Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIWT

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Casual workwear-ish thing for a cold rainy Tuesday.



    GAP Factory jacket, BB shirt, JCF jeans, Chippewa boots, Hamilton watch
    Ben

    Comment


      Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
      I can't get behind this. I understand the intent but the suit fabric is too fine for the rough textured tie and suede buckle boots. It could work with a more textured suit fabric, a SC and trousers, or any sort of casual look but not that suit.
      I agree the boots are on the casual side, but the suit itself isn't that formal as well, as it's a basic chino suit that rumples easily and catches lint way too well for my liking. I understand the point about the tie, but that's being a little too rule-y for my tastes, and not fun at all.

      Comment




        Sweater: Woolovers
        Shirt: Kamakura
        Pants: Tailor Vintage
        Shoes: AE Cronmok

        Comment


          CJMichaelRay I like this look a lot. I especially like the coat. I think it is one I was debating getting myself. Is it a slim fit only, or did you get it tailored also?
          -e

          Comment


            Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            Casual workwear-ish thing for a cold rainy Tuesday.



            GAP Factory jacket, BB shirt, JCF jeans, Chippewa boots, Hamilton watch
            Looks great. I've ordered that blazer based on your recommendation as well as the non-factory Gap slub navy blazer (40% off right now) to compare.

            Comment


              Originally posted by el_ote View Post
              CJMichaelRay I like this look a lot. I especially like the coat. I think it is one I was debating getting myself. Is it a slim fit only, or did you get it tailored also?
              -e
              Nah, it's the classic fit, no tailoring. It's starting to fall apart, though so I'm looking to replace it. Possibly with that wool/linen herringbone from Spier & Mackay

              Comment


                Originally posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
                Nah, it's the classic fit, no tailoring. It's starting to fall apart, though so I'm looking to replace it. Possibly with that wool/linen herringbone from Spier & Mackay
                I just bought the tailored fit version a few weeks back for maybe 38 bucks total. Hard to pass that up. It's getting tailored right now (long sleeves). CJ, how long did it last you? Even with 20 bucks in alterations, I'm still in for under 60 bucks so if it makes it to next summer I'm happy.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                  I agree the boots are on the casual side, but the suit itself isn't that formal as well, as it's a basic chino suit that rumples easily and catches lint way too well for my liking. I understand the point about the tie, but that's being a little too rule-y for my tastes, and not fun at all.
                  It is not being rule-y or not fun, it just looks bad and I was mentioning it to help you. The tie is very F/W with a S/S suit. Mix in the boots and your whole fit just looks confused.

                  I am not saying I get everything right in all of my fits but people call me out on them and I learn. Use this as a learning experience.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Alpha King View Post
                    I just bought the tailored fit version a few weeks back for maybe 38 bucks total. Hard to pass that up. It's getting tailored right now (long sleeves). CJ, how long did it last you? Even with 20 bucks in alterations, I'm still in for under 60 bucks so if it makes it to next summer I'm happy.
                    I got it over a year and a half ago. Definitely a good deal for under $60 overall. It's the sleeves that are wearing out in the elbows, so I've gotta decide if I just want to get a tailor to sew on some elbow patches or upgrade to a higher-quality one. I'm thinking of just upgrading to get that butterfly bemberg lining that S&M uses. I'll probably do that since theirs has patch pockets and I like that more casual styling over the flap pockets on a summery jacket.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                      I was in my usual camo today, but then when I got home these bad boys showed up so...well I couldn't mope around in pajama pants *ALL* afternoon.


                      warwicks by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

                      Levi 514s, AE Warwicks in Walnut, and not pictured is a Gap short-sleeve linen shirt. Gorgeous day today.
                      Those shoes are wonderful! If you'd clean up the hemline on the jeans, it'd be a great look. Maybe cuff them or have them hemmed?

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                        It is not being rule-y or not fun, it just looks bad and I was mentioning it to help you. The tie is very F/W with a S/S suit. Mix in the boots and your whole fit just looks confused.

                        I am not saying I get everything right in all of my fits but people call me out on them and I learn. Use this as a learning experience.
                        But that's exactly it though. Tie is F/W, suit is S/S. You can't match f/w with s/s. You can't wear those boots with that suit. You can't wear textured ties with a non-textured suit. It looks bad. It looks confused.

                        These are all based off of commonly agreed upon style rules, and sure if I follow the style rules every time, it'll look clean and professional every time. I've learned a lot in this forum and other forums over the years, and learned what looks clean and professional. I have suits, fits, and looks that are my go tos if my goal is for clean and professional. So it's not a fight against learning that I counter what you say.

                        For me, I like to do what I feel like doing, "looks bad/confused" be damned. I got this tie in yesterday. I have suede boots that work with it. I have a suit that subtly matches the tie in color. I wasn't going to an interview, I wasn't going to a board meeting, and I wasn't going anywhere where anything but the classic look is frowned upon. I don't have any textured suits to wear this with. So I wore it with one of the suits that I have. And I received enough compliments to know that you don't have to follow the rules every time, as most people, including me, don't always analyze what people wear by going through a list of rules, but rather just from what they see. They looked at the tie, it's a nice looking tie. They looked at the suit, it's a nice looking suit. They looked at the shoes, it's a nice pair of shoes. I liked this look enough to wear it. They liked the look enough to compliment me on it. Isn't that all that really matters?

