Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting question -- should all pictures be fully posed (thereby showing off the 'perfect' fit) or do what you can with what you have (thereby showing what clothes actually look like being used in RealLife(TM))? Lighting being an aside to that question, as obviously better lighting is... well, better.

Personally I take a few shots and try to fix any glaring oddities (e.g., odd angles, overly wrinkled pants or sleeves, putting pocket flaps uniform), but I'm not asking people to take my picture or setting up a photo shoot each day. I don't want (or feel the need) to put forth the time or effort to do much more, and think the outfits themselves get across well enough in what I put up.

Comment

And on cue, hastily done WIWT. Jeans day at work but mid 70s here in NYC. Beautiful day out. Jeans rolled for pic only.

Linen/Cotten JCF Sportcoat
      Ratio light blue dress shirt
      Bonobos jeans
      SuSu socks (outlet purchase)
      Clarks beeswax DBs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
        An interesting question -- should all pictures be fully posed (thereby showing off the 'perfect' fit) or do what you can with what you have (thereby showing what clothes actually look like being used in RealLife(TM))? Lighting being an aside to that question, as obviously better lighting is... well, better..
        Well, we are all here to impress Internet strangers, aren't we? ;-)

Comment

I can see the merits of both. If you really want to show off what you're wearing, how it fits, and how it looks on you in a normal situation, then it'll be best to have a set up like a tripod to show it. If you're just passing on through, and wanted to show the gist of what you're wearing that day, a quick shot is just fine. Like [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION], I can't really be bothered to do a set up, but following [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION]'s advice and with even the basic iPad set up, [MENTION=14616]CJMichaelRay[/MENTION]'s get up looks so much better.

Comment

I have debated setting up a tripod with my wife's rarely used camera but the transition from SD card to forum is more work than tapatalk. Plus my usual fit pic is when I am about to get in my car and leave for work so setting up a camera for a pic is a lot more work than I care to do.

Comment

I don't think a full on photo shoot is necessary. But a little effort can go a long way to make your pictures look better. If you want to do selfies, I think you should at least use a selfie stick. The crumpling at the shoulder of a camera in hand selfie doesn't look good.
              My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Originally posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
                Well, we are all here to impress Internet strangers, aren't we? ;-)
                It's the BEST!!! Reminded me of this gem (XKCD):

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                I can see the merits of both. If you really want to show off what you're wearing, how it fits, and how it looks on you in a normal situation, then it'll be best to have a set up like a tripod to show it. If you're just passing on through, and wanted to show the gist of what you're wearing that day, a quick shot is just fine. Like [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION], I can't really be bothered to do a set up, but following [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION]'s advice and with even the basic iPad set up, [MENTION=14616]CJMichaelRay[/MENTION]'s get up looks so much better.
                Yeah, not bashing on one or the other, just noting the difference. Obviously for the main site, other blogs, etc. I think it makes total sense to 'pose' it up more. I guess I consider this thread to be more the passing-by style posts. 'Does this fit' style posts I guess are somewhat in the middle, in that you need to pose enough to get good feedback, but you also don't want to fix anything to make the fit better than it is (otherwise then what's the point?)

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                  I have debated setting up a tripod with my wife's rarely used camera but the transition from SD card to forum is more work than tapatalk. Plus my usual fit pic is when I am about to get in my car and leave for work so setting up a camera for a pic is a lot more work than I care to do.
                  Yeah, mine is in the (shared) bathroom at work, so not really going to set anything up there.

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
                  I don't think a full on photo shoot is necessary. But a little effort can go a long way to make your pictures look better. If you want to do selfies, I think you should at least use a selfie stick. The crumpling at the shoulder of a camera in hand selfie doesn't look good.
                  I guess the last part is where we differ. Not sure I really care if the crumpling looks bad for a WIWT that I'm not using for any other purpose than to log what I wore / show others. This isn't a showcase blog post like AoS or something. I think the overall fit of [MENTION=14616]CJMichaelRay[/MENTION] or my posts come through well enough to show what we put together for an outfit. Given that we're all different shapes and sizes, I feel like it's more about color/fabric combos than the level of fit.

EDIT: To say, more power to you if you're into photography or want to set up the tripod, etc.--it definitely produces a better end product as shown by your ( [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] ) and others posts.

Comment

Haven't posted in a while. Friday afternoon meeting with clients.

Sport Coat: Suit Supply
                    OCBD: Uniqlo
                    Pants: Bonobos
                    Shoes: velasca
                    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                      And on cue, hastily done WIWT. Jeans day at work but mid 70s here in NYC. Beautiful day out. Jeans rolled for pic only.

Linen/Cotten JCF Sportcoat
                      Ratio light blue dress shirt
                      Bonobos jeans
                      SuSu socks (outlet purchase)
                      Clarks beeswax DBs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I really like that sports coat - been looking for a spring / summer jacket in almost exactly that colour. Is it from this year?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                        I have an adapter which holds most cell phones, that screws on to most standard tripods. Can find them on Amazon for almost nothing. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyCatTim View Post
                          I really like that sports coat - been looking for a spring / summer jacket in almost exactly that colour. Is it from this year?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                          Two years ago at this point, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by theskillets View Post
                            Haven't posted in a while. Friday afternoon meeting with clients.

Sport Coat: Suit Supply
                            OCBD: Uniqlo
                            Pants: Bonobos
                            Shoes: velasca
                            When is that Uniqlo ocbd from? That's quite the collar roll. Mine from last summer don't have nearly that kind of a roll, seems like the collar points on mine are a good deal shorter.

Comment

First post here. On mobile so apologies if my formatting is poop.

From earlier this week

http://imgur.com/bs9DXEv

- J.Crew Sportcoat
                              - Charles Tyrwhitt Shirt
                              - Land's End Herringbone Pants
                              - SuitSupply Double Monks
                              - Casio EF503D-1AV

Comment

Originally posted by The_Manscaper View Post
                                First post here. On mobile so apologies if my formatting is poop.

From earlier this week

http://imgur.com/bs9DXEv

- J.Crew Sportcoat
                                - Charles Tyrwhitt Shirt
                                - Land's End Herringbone Pants
                                - SuitSupply Double Monks
                                - Casio EF503D-1AV
                                great look and fit, that's actually my personal uniform/go to outfit. Are you wearing your watch upside down..?

Comment

Working...
                                X