I need a different social circle to be around in order to get some feedback.... [MENTION=13775]connersw[/MENTION] [MENTION=12115]doomx[/MENTION] I do agree with the issue of my pants but a lot of SuitSupply's stuff is promoted to fit more like that, and I'm very attracted to the Neapoltin style. I'm not saying SS does it all right, and I don't care for all of their stuff. But I have modeled my style more in that direction, just FWIW

Comment

By the way, what jacket is this that you're wearing in the photo? I really like the color and the the texture of the material.

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
                      By the way, what jacket is this that you're wearing in the photo? I really like the color and the the texture of the material.
                      It's a SS Havana.

Comment

This one specifically I believe.
                        http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jacke...l?cgid=Jackets
                        It's a touch lighter IRL.

Comment

[MENTION=14682]Leanderthal[/MENTION], the Suitsupply look is fine overall, but even the Suitsupply sales associates, who sport these looks to the t, admit (at least to me) that this tightness is unrealistic. One of them told me he has a real hard time putting his shoes on with these tight pants Now, your pants aren't that tight and I don't think they are very problematic overall, but you may want to try going up a size, and then having your tailor take the waist in, and taper them from the knee down. Not sure it would work great, but it is a thought, and often what I have done with some of my pants.

Comment

For what it's worth, i go sockless in dress shoes 99.9% of the time (exception being funerals), even in oxfords dressed fully formally. then again i never wear a tie either, that way the look kinda works better together. the pocket square is kinda too fancy if you want to go sockless as well. great look for you, but adding socks/dropping the tie and simplifying the pocket square would help.

Comment

Originally posted by doomx View Post
                              [MENTION=14682]Leanderthal[/MENTION], the Suitsupply look is fine overall, but even the Suitsupply sales associates, who sport these looks to the t, admit (at least to me) that this tightness is unrealistic. One of them told me he has a real hard time putting his shoes on with these tight pants
                              Haha, that's awesome he told you that.
                              you may want to try going up a size, and then having your tailor take the waist in, and taper them from the knee down. Not sure it would work great, but it is a thought, and often what I have done with some of my pants.
                              Alright, I will give this a try. My only concern is being the waist. Even in most of the pants I currently have in 32 the waist needs taken in. So if I go up to a 33 or 34 to accommodate for the thigh it might create other problem areas. I'm going to start experimenting though. Thank you for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by hauttedoggie View Post
                                SWEET! Saddle Shoes! Well played summer ensemble!

and I'm jealous; I had a similar cotton khaki suit from LE that is now headed to eBay b/c I'm now too fat. I've been stalking eBay for a replacement, but being an xtall is definitely a limiting factor.
                                .... But back to the original thought: Good on you, well played
                                Thank you. The khaki suit pretty much only sees the light of day during the summer months, but I like it. The saddle shoes on the other hand I try to fit in to my wardrobe whenever the style/mood strikes.

Comment

Working...
                                X