This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fantasma View Post

Valentine's Dinner with the girlfriend. Hard to see in the photo but that's a blue (not navy) waistcoat with charcoal slacks and black loafers. Kind of mixing up shades but I thought it worked.

Jacket - Gap
    Shirt - Uniqlo
    Vest - Bar III
    Pants - Alfani (part of an old suit)
    Shoes - Cole Haan
    Watch - Timex
    Pocket Square - The Tie Bar
    Two things I would have changed. A pocket square that went better with the outfit, probably plain white. And I would have done brown shoes, I just think it would have gone better. Other than that, pretty nice. Hope you enjoyed your date!

Comment

Originally posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
      You really shouldn't tuck the flaps. It messes with the suit's silhouette. Also, what are you putting in those pockets that can't be put in the inside pockets?
      I'm not sure what gave you that idea, but it is incorrect. Pocket flaps on well made suits are sewn specifically so they can be tucked in. Jetted pockets give a sleeker silhouette and used to be a sign of a more formal jacket (ie a tuxedo jacket used to always have jetted pockets).

The only thing to be cautious of is putting things in the pockets that are too heavy. That can cause the pockets to gape open and ruin the silhouette. Then you would have to keep the pocket flaps out to hide that gap or possibly sew them shut.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantasma View Post

Valentine's Dinner with the girlfriend. Hard to see in the photo but that's a blue (not navy) waistcoat with charcoal slacks and black loafers. Kind of mixing up shades but I thought it worked.

Jacket - Gap
        Shirt - Uniqlo
        Vest - Bar III
        Pants - Alfani (part of an old suit)
        Shoes - Cole Haan
        Watch - Timex
        Pocket Square - The Tie Bar
        I have liked your two fits so far. While not everyone likes black shoes, they work in both of these cases.

Comment

Originally posted by connersw View Post
          I'm not sure what gave you that idea, but it is incorrect. Pocket flaps on well made suits are sewn specifically so they can be tucked in. Jetted pockets give a sleeker silhouette and used to be a sign of a more formal jacket (ie a tuxedo jacket used to always have jetted pockets).

The only thing to be cautious of is putting things in the pockets that are too heavy. That can cause the pockets to gape open and ruin the silhouette. Then you would have to keep the pocket flaps out to hide that gap or possibly sew them shut.
          I don't disagree necessarily with either CJMichael Ray or connersw--I've read sources that say pocket flaps look more formal and that jetted pockets make a jacket look more formal. That said, connersw is correct--better made suits allow you to switch between untucked and tucked pockets. I've worn cheap and more expensive suits and can attest that the pockets fit in without resistance in a well-made suit, but that's not the case with a cheap suit. For me, it comes down to a matter of preference. I'm a young guy in his mid-twenties, and I just think jetted pockets look more modern and fit my style more. If I had a choice, I'd have patch pockets on all of my suit side pockets and an ordinary breast pocket.

When it comes to putting things in my pockets, I try not to put heavy things in the outer pockets, but might stick my phone and keys in each pocket when I'm walking somewhere. I sit at a desk most days so it's rare that I have things in my pockets for even an hour. Also, I'm not a huge fan on inner chest pockets because I don't like the feeling of a phone or wallet pressed up against my chest. But again, that's just preference. My philosophy on wearing suits mostly comes from the man himself, Sid Mashburn: http://www.bearingsguide.com/2010/06...video-feature/

Comment

Thanks JBarwick!

Comment

I don't wear suits every day
              Shirt: Charles Tyrwhitt
              Pants: Uniqlo
              Shoes: Donald Pliner (eBay)
              My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post

Wow, first time I've seen you dress so casually. Looking mighty fine though!

Comment

[MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] - What pants are those from Uniqlo? Like the casual fit.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                    [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] - What pants are those from Uniqlo? Like the casual fit.
                    They are slim fit. I have really skinny legs for my size, so I'm not a good person to go off of.

EDIT: They are cords, too. You really can't tell from pic.
                    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

EDIT: They are cords, too. You really can't tell from pic.
                      That must be a really thin wale. I want those.

Comment

Really cool cord pants, well it is encouraging me to work out and get fit to wear these.
                        Eat what is good for your health but
                        Wear what is good for your and others eyes

Comment

New SuSu jacket so decided to post. The Burberry's tie is done for and I would have liked a white shirt but was told to wear a blue shirt today.

Time to look for a replacement tie!

Comment

Jacket: J Crew Factory
                            Tie: SuitSupply
                            Watch: Orient
                            Pants: Banana Republic
                            Shoes: JC Penney

Comment

Grey, like today....

Sport Coat - BR
                              Shirt - Uniqlo
                              Sweater - J Crew
                              Belt - Dockers
                              Jeans - BR Slim
                              Boots - Bass Chelsea
                              Time-X
                              Last edited by JDI; February 16, 2016, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                                New SuSu jacket so decided to post. The Burberry's tie is done for and I would have liked a white shirt but was told to wear a blue shirt today.

Time to look for a replacement tie!

I really like the color combination with the tie and jacket. You can't take that tie to the cleaners and have it pressed?

Good, casual look. I think I own that same shirt from CT. Doesn't get worn too much because I feel like the blue is too bold for me.

Originally posted by JDI View Post
                                Grey, like today....

Sport Coat - BR
                                Shirt - Uniqlo
                                Sweater - J Crew
                                Belt - Dockers
                                Jeans - BR Slim
                                Boots - Bass Chelsea
                                Welcome back! Was wondering where you were with your on-point, daily looks, [MENTION=13537]JDI[/MENTION].

Comment

Working...
                                X