This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jean-Baptiste Grenouille View Post
    Thoughts on this for friend's wedding tomorrow?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    If you like it, then go for it. Personal style is what it is.
    If there's anything I'd nitpick here -- 100% opinion -- it's the contrast between the tie and the jacket. It's hard to pull off lighter, summer-y ties with dark jackets. I'd either wear a darker tie or a lighter-colored jacket.

Comment

Lacoste polo -- very old hand-me-down and the most durable shirt I've ever come across.
      JC jacket
      Gant sunglasses ($25 from Gilt!)
      CK jeans
      AE Dalton -- I'd wear these every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Went tieless kept it simple.
        My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

A couple more from recent past

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post

Damn. I love this.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
              Damn. I love this.
              Thanks. It's such a simple look. I always see it from the Italian guys, but rarely go for it.

Comment

One last one, sorry to hijack the thread. This is what I'm wearing to dinner and a bar tonight. i would prefer to wear a suit, but will be with a large group that will be dressed informally. As they say, when in Rome.

Comment

[MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] - Great fits! That blue/yellow/white SuSu tie has been on my mind a while and recently purchased something similar from Conrad Wu.

Comment

Perfection my friend! Where is that purple knit tie from? I've been trying to get my hands on one, either solid or white dots.

Comment

Originally posted by Leanderthal View Post
                      Perfection my friend! Where is that purple knit tie from? I've been trying to get my hands on one, either solid or white dots.
                      Thanks. It's a violet grenadine from Berg and Berg.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG View Post
                        Here's where my lack of expertise will probably be exposed, but I'll give it a shot since the wedding is tomorrow:
                        I'm not sure what it is, but somehow the pieces together seem a little "off". It looks like each individual piece seems to fit well, although there's always room for nitpicking: the blazer could be longer, the shirt color seems too big, pants could maybe do with a little less break. But none of things are going to be fixed by tomorrow, even if you wanted to change them.

So three things I would suggest:

1. Go with a slightly more formal pant with a higher rise (so your belt buckle doesn't show when the jacket is buttoned) and a center crease. If you can, try to use a pant with less break; it kinda looks like you're trying to dress up beige jeans right now.

2. Just personal preference, but I would choose a solid shirt in white or light blue, or maybe a pale, tone-on-tone strip or check. Maybe it's the tie color in contrast; I just cannot pull off green in any shade. So a knit tie or even a rep tie would be my preference.

3. I'd try something more structured with the white pocket square. Whenever I see a white pocket square fluffed out like that, it makes me think someone didn't stuff a Kleenex in their pocket down far enough to hide it. If you have a colored or patterned square, by all means go for it!

Anyway, just my 2 cents and most of it is personal preference. Something like this is not far from what I think you're going for:

To me, that just looks more pulled together. Have fun at the wedding, hope there's an open bar!
                        Thanks for the detailed feedback. As you mentioned preference, I do like my jackets a bit shorter.

I agree about the pants. I usually struggle to get much of any break with these pants based on how they hug my quads, but I suppose wearing them to work earlier in the week must have loosened them up.

I threw the knot together on the tie too quickly to check the colors and it's smaller than the half-windsor I'll wear today. I think this made the collar look disproportionately large, though I can't argue it leans toward the larger side anyway.

Thanks again. Cheers!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post

Absolute heat. Perfect.

Comment

Date night in Gettysburg.

Shirt and pants JCF.
                            Tie Amazon (lol)
                            Vest was a gift, I believe J Ferrar. Nothing special.
                            AE Daltons in Bourbon
                            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

WIWT

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                              Date night in Gettysburg.

Shirt and pants JCF.
                              Tie Amazon (lol)
                              Vest was a gift, I believe J Ferrar. Nothing special.
                              AE Daltons in Bourbon
                              I love the Daltons in bourbon, they really do look best in that color. Just a tip or two, you should really leave the bottom button on the vest unbuttoned and I'm not really such a fan of that tie but to each his own [emoji41] the outfit looks great though!

Comment

No worries. Purple's her favorite color, so purple paisley it was for the night.
                                https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Working...
                                X