This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
    Overall, I think it's a good look. But it makes you look like your 5'7".
    Hey! Those of us who ARE 5'7" aren't sure what to make of that last remark...

Comment

Originally posted by JDI View Post
      Office day, errands......

Jacket - H&M
      Sweatshirt - Gap
      Shirt - Volcom
      Pants - Gap Carpenter Slim
      Belt - Dockers
      Boots - Stafford
      Time-X
      Nice color combination. I'm one of the folks who DON'T wear a suit/blazer to work, so it's nice seeing interesting casual combos on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
        I feel like the jacket is a bit too long. The bottom of the jacket reaches past your thumb, which seems like a bit much. When I look at the whole picture, the jacket also takes as much vertical space as the pants, which makes it look like you're short and wearing a normal-length jacket. The button stance would look lower if the jacket were shorter, too.
        I see what you are saying. I have struggled with jacket length somewhat. I think my arms are a bit shorter than what you would expect for my torso. The jacket is actually just covering my behind, so I don't have a lot of room to make it shorter. If I use the "hand" rule to get a jacket, I often end up with my behind exposed.

Comment

Originally posted by doomx View Post
          I see what you are saying. I have struggled with jacket length somewhat. I think my arms are a bit shorter than what you would expect for my torso. The jacket is actually just covering my behind, so I don't have a lot of room to make it shorter. If I use the "hand" rule to get a jacket, I often end up with my behind exposed.
          Yeah I have stubby little t-rex arms so the hand-cupping method of determining jacket length doesn't work for me either. My body is like a 36R but my arms are like a 36S. I judge jacket length more by butt coverage.
          Ben

Comment

I'd consider trying a shorter jacket with slightly higher-rise pants in that case. Might not work, or it might balance out the look better.

Comment

I'd consider trying a shorter jacket with slightly higher-rise pants in that case. Might not work, or it might balance out the look better.
              These pants are at the naval so I can't do higher. However I think the pants are overall hurting the look.

Comment

Length of jacket looks perfect to me
                My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

WIWT

Errands in the cold, getting warmer though

JC overcoat and corduroy pants
                  Uniqlo sweater
                  Lacoste polo
                  Joe Abboud belt
                  Happy socks
                  Barneys NY monkstraps
                  Last edited by DuFrank; February 18, 2016, 03:18 PM.

Comment

The jacket length looks spot on (I really like the jacket itself, too). It's probably just the cuffed pants that are skewing appearance of your proportions and height. Dangerous territory for shorter guys.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerpenguin View Post
                      The jacket length looks spot on (I really like the jacket itself, too). It's probably just the cuffed pants that are skewing appearance of your proportions and height. Dangerous territory for shorter guys.
                      This. I'm 5'7 - kinda short so I will never do cuffs and I tend to stick to very slight break (it varies depending on how tapered to pants are.) having a full break, especially with cuffs can definitely make you look shorter. I really like that jacket though (3/2 rolls are awesome!) and the texture/pattern mix you have going on [MENTION=12115]doomx[/MENTION] though I still don't understand why people tuck their pocket flaps in. I think it looks much better with them out but that's just MHO. I know this was just discussed a couple days ago in this same thread.

Comment

Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
                        This. I'm 5'7 - kinda short so I will never do cuffs and I tend to stick to very slight break (it varies depending on how tapered to pants are.) having a full break, especially with cuffs can definitely make you look shorter. I really like that jacket though (3/2 rolls are awesome!) and the texture/pattern mix you have going on [MENTION=12115]doomx[/MENTION] though I still don't understand why people tuck their pocket flaps in. I think it looks much better with them out but that's just MHO. I know this was just discussed a couple days ago in this same thread.
                        Thank you all for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerpenguin View Post
                          5'10" isn't short, though. That's pretty much average male height in the US.

Comment

These pants are at the naval so I can't do higher. However I think the pants are overall hurting the look.
                            Yeah, probably don't want to go higher than your navel. Definitely try the jacket with a different set of pants and see what people think.

Comment

5'10" isn't short, though. That's pretty much average male height in the US.
                              Was looking in the wrong place and misread as 5'7". Still, generally speaking, cuffs work better for the taller crowd and are more challenging for those who fall into the average-short range. Maybe a smaller cuff size would work better.

Comment

Just bought this suit and picked it up from the store for alterations, so I've been wearing it around all day.

Suit: SuitSupply Washington
                                Shirt: Short sleeved button-down I found at Khol's
                                Watch: Orient
                                Shoes: GH Bass

Comment

Working...
                                X