This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Red Dead, great games -- had totally forgotten about them until you mentioned them.

I own the wine, it's phenomenal. Just ordered a bunch this morning: purple (not lilac), brown, slate blue, and rust... just want to add black to finish it out.
    Christmas in May!!! Do you wear ties for work, or just wanted to round out your collection?

Comment

Originally posted by believe0101 View Post
      Christmas in May!!! Do you wear ties for work, or just wanted to round out your collection?
      Dress code doesn't officially require it, but I wear ties up to 4 times a week. Office is 'business professional' so I don't need a tie technically (min is dress slacks and a buttondown), but most partners wear a suit and tie a majority of the time--a holdover from 5+ years ago when we were business attire all the time--and unofficially they like seeing us associates in the same. I've been doing nice sportcoats and slacks more often lately, which works for when I don't have any in-person client meetings.

Comment

Dress code doesn't officially require it, but I wear ties up to 4 times a week. Office is 'business professional' so I don't need a tie technically (min is dress slacks and a buttondown), but most partners wear a suit and tie a majority of the time--a holdover from 5+ years ago when we were business attire all the time--and unofficially they like seeing us associates in the same. I've been doing nice sportcoats and slacks more often lately, which works for when I don't have any in-person client meetings.
        Neat. I work in higher ed, so dress code is all over the place. I like a jacket when it's chilly, but now that I've finally invested in some warm-weather sportcoats I think I can wear them year-round too.

Comment

I have to say TTB ties that I have tie a reliably great knot but some of the fabrics lack depth which is understandable. I have a chipp grenadine (custom at 3.5 in) and really like it, but it's hard to get a nice knot out of it. I would like another grenadine in wine, but I will probably try hober when it's time, since I am a fun of 3.3+ ties and that's my only option really. I can possibly get another custom chipp but I am not impressed with the knot so far.

Comment

Originally posted by believe0101 View Post
            Neat. I work in higher ed, so dress code is all over the place. I like a jacket when it's chilly, but now that I've finally invested in some warm-weather sportcoats I think I can wear them year-round too.
            The dress code is pretty neat in that I can wear a lot of variation between the more casual chinos and a buttondown (on Fridays at most, or if I've worked so much I don't care) up through a sharp suit and tie combo. As I get more senior / closer to being put up for partner, I'm going to wear more and more suits and ties, but still nice to have some options!

Comment

Originally posted by doomx View Post
              I have to say TTB ties that I have tie a reliably great knot but some of the fabrics lack depth which is understandable. I have a chipp grenadine (custom at 3.5 in) and really like it, but it's hard to get a nice knot out of it. I would like another grenadine in wine, but I will probably try hober when it's time, since I am a fun of 3.3+ ties and that's my only option really. I can possibly get another custom chipp but I am not impressed with the knot so far.
              That's a bit surprising, as I find the regular Chipp ties an excellent knot. Maybe has to do with the change in size/width.

Comment

Red Dead, great games -- had totally forgotten about them until you mentioned them.

I own the wine, it's phenomenal. Just ordered a bunch this morning: purple (not lilac), brown, slate blue, and rust... just want to add black to finish it out.
                If you have a chance/don't mind, would you post pictures of those? I'm going to get a few more from Chipp and I'm curious how the slate blue looks in real life and if the rust and brown are too close in color to get both. The rust definitely leans more brown than orange in person.

Comment

Originally posted by burban View Post
                  If you have a chance/don't mind, would you post pictures of those? I'm going to get a few more from Chipp and I'm curious how the slate blue looks in real life and if the rust and brown are too close in color to get both. The rust definitely leans more brown than orange in person.
                  Will do, just shipped out today, so probably won't be until next week.

Comment

I don't have any TieBar, but Chipp grenadine is pretty great -- solid quality, doesn't feel like it'll fall apart easily, thicker build with a nice, slightly fatter knot than a lot of ties (even with smaller knots like a FIH). As I mentioned earlier, I find myself gravitating toward them more than my other ties with most looks (grenadine being a nice middle ground that works for casual looks as well as dressier looks).

