This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by corbel View Post
    Looks like something I would wear. Link to the blazer?
    Which post are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by elpenguinoloco View Post
      First post (I think? Images didn't work first time around):

http://imgur.com/WvtVGBL
      http://imgur.com/gZqcXSA
      http://imgur.com/RJfW5K6

Blazer: Gap
      Shirt: JCF
      Pants: Merona (Target)
      Shoes: Cole Haan
      this blazer
      College aged guy interested in college aged guy stuff.

Comment

this blazer
        I got it a few years back, and it looks like they don't have the exact one anymore, but this looks close: http://http://www.gap.com/browse/pro...&pid=178130012

That one has patch pockets, whereas mine doesn't. That might be a welcome change though, in that it makes it even more casual. I've been trying to wear it more often and despite how casual it is I still got the standard "WOAHHH fancy" response all day. The linked one is also S/M/L while the one I have came in chest sizes--I think I have a 40R.

Even if the Gap one is not to your liking, I would think there are plenty of options for unlined, cotton, summer weight navy blazers. They seem to be somewhat of a staple around here, and I'm sure some of the more in-the-know folks could give you a bunch of recommendations off the top of their heads.

Comment

Beautiful Saturday spring weather and Housewarming tonight

Uniqlo jeans
          Cremeiux belt
          AE Banchory shoes
          Happy socks

JC shirting fabric blazer
          Declan pocket square
          Gant sunglasses
          BR t-shirt

Comment

I can't get on board with the blazer + t-shirt combo. A casual button-down or even a polo would look nicer IMO. I like the rest tho.
            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
              I can't get on board with the blazer + t-shirt combo. A casual button-down or even a polo would look nicer IMO. I like the rest tho.
              I agree. People have substituted a sport coat for a light jacket which seems like it should work but I can't get behind it. I also don't know how to wear a cotton/summery sport coat so that may add to the confusion.

Comment

Crappy end of the night pic with wrinkled linen jacket. It was 90* when cocktail hour started before this black tie dinner out in the palm desert, so I took some liberties with the dress code.

Tux Lapeled vest and trousers are Black Lapel MTM.
                The Tie Bar bow tie. Nieman Marcus pique shirt. Thrifted suspenders. Jos A Banks cufflinks and shirt studs.
                Great great grandpa's pocket watch.
                Cheapo Calvin Klein cap toe shoes.
                JC penny's unlined linen peaked lapel jacket.

Basically, it's my $300 black tie outfit that I swap out the jacket depending on the weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Dun View Post

Crappy end of the night pic with wrinkled linen jacket. It was 90* when cocktail hour started before this black tie dinner out in the palm desert, so I took some liberties with the dress code.
                  Interesting -- did anyone else take liberties with the black tie dress code?

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                    I like it on other people, but it's not a look that I'm ever going to try. I think that the whole "high/low" outfit combination can be tricky.

Comment

this blazer
                      Mine is a few years old. This looks like the closest they have right now: /http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=178130012

That one has patch pockets and comes only in S/M/L, whereas mine has traditional pockets and chest sizes (I have a 40R I think). The patch pockets make it even more casual, which is nice. Even though it's pretty low-key as far as blazers go, I still got "WOAHHH FANCY" comments all day. If you want something closer to what I have, I'm sure there are plenty of other options. The unlined, cotton, summer weight blazer seems to be somewhat of a staple, and I bet some of the more in-the-know folks around here would have good recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by elpenguinoloco View Post
                        Mine is a few years old. This looks like the closest they have right now: /http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=178130012

That one has patch pockets and comes only in S/M/L, whereas mine has traditional pockets and chest sizes (I have a 40R I think). The patch pockets make it even more casual, which is nice. Even though it's pretty low-key as far as blazers go, I still got "WOAHHH FANCY" comments all day. If you want something closer to what I have, I'm sure there are plenty of other options. The unlined, cotton, summer weight blazer seems to be somewhat of a staple, and I bet some of the more in-the-know folks around here would have good recommendations.
                        Fair enough. I definitely like the idea of wearing a blazer more often, but I never have an opportunity to and I'm not sure how much I would actually wear it! Thanks though man!
                        College aged guy interested in college aged guy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                          Yeah, I can't get on board with that. The jacket looks way too casual to be meshed with the rest of the outfit. A linen dinner jacket would've been better suited, like this one.

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
                            I like it on other people, but it's not a look that I'm ever going to try. I think that the whole "high/low" outfit combination can be tricky.
                            As much as I just don't care for how it looks, I also know what the collars of my shirts look like after wearing them. Wouldn't want to subject a blazer to that.
                            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post

Oh yeah. I'm going to try and make some rough estimates here.

There were probably 800 people there last night.
                              Maybe 100 men and women in "black tie"
                              And 100 is being generous by including notch lapels and shiny prom vests/ties.

There was at least 1 hawaiian shirt.

Yeah my jacket was more casual with less structure and bare buttons, but honestly if you meet all the rest of black tie it's easy to look over 1 wrong detail. That's how wing collar shirts and white pique vests became okay moving from white tie to black tie without looking like a waiter. Admittedly I went the other way, more casual than more formal, but like I said before- the hotter it gets the more casual I'm okay leaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Dun View Post
                                Oh yeah. I'm going to try and make some rough estimates here.

There were probably 800 people there last night.
                                Maybe 100 men and women in "black tie"
                                And 100 is being generous by including notch lapels and shiny prom vests/ties.

There was at least 1 hawaiian shirt.

Yeah my jacket was more casual with less structure and bare buttons, but honestly if you meet all the rest of black tie it's easy to look over 1 wrong detail. That's how wing collar shirts and white pique vests became okay moving from white tie to black tie without looking like a waiter. Admittedly I went the other way, more casual than more formal, but like I said before- the hotter it gets the more casual I'm okay leaning.
                                I'm not sure I'd call an unstructured linen tan jacket a "detail" in terms of keeping with black tie, or that you can really compare wearing it to the historical differences between white and black tie mixing over time, but it sounds like you were fine relative to the rest of those in attendance. I'm assuming it was black tie optional (I hope), which gives you more leeway anyway. I'm not a huge fan of mixing aka high/low, just not my style, so I'd have done full black tie or not at all (likely not at all if it involved outdoors and 90 degrees). I've done black tie in Georgia with no AC in the church--not a fun experience until the reception when I had enough bourbon to forget the temps

Comment

Working...
                                X