Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIWT

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    [MENTION=14616]CJMichaelRay[/MENTION]

    To be honest, part of the reason is that at my current stage of life, I don't have a dress code and I can experiment with different levels of formality without being too dressed down or inappropriately dressed up. In this particular case, though, it's because I had a 'mini-graduation' from the school district's vocational school, and I had a couple job applications to check up on.
    Duncan

    I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Terminado View Post
      To be honest, part of the reason is that at my current stage of life, I don't have a dress code and I can experiment with different levels of formality without being too dressed down or inappropriately dressed up. In this particular case, though, it's because I had a 'mini-graduation' from the school district's vocational school, and I had a couple job applications to check up on.
      Gotcha. The jeans are a little too dressed down for me if that's the case. If you're checking up on applications, you wanna tell your future employers that you can be dressed appropriately for the job, so some less-casual pants would have been a better selection.

      Comment


        [MENTION=14616]CJMichaelRay[/MENTION]

        That's totally a fair assessment. In this case, the employers are two outdoors retailers, a rock climbing gym, and a hipster coffee place, all of which have a 'jeans and t-shirt' dress code, so I was going for the 'one step above' rule of thumb, which seemed appropriate here. Beyond that, my father was the one that got me started on dressing well, but he only really wears sweaters, dress shirts without ties, and jeans to work, so anything beyond that I've only recently started to experiment with. I've heard pretty good things about the LE flannel trousers, which are currently on sale in my size, so I'm hoping to pick up a pair of those in the near future.

        Also, here's a gratuitous close-up on the CT shirt fabric for anyone interested:
        Duncan

        I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Terminado View Post
          Slightly more formal WIWT today. It's chilly today so I can get away with a sweater.




          Mock neck: American Eagle (thrifted and just a little bit too big)
          Shirt: CT slim fit Herringbone Fleck. I'm a little disappointed in their revamped slim, but I can't complain too much considering that I got it for $19 (off of $110. This fabric is crazy awesome).
          Tie: Stafford. I know paisley's not 'in', but I dig it. I have one in purple and grey as well.
          Pants: Levi's 513 in tumbled rigid.
          Shoes: The almighty Dr. Martens.

          Thoughts, as always, are appreciated.
          Big fan of paisley ties

          Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

          Comment


            Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
            Finally breaking out this navy glen plaid suit I got a little while back. Hard to capture in pictures but rather nice in real life. I realized I don't really have many ties that go with it really well, other than burgundy, particularly that are solids and don't mesh poorly with the pattern. May grab a chocolate brown or orange/rust color grenadine tie to change things up.




            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I'm wearing a navy suit (not glen plaid sadly) with white shirt and the rust grenadine from Chipp and dark brown AEs. That and my chocolate brown grenafaux from TTB are my favorite simple looks when I want to not be super formal, but still need to go to court. Hunter green, too, perhaps?

            Comment


              [MENTION=9190]Pepetito[/MENTION]

              Glad there's at least one other out there!
              [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION]

              It looks incredible in your pictures; if that's not doing it justice I can't imagine it irl. As for alternate ties, it might be a bit too monochrome for your taste, but I think it would look excellent with a grenadine like the one below and a standard light blue dress shirt.
              Duncan

              I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

              Comment


                [MENTION=9190]Pepetito[/MENTION]

                Glad there's at least one other out there!

                [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION]

                It looks incredible in your pictures; if that's not doing it justice I can't imagine it irl. As for alternate ties, it might be a bit too monochrome for your taste, but I think it would look excellent with a grenadine like the one below and a standard light blue dress shirt.
                Duncan

                I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by burban View Post
                  I'm wearing a navy suit (not glen plaid sadly) with white shirt and the rust grenadine from Chipp and dark brown AEs. That and my chocolate brown grenafaux from TTB are my favorite simple looks when I want to not be super formal, but still need to go to court. Hunter green, too, perhaps?
                  Good call on a true green, agree the grenadines being a great every day look, I've been wearing my wine color Chipp a ton with nearly every suit I have. Leaning toward less is more with the solid grenadine ties being a calling card for me at work.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Terminado View Post
                    [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION]

                    It looks incredible in your pictures; if that's not doing it justice I can't imagine it irl. As for alternate ties, it might be a bit too monochrome for your taste, but I think it would look excellent with a grenadine like the one below and a standard light blue dress shirt.
                    Thanks man. That does seem like a lot of blue to me, but I could see doing a white shirt and a lighter blue tie, whether a royal blue like you show or maybe a slate or powder blue even. Good ideas!

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                      Finally breaking out this navy glen plaid suit I got a little while back. Hard to capture in pictures but rather nice in real life. I realized I don't really have many ties that go with it really well, other than burgundy, particularly that are solids and don't mesh poorly with the pattern. May grab a chocolate brown or orange/rust color grenadine tie to change things up.




                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Man, great look on that suit. Is that the same NY tailor where you got the last one?

                      Just an fyi, Land's End has a chocolate grenadine on sale right now. Retails at $100, but with the sale price and 30% off I just picked it up for <$40. It says 3" but it's actually about a cm short or so, so a little on the narrow side. Still a great tie for the price though!
                      http://www.landsend.com/products/men...97?sku_0=::BRO

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post
                        Man, great look on that suit. Is that the same NY tailor where you got the last one?

                        Just an fyi, Land's End has a chocolate grenadine on sale right now. Retails at $100, but with the sale price and 30% off I just picked it up for <$40. It says 3" but it's actually about a cm short or so, so a little on the narrow side. Still a great tie for the price though!
                        http://www.landsend.com/products/men...97?sku_0=::BRO
                        Ouch..At that price, even on sale, I'd rather just go Chipp Neckwear. At <$40, it's a no brainer, but for some reason, $56 for a Lands End tie seems a bit pricey.

                        http://www.chippneckwear.com/chocolate-grenadine-tie/

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                          Ouch..At that price, even on sale, I'd rather just go Chipp Neckwear. At <$40, it's a no brainer, but for some reason, $56 for a Lands End tie seems a bit pricey.

                          http://www.chippneckwear.com/chocolate-grenadine-tie/
                          I totally agree. I was just implying with one of LE's 30-40% off on top. I paid $38.67 for it. I got a forest green repp for about $10 also to put me over the free shipping yhreshold. They aren't the greatest ties, but the grenadine is very nice for the price.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post
                            I totally agree. I was just implying with one of LE's 30-40% off on top. I paid $38.67 for it. I got a forest green repp for about $10 also to put me over the free shipping yhreshold. They aren't the greatest ties, but the grenadine is very nice for the price.
                            Ah, my bad. Didn't read it correctly. Thought you meant it was $56 after the 30%, not 30% off on top. Just checked their website again, and they have 40% off with email sign up. Might cop both brown and black if it works. Thanks for the heads up!

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post
                              Man, great look on that suit. Is that the same NY tailor where you got the last one?

                              Just an fyi, Land's End has a chocolate grenadine on sale right now. Retails at $100, but with the sale price and 30% off I just picked it up for <$40. It says 3" but it's actually about a cm short or so, so a little on the narrow side. Still a great tie for the price though!
                              http://www.landsend.com/products/men...97?sku_0=::BRO
                              Appreciate the heads up, but I prefer a little more width as I'm a bit wider of a frame, so Chipps work about perfect for me! I only wish they'd get a restock of their black grenadine at some point...

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Terminado View Post
                                Also, here's a gratuitous close-up on the CT shirt fabric for anyone interested:
                                Just for your own edification as you start to expand/experiment/improve your wardrobe, this type of fabric is called donegal (named after a particular type of tweed that comes from County Donegal, Ireland).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X