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
                          Those shoes are wonderful! If you'd clean up the hemline on the jeans, it'd be a great look. Maybe cuff them or have them hemmed?
                          I agree. Those are some good looking shoes, though I personally would probably never wear walnut monks with dark/indigo denim, or any denim, really. And it could be the camera angle, but I agree that the shoe profile could be improved a lot with a proper hem and and a slimmer leg opening/more tailored calf.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                            But that's exactly it though. Tie is F/W, suit is S/S. You can't match f/w with s/s. You can't wear those boots with that suit. You can't wear textured ties with a non-textured suit. It looks bad. It looks confused.

                            These are all based off of commonly agreed upon style rules, and sure if I follow the style rules every time, it'll look clean and professional every time. I've learned a lot in this forum and other forums over the years, and learned what looks clean and professional. I have suits, fits, and looks that are my go tos if my goal is for clean and professional. So it's not a fight against learning that I counter what you say.

                            For me, I like to do what I feel like doing, "looks bad/confused" be damned. I got this tie in yesterday. I have suede boots that work with it. I have a suit that subtly matches the tie in color. I wasn't going to an interview, I wasn't going to a board meeting, and I wasn't going anywhere where anything but the classic look is frowned upon. I don't have any textured suits to wear this with. So I wore it with one of the suits that I have. And I received enough compliments to know that you don't have to follow the rules every time, as most people, including me, don't always analyze what people wear by going through a list of rules, but rather just from what they see. They looked at the tie, it's a nice looking tie. They looked at the suit, it's a nice looking suit. They looked at the shoes, it's a nice pair of shoes. I liked this look enough to wear it. They liked the look enough to compliment me on it. Isn't that all that really matters?
                            "You gotta know the rules before you break the rules" and from the way that combination looks, it just doesn't look like you know the rules.

                            It seriously seems like you're trying to keep cool in the sun with the cotton suit, but your neck and feet are braving a winter chill. That's why it looks confused, because it's sending very mixed messages. There should be a purpose behind your rule breaking/bending rather than "I just felt like doing it."

                            If you wanted to play with texture, a better bet would have been a linen/cotton tie rather than a thick wool.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                              But that's exactly it though. Tie is F/W, suit is S/S. You can't match f/w with s/s. You can't wear those boots with that suit. You can't wear textured ties with a non-textured suit. It looks bad. It looks confused.

                              These are all based off of commonly agreed upon style rules, and sure if I follow the style rules every time, it'll look clean and professional every time. I've learned a lot in this forum and other forums over the years, and learned what looks clean and professional. I have suits, fits, and looks that are my go tos if my goal is for clean and professional. So it's not a fight against learning that I counter what you say.

                              For me, I like to do what I feel like doing, "looks bad/confused" be damned. I got this tie in yesterday. I have suede boots that work with it. I have a suit that subtly matches the tie in color. I wasn't going to an interview, I wasn't going to a board meeting, and I wasn't going anywhere where anything but the classic look is frowned upon. I don't have any textured suits to wear this with. So I wore it with one of the suits that I have. And I received enough compliments to know that you don't have to follow the rules every time, as most people, including me, don't always analyze what people wear by going through a list of rules, but rather just from what they see. They looked at the tie, it's a nice looking tie. They looked at the suit, it's a nice looking suit. They looked at the shoes, it's a nice pair of shoes. I liked this look enough to wear it. They liked the look enough to compliment me on it. Isn't that all that really matters?
                              I mix things up plenty, although don't really have much F/W only stuff (mostly 4-season and S/S), so maybe that's why I don't really care about the mixing as much. I do textured ties often with worsted wool and don't think it's inappropriate at all (much less inappropriate, I'd think, than wearing a linen or cotton suit in a formal business context). To me, your boots and tie appear less formal than the suit, but I also couldn't really tell it was a cotton suit until you told us. I have a hard time judging someone's look on things that I can't determine easily without seeing in person. To me, the tie does look very warm and is not my favorite color, but YM(obviously)V on that. It isn't textbook by any stretch, but I'm with you on doing it if you want to on a random Tuesday. As you said, I'd stick to the 'rules' more with more important days.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                                It is not being rule-y or not fun, it just looks bad and I was mentioning it to help you. The tie is very F/W with a S/S suit. Mix in the boots and your whole fit just looks confused.

                                I am not saying I get everything right in all of my fits but people call me out on them and I learn. Use this as a learning experience.
                                I disagree with it looking "bad." If I saw someone wearing that exact outfit walking down the street I wouldn't think they looked bad at all. As long as the fit is good and the colors aren't completely clashing, it'll look good. Most of these details such as playing with textures help to elevate from looking good to looking great, just because you don't nail the details doesn't mean you look bad...
                                Instagram: WoofOrWeft

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X