Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone looks great today! Would post but I've been in gym shorts, a uniqlo dry fit v, and a long sleeve new balance zip neck all day. Beautiful weather in Houston, we don't get enough days like this.

Comment

Not a great picture but here is today's outfit.

BB flannel shirt, LE sweatshirt, JCF cords, Converse JP sneakers.
      Ben

Comment

Shoes: JCPenny http://jcpenney.com/stafford-logan-m...d=pp5003861327

Pants: L.L. Bean

Socks: Grocery Outlet

Also not a great picture
        Last edited by ianr; January 16, 2016, 03:25 AM. Reason: Taking out prescription bottle barcode

Comment

Coat: brown Havana (recent purchase from Suitsupply Outlet)
          Shirt: CT
          Belt: AE oxblood
          Jeans: Uniqlo selvedge
          Socks: Uniqlo
          Shoes: brown suede derby (recent purchase from Suitsupply Outlet)

Comment

[MENTION=14858]DMB[/MENTION] I like the bracelet. Is that the one from JCF? https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-cloth...6571/06571.jsp

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
              Coat: brown Havana (recent purchase from Suitsupply Outlet)
              Shirt: CT
              Belt: AE oxblood
              Jeans: Uniqlo selvedge
              Socks: Uniqlo
              Shoes: brown suede derby (recent purchase from Suitsupply Outlet)
              Not feeling this one... the tailored jacket and spread-collar dress shirt are a formality mismatch with the light-wash jeans and suede bucks. (Nothing personal, I received a similar criticism a few WIWTs back.)

Depending on the texture of the jacket (hard to tell from the photo), you could maybe improve the coherence of the outfit by switching the white dress shirt out for something more casual like an OCBD or something with a pattern.
              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by stungray View Post
                [MENTION=14858]DMB[/MENTION] I like the bracelet. Is that the one from JCF? https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-cloth...6571/06571.jsp
                Yep. Do yourself a favor if you get this bracelet. Pull the leather end out of the metal hook part, put a shot of Gorilla glue or something similar in there, and shove it back in. The ends aren't really secured in there, and the first time you barely snag it on something it's gonna pull out.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                  You might call this "mountain town business casual." I know already this will not be to everyone's taste.

Arc'Teryx fleece jacket, BB shirt, Robert Talbott knit wool tie, LE cargo pants (true color is dark olive green), Kiel James Patrick belt, PRL boots, Hamilton watch on leather NATO.
                  If you had described this look to me without the benefit of pictures, I would have said "cmon dude, don't do that, you know better." Seeing the pictures, though I congratulate you on that most difficult of sartorial accomplishment: making something that shouldn't "work" on paper look great.

I have but one gripe, and it's not on you, necessarily, just with cargo pants in general. Those cargo pockets would appear mighty useful, but I never see anyone actually use them, in turn causing me to wonder "well then what's the point?" It's sort of the very opposite problem women have with their clothes-- fake, nonfunctional pockets. I think maybe we men should donate our functional, unused pockets.

Oh also, "mountain town business casual" should absolutely become a thing.
                  --

I'm here mostly to keep my mouth shut and learn a thing or two.

Comment

Sunday morning church, and cherishing the cold weather. Getting all the use that I can out of my cold weather stuff.

Jacket: Bonobos Nottingham Tweed
                    Sweater: J Crew
                    Shirt: Nordstrom Rack house brand
                    Belt: RL
                    Cords: Jcrew
                    Boots: Clarks

I'm looking into getting some AE shoes to take over the job from these Clarks when it comes to outfits like this (smart casual?) and from my current pair of Aldo's when it comes to formal outfits. I've been eyeing the McGregor wingtips in dark brown. I need something that will go well with my Navy Fairfax Bonobos suit and outfits like this (can be dressed up and dressed down). Whatever I get will be my go-to pair of dress shoes so I'm looking for advice if anyone has some to give.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelennor View Post

Sunday morning church, and cherishing the cold weather. Getting all the use that I can out of my cold weather stuff.

Jacket: Bonobos Nottingham Tweed
                      Sweater: J Crew
                      Shirt: Nordstrom Rack house brand
                      Belt: RL
                      Cords: Jcrew
                      Boots: Clarks

I'm looking into getting some AE shoes to take over the job from these Clarks when it comes to outfits like this (smart casual?) and from my current pair of Aldo's when it comes to formal outfits. I've been eyeing the McGregor wingtips in dark brown. I need something that will go well with my Navy Fairfax Bonobos suit and outfits like this (can be dressed up and dressed down). Whatever I get will be my go-to pair of dress shoes so I'm looking for advice if anyone has some to give.
                      Really nice look!

Comment

Here's my look for today.

Scarf and chinos- BR
                        Duffle coat- Menhil
                        Shirt- JCF
                        Boots- Joseph Abboud

Comment

[MENTION=14958]Pelennor[/MENTION] - An all around dress shoe that pulls both suit and casual fits can be tough. While a cap toe balmoral (AE Park Ave and 5th Ave) is a solid suit choice, it can look out of place for casual fits. The next step is to add some broguing and possibly a wing tip so AE Strand or Mcallister. I think the McGregor would look better than the Macneil but it looks like they have a new style called the Leiden which would be worth checking out.

Texas could be a mixed bag in what people wear with suits and I only have Austin and Dallas as references. Some would say stay with a cap toe balmoral for suits but I like to have a little flare and wear a shoe similar to the Strand with a suit though I have some rarely used Park Aves.

Also if you nail down your sizing in a variety of lasts from AE that would help a bunch when experimenting with other brands like a Meermin, Jack Erwin, or whatever other shoe you would look at. I would try the AE 65, 511, and new 1943 for references.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                            [MENTION=14958]Pelennor[/MENTION] - An all around dress shoe that pulls both suit and casual fits can be tough. While a cap toe balmoral (AE Park Ave and 5th Ave) is a solid suit choice, it can look out of place for casual fits. The next step is to add some broguing and possibly a wing tip so AE Strand or Mcallister. I think the McGregor would look better than the Macneil but it looks like they have a new style called the Leiden which would be worth checking out.

Texas could be a mixed bag in what people wear with suits and I only have Austin and Dallas as references. Some would say stay with a cap toe balmoral for suits but I like to have a little flare and wear a shoe similar to the Strand with a suit though I have some rarely used Park Aves.

Also if you nail down your sizing in a variety of lasts from AE that would help a bunch when experimenting with other brands like a Meermin, Jack Erwin, or whatever other shoe you would look at. I would try the AE 65, 511, and new 1943 for references.
                            Thanks for the advice [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION]. I'm in Houston and as far as I can tell anything that your average joe would consider a "dress shoe" is fair game when it comes to socially acceptable formal wear. That said my options should be pretty open when considering what style to get. :roll eyes:

Do the different lasts really have that big of an effect on fit or is it more just appearance?

[MENTION=14949]mmgfarb[/MENTION] thanks man, I'm really digging that duffle coat. I've been wanting to get one but the weather in Texas is just too warm to justify it. :/
                            Last edited by Pelