Sport Coat: SuitSupply
    OCBD: Kamakura
    Flannel Trousers: Gap
    Boots: SuitSupply
    Watch: Vintage Rolex
    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

Originally posted by CJMichaelRay View Post
      Some great textures and pattern matching! Not a fan of the tie knot, though. Such a casual outfit would be best suited with a Four in Hand (or SuitSupply's signature Double Four in Hand)
      Good call, I need to expand my tie knot knowledge. Right now I basically do a full-Windsor for interviews, or whatever it is in this photo for everything else haha. Since I'm experimenting with wearing ties more often (casually, i.e. wool blend or knit ties), it'd be good to know what's out there.
      There seem to be so many knot variations nowadays. Do you think a four-in-hand or double f-i-hand should cover all the bases? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DuFrank View Post
        Good call, I need to expand my tie knot knowledge. Right now I basically do a full-Windsor for interviews, or whatever it is in this photo for everything else haha. Since I'm experimenting with wearing ties more often (casually, i.e. wool blend or knit ties), it'd be good to know what's out there.
        There seem to be so many knot variations nowadays. Do you think a four-in-hand or double f-i-hand should cover all the bases? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!
        Yes. It is a good knot for all collars and all outfit combinations.
        My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Wore my Suitsupply Napoli, which doesn't get much wear. I'll note that I sized down, which is why it is so slim. I imagine most can't do this as the matching trousers would be too small.

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post

Wore my Suitsupply Napoli, which doesn't get much wear. I'll note that I sized down, which is why it is so slim. I imagine most can't do this as the matching trousers would be too small.
            Nice suit. Do you always wear your pants that short (not touching the shoes at all)?

Comment

Napoli is the only SuitSupply fit that works for me, but the matching pants are too small in the seat. Waiting for them to come out with more separates, preferably in solid navy/charcoal/light grey, but the pinstripes on yours look very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by theskillets View Post
                Sport Coat: SuitSupply
                OCBD: Kamakura
                Flannel Trousers: Gap
                Boots: SuitSupply
                Watch: Vintage Rolex
                I assume the picture is dark but are the trousers charcoal and the jacket navy? Someone point this out on one of my fits and if they are similar in color it almost looks like either 1. you didn't realize the mismatch when putting the clothes on or 2. it is orphaned suit separates paired together. For these two reasons, I have since stayed away from charcoal pants and a navy jackets.

Great fit and tie dimple. I find on my better ties are easier to dimple while the inferior ties are hard to dimple or it does not hold throughout the course of the day. Surprisingly my one Drake's tie is hard to dimple but the fabric and construction make me want more.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                  Napoli is the only SuitSupply fit that works for me, but the matching pants are too small in the seat. Waiting for them to come out with more separates, preferably in solid navy/charcoal/light grey, but the pinstripes on yours look very nice.
                  Word.

Comment

[MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] the pants are charcoal flannel and the sport coat is navy blue. The lighting in the photo isn't great but I agree that they are too close in color. I was a little worried this morning that they might be. Thanks for the feedback!
                    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

Originally posted by DuFrank View Post
                      Thanks! The sweater is looser-fitting than what I prefer; was a final sale gamble from the RL website a couple years ago. I still dig it because it's so thick and warm, and I really dig shawl collars and heavy texture haha.

The Beckett Simonon's I bought for a very good price when they were transitioning suppliers a year or two ago, so I can't complain. I'd say they're better than a typical glued-sole, bonded leather shoe from a department store in the same $80-$120 price range (e.g. Alfani, Stacy Adams, etc.). Even though I got these at much less than $100, I'd buy again at around $115 or less because I think the leather will age well enough for me to want to resole these over the years. I've read about some issues others have had, but my experience was just fine -- no issues.

Even though they're good-year welted, I'd put them quality-wise just under Cole Haan's basic line of shoes. But these are one of their original releases and supposedly they're higher quality now since they're found new suppliers/manufacturers. Idk as I don't have a newer-release pair.

The leather is cowhide, not calfskin like most dress shoes, so noticeably thicker and hardier/ more durable than calfskin. Makes for good beater shoes and works with the more casual longwing style of shoe I ordered. I wouldn't recommend it for something dressier like a captoe balmoral.
                      I've had two different pairs of Beckett Simonon's, and I'd say the odds on them lasting are 50/50. They're also entirely dependent on how you wear them. The first pair I purchased was when they first came out. I got them on a grand opening sale stacked with a first time buyer code they were running at the time (If I remember correctly they came to about $85 USD, but were retailing for $125). I had been looking for a solidly built, black, dress shoe that was nice enough to wear in an office environment but easy enough to replace.

They lasted about a year before I wore a hole in the sole (they were rotated with another pair of shoes, but saw heavy wear), which I had replaced at a cobbler. After that, they lasted about another year before the leather uppers developed cracks and holes.

Even though I knew better, I still opted to get a similar pair of brown longwings when my brown shoes died (they maybe the same ones, but I'm not sure about timing, suppliers, etc. that you'd mentioned) and I needed something for occasional office and slightly nice weekend wear. Again, those soles lasted me about a year -- maybe a little longer since I wasn't wearing them more than a day or two a week -- and, again, I had those soles replaced.

The leather uppers on the longwings, however, have held up now going on almost 2.5 years (knock on wood). I've tossed the back pair. I tried to donate the leather to my cobbler thinking maybe he could use it for something but he didn't want them since he said he'd have more work to salvage the leather uppers than it was worth. The brown ones are holding steady, though.

You're spot on about quality rankings, in my opinion. I have two pair of nicer dress shoes that get worn for special occasions and meetings, and I try to take care of my shoes well. The BS's have a hard time taking polish/wax and they developed some spots around the toe due to an unfortunate stumble through a puddle (I can't shine seem to shine them out), but unless you're looking for them you can't see them. They do the trick.

If you can pick them up under $100, they're worth a run. I also tried John Doe shoes, and they seem to be a slight step up but still worked with my budget (I work in a higher ed environment where it was jacket and tie required, but at any point in the day you could be trudging blocks through a city-centered campus).

Comment

First time wearing this "ash navy" blazer- I think it reads more grey than blue, so not sure how I feel about how I layered today...

Blazer: CombatGent
                        Sweater: BR
                        Shirt: JCF
                        Jeans: Bonobos
                        Shoes: Cole Haan

Comment

[MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] who makes the tie?

Comment

[MENTION=14375]dangerpenguin[/MENTION]

Looks good. I actually really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post
                              [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] who makes the tie?
                              Berg and Berg. Just bought it during the sale.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerpenguin View Post
                                First time wearing this "ash navy" blazer- I think it reads more grey than blue, so not sure how I feel about how I layered today...

Blazer: CombatGent
                                Sweater: BR
                                Shirt: JCF
                                Jeans: Bonobos
                                Shoes: Cole Haan
                                How does the CG blazer fit? I've read mixed reviews. Comfortable?

Comment

Working...
                                X