This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Token View Post
    I disagree with it looking "bad." If I saw someone wearing that exact outfit walking down the street I wouldn't think they looked bad at all. As long as the fit is good and the colors aren't completely clashing, it'll look good. Most of these details such as playing with textures help to elevate from looking good to looking great, just because you don't nail the details doesn't mean you look bad...
    "Bad" was probably the wrong word. I think I am mostly thrown off by the choice of the boots in that they don't really work with any suit then the tie is also a wintery color/texture to create this sandwich of seasons. The bold sentence below would really help a lot of posters but I am not sure the posters care about learning some basic rules first then adding their own style to it.

Originally posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
    "You gotta know the rules before you break the rules" and from the way that combination looks, it just doesn't look like you know the rules.

It seriously seems like you're trying to keep cool in the sun with the cotton suit, but your neck and feet are braving a winter chill. That's why it looks confused, because it's sending very mixed messages. There should be a purpose behind your rule breaking/bending rather than "I just felt like doing it."

If you wanted to play with texture, a better bet would have been a linen/cotton tie rather than a thick wool.

Comment

Those shoes are wonderful! If you'd clean up the hemline on the jeans, it'd be a great look. Maybe cuff them or have them hemmed?
      haha....i just threw something on to get a photo in decent light really quickly. they'll be worn with a proper hemline, no worries.

ETA: I have some great chambray pants (i think JCF?) in gray that look stone dead sexy with 'em....just a shame i can't wear that kinda stuff to work (the commander tends to frown upon civilian attire during the duty day....)
      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
        ETA: I have some great chambray pants (i think JCF?) in gray that look stone dead sexy with 'em....just a shame i can't wear that kinda stuff to work (the commander tends to frown upon civilian attire during the duty day....)
        You should just press a crease into them bad boys.

Comment

"Sandwich of seasons" "trying to keep cool with a cotton suit, but your neck and feet are braving a winter chill." These are over the top descriptions of what I wore and how I looked. I spent a total of 90 seconds outside that day, and the rest of the time in well air-conditioned and not very bright environments. If I were outside for an extended period of time, no, I wouldn't have worn those boots, and, no, I wouldn't have worn the tie as a result. But when 99% of my time is spent indoors, I will wear a suit and tie combo that fits my fancy that day, and a pair of shoes or boots that I feel like wearing with that combo. And again, granted the situation doesn't call for wearing a conservative get up. Let's just agree to disagree with this, because no one is going to be able to persuade the other.

Comment

I feel like I wear this a lot, but it's one of my favorite outfits. Finally got some decent pictures of it, though

Jacket: JCPenney Stafford
            Shirt: Charles Tyrwhitt
            Square: Tie Bar
            Tie: SuitSupply
            Pants: J. Crew
            Watch: Orient
            Shoes: Thrifted Shell
            Hey- Do you have a link to what jacket this is? or at least which one it is at JCP? Love the look of it, and I've been looking for a tan/brown blazer since I wear a lot of navy pants to work.

Comment

Originally posted by sbowie View Post
              Hey- Do you have a link to what jacket this is? or at least which one it is at JCP? Love the look of it, and I've been looking for a tan/brown blazer since I wear a lot of navy pants to work.
              This is one from two years ago and it looks like they don't have a wool/linen one this year. I searched sportcoats on their website and found a lot of beige linen-cotton ones.

Comment

This is one from two years ago and it looks like they don't have a wool/linen one this year. I searched sportcoats on their website and found a lot of beige linen-cotton ones.
                Thanks! I had a feeling it wasn't the usual cotton/linen ones that are up there right now. The search continues.

Comment

[MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] Are the 2 blue Blazers on the left from SuSu?
                  Last edited by DavideNYC; April 27, 2016, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Work event tonight so going conservative with the pairings, haven't used this Berg & Berg tie much since I bought it. Been enjoying my recrafted bourbon AE McAllisters quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by hornsup84; April 28, 2016, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                      Work event tonight so going conservative with the pairings, haven't used this Berg & Berg tie much since I bought it. Been enjoying my recrafted bourbon AE McAllisters quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Any before recraft pics? Because they look new.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                        Any before recraft pics? Because they look new.
                        Yeah, they came back great -- have a thread on it, the 'before' was pretty nasty: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...ter-in-bourbon

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                          Yeah, they came back great -- have a thread on it, the 'before' was pretty nasty: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...ter-in-bourbon
                          Dang..that is quite the recraft. Do you find the cost worth going the recraft route over spending a little more on a pair of seconds, or waiting for a steep discount on firsts (walnut McAllisters were $197 at Bloomingdales a few weeks back)? I understand with bourbon now as there's no real alternatives if you want to keep the bourbon color. This has definitely given me confidence in getting my bourbon pairs recrafted if I need to.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                            Dang..that is quite the recraft. Do you find the cost worth going the recraft route over spending a little more on a pair of seconds, or waiting for a steep discount on firsts (walnut McAllisters were $197 at Bloomingdales a few weeks back)? I understand with bourbon now as there's no real alternatives if you want to keep the bourbon color. This has definitely given me confidence in getting my bourbon pairs recrafted if I need to.
                            Especially on bourbon, I wouldn't do seconds from what I've seen. Medium brown is what I need in my collection and McAllisters fit my feet well, so it was worth taking a flyer.

Comment

Originally posted by DavideNYC View Post
                              [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] Are the 2 blue Blazers on the left from SuSu?
                              Yes. A Washington and a Washington half. The half is blazer, the full is a suit.
                              My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Not happy with today's experiment.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X