Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=2492]LosRockets[/MENTION] I think the colors look good, and I don't even mind the material of the pants. I'm just not a fan of the cut-- a bit too baggy in the thigh and the cuff is way too big & clunky. Especially contrasted with the slim fit of the sweater through the chest and the profile of the shoe. Linen blend pants would be perfect; just not too much lighter. But I would go more slim, rather than less slim. Heavy taper with no break and no cuff. Or go the completely opposite direction and go wide cut with a slim cuff, and again no break. I couldn't find an image of exactly what I had in mind with just a quick search (probably not using the write key words), but something like this for a man:

Agree on a braided belt, or at least a slimmer belt with less of a buckle. If going less monchrome, I think a light blue or light grey chambray pant would look great.

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
      Suitsupply Madison sport coat
      Suitsupply tie
      Gagliardi square
      Spier and Mackay shirt
      I really like how the blue shirt draws out the blue in the sportcoat. I think I'd love the look potentially with a different tie (although I'm not sure what -- you're a level or three above me in pattern mixing).

As a sidenote, I finally received a couple Gagliardi pocket squares I ordered a couple weeks ago -- love at first sight! Appreciate the heads up on the brand.

Comment

Sweater: O(G) Penguin
        Shirt: J.Crew (This is pretty OG too--green label with red crewman. Had it since college so the cut is very big, but I love the blue on blue plaid so I keep it for under sweaters)
        Jeans: Uniqlo
        Shoes: Frye Walter

Comment

Suitsupply tie
          Gagliardi square
          Spier and Mackay shirt
          Fantastic outfit! I'm not much of a fan of the way you folded your pocket square, but I dig the color and pattern matching. Did you get the jacket & tie from the Outlet sale?
          Last edited by CJMichaelRay; February 1, 2016, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Suitsupply tie
            Gagliardi square
            Spier and Mackay shirt
            Bah! That's so much darker than it looked on the website. Now I do wish I had bought it.

EDIT: Unless that's not the suit I noticed during the outlet sale.

Comment

Originally posted by phatte View Post
              Bah! That's so much darker than it looked on the website. Now I do wish I had bought it.

EDIT: Unless that's not the suit I noticed during the outlet sale.
              It's a sport coat from this past summer. Was not available during outlet.
              My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                Asking for some feedback here. Trying out a monochrome thing and generally thinking dusty color palettes but I think it would look better if I swapped the natural belt for a braided brown belt. The question I really have is about the trousers/shoes. Shoes are Alden snuff, chinos are S&M. Should I be going even lighter on the trouser color instead? (like a pair of 'natural' colored jeans)? Also the material... the material on these chinos just doesn't work here IMO. I'm thinking either the aforementioned denim, or an uncuffed and less slim, ?slubby? linen blend... what are my other options? Any easy fitting wool or cotton trouser with a slight taper to a flat hem? If I go off-monochrome, maybe a light gray/slate blue pants, again, less slim? Those BR chelseas would probably look good here if I use a slimmer pant silhouette. If you've ever seen some of Regis' posts on SF or browsed through some Italian S/S lookbooks, that's what I'm trying to evoke here on a budget.
                [IMG]https://dl.dropbox.com/s/6bka275wagq0qwe/20160130_151713.jpg?dl=/IMG]
                [url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/0udri232flgkke1/20160130_151734.jpg?dl=0[/url
                It's hard to tell the color on the sweater but as far as the color/material for the pants and shoes . . . I think it looks fine.

Originally posted by connersw View Post
                [MENTION=2492]LosRockets[/MENTION] I think the colors look good, and I don't even mind the material of the pants. I'm just not a fan of the cut-- a bit too baggy in the thigh and the cuff is way too big & clunky. Especially contrasted with the slim fit of the sweater through the chest and the profile of the shoe. Linen blend pants would be perfect; just not too much lighter. But I would go more slim, rather than less slim. Heavy taper with no break and no cuff. Or go the completely opposite direction and go wide cut with a slim cuff, and again no break. I couldn't find an image of exactly what I had in mind with just a quick search (probably not using the write key words), but something like this for a man:

[IMG]http://pixel.brit.co/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/4-High.jp/IMG]
                I think the pants are fine except for the cuffs. The cuffs are bit too big and chunky for my liking. As far as the pants being 'too baggy' in the thighs . . . I'm starting to lean back that way again myself. I'm over the whole Bonobos and Dockers alphas with the snugger and more fitted thighs. Looser is more comfortable. As I progress through my style over time here I've come to realize this whole 'fitted' and 'trim' thing is more fashion and less style. I think clothes should be comfortable but not sloppy.

The other thing I've incorporated is buy a few nice items rather than multiple ones just because they were 'on sale' or a good deal. I'd rather spend $100 on a BB OCBD than have 3 from Everlane/BR/JCF/etc because they were a good deal. Quality products do feel nicer and last longer.

Agree on a braided belt, or at least a slimmer belt with less of a buckle. If going less monchrome, I think a light blue or light grey chambray pant would look great.

Originally posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
                Fantastic outfit! I'm not much of a fan of the way you folded your pocket square, but I dig the color and pattern matching. Did you get the jacket & tie from the Outlet sale?
                The matching and colors are great but the size of those lapels . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                  The matching and colors are great but the size of those lapels . . .
                  I think oversized lapels work on a double breasted jacket.

Comment

Feeling professorial today.

JCF cord jacket and jeans, Target Merona sweater, LE shirt, PRL boots, Omega watch.
                    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                      As a sidenote, I finally received a couple Gagliardi pocket squares I ordered a couple weeks ago -- love at first sight! Appreciate the heads up on the brand.
                      Where did you order them from?

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                        Where did you order them from?
                        Direct from http://www.gagliardi.eu/

Free shipping, it just took 2-2.5 weeks or so. I paid via PayPal and I don't believe had any issues with forex fees, etc. Each PS was EUR14, total of EUR42 for 3 which I got charged a little under $47.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                          Direct from http://www.gagliardi.eu/

Free shipping, it just took 2-2.5 weeks or so. I paid via PayPal and I don't believe had any issues with forex fees, etc. Each PS was EUR14, total of EUR42 for 3 which I got charged a little under $47.
                          They're remarkable for the price, right?
                          My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

They're remarkable for the price, right?
                            Seriously, I've seen PS for more than double the price (often triple or more) that aren't as nice. Glad I never spent the cash on those (before this, rarely opt for anything but a white linen PS).

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                              Feeling professorial today.

JCF cord jacket and jeans, Target Merona sweater, LE shirt, PRL boots, Omega watch.
                              Diggin all the colors and layers. I've been looking for a cord jacket like that for a while. Very nice
                              We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by APinNC View Post
                                Diggin all the colors and layers. I've been looking for a cord jacket like that for a while. Very nice
                                I picked a similar one up from lands end a while back. It was a bit more rust color than his. You might want to see if they still carry it.

Comment

Working...
                                X