EDIT: Just to add, Berg & Berg also has some nice ties for reasonable prices when on sale; a good place to find some nice patterns/stripes in a good size ~3in. I haven't tried their knit ties, so can't comment there.
                    Thanks. Good to know. I'll keep an eye out on their website. I'm in need of some new ties so Chipp might be the place to look next.

Hmm. Interesting. I can't say I've ever had any issues with getting my knot out of any of the ties I own. Maybe I'm just tying them a different way. I'll definitely have to give Chipp a try though. The quality on TTB ties just isn't there for me.

Comment

I get what [MENTION=12115]doomx[/MENTION] is saying with the grenadines. It definitely ties up much fatter than any other tie I own. Guessing it's because the tail is still pretty thick and substantial, unlike my regular silk ties, which leads to a beefier knot.
                      Last edited by devastitis; May 6, 2016, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                        I get what [MENTION=12115]doomx[/MENTION] is saying with the grenadines. It definitely ties up much fatter than any other tie I own. Guessing it's because the tail is still pretty thick and substantial, unlike my regular silk ties, which leads to a beefier knot.
                        This is essentially it. IMO, for easy robust dimple, a tie, among other things, should be quite wide at the dimple level in relation to the fabric thickness. If you have a tie that is very thick and not very wide (or has an aggressive width taper), you end up with something that resembles a cylinder and can be very difficult to get a nice dimple. All my TTB, form a dimple with zero effort, likely because the fabric is very thin and their taper is not aggressive. This is also true with most ties I have from Italian haberdasheries, but for other reasons: the fabric is buttery soft and the tie is quite wide on top. In contrast, most of my BB or J Press ties require some effort, even though the fabric on these is quite superior to TTB. The effort is still no more than a minute's deal. For my Chipp grenadine, I am never that satisfied with the dimple. I also have the same issue with a few LE wool ties, which is a combination of thick fabric and slim ties (3 inch wide).

Comment

This is essentially it. IMO, for easy robust dimple, a tie, among other things, should be quite wide at the dimple level in relation to the fabric thickness. If you have a tie that is very thick and not very wide (or has an aggressive width taper), you end up with something that resembles a cylinder and can be very difficult to get a nice dimple. All my TTB, form a dimple with zero effort, likely because the fabric is very thin and their taper is not aggressive. This is also true with most ties I have from Italian haberdasheries, but for other reasons: the fabric is buttery soft and the tie is quite wide on top. In contrast, most of my BB or J Press ties require some effort, even though the fabric on these is quite superior to TTB. The effort is still no more than a minute's deal. For my Chipp grenadine, I am never that satisfied with the dimple. I also have the same issue with a few LE wool ties, which is a combination of thick fabric and slim ties (3 inch wide).
                          You must really like your dimples and for them to be very precise. What sort of knot do you use?

I always have a dimple of some sort, but don't second guess it much if it's a bit to one side or the other; I even occasionally enjoy one where one side flips forward a little bit (probably not explaining that well). I also just used a simple FIH every day.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                            You must really like your dimples and for them to be very precise. What sort of knot do you use?

I always have a dimple of some sort, but don't second guess it much if it's a bit to one side or the other; I even occasionally enjoy one where one side flips forward a little bit (probably not explaining that well). I also just used a simple FIH every day.
                            Lol. I realise how American Psycho my last post would seem!! I use exclusively a FIH. I like a nice dimple but I don't necessarily require it to be smack in the middle. I know what you mean about the forward side fold and I avoid that. I am not that anal about it, but the chipp grenadine refuses to give a dimple. I get an indentation instead, aka the sides of the "dimple-wannabe" do not point towards me but point away from me. Arrghhhh.

Comment

I bought this shirt a couple years ago. It makes no sense. It's Hugo boss. It has a contrast collar, but not cuffs. Contrast collar buttons. Shirt does not have French cuffs. Just doesn't make any sense. I still kind of like it.
                              My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

[MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] You've always been a great dresser, but it seems like you've really nailed down the last little details and perfected your style. Your last few WIWT have just been flawless.

Weird shirt or not, I think you pull it off effortlessly. I dig it.

Comment

Working...
                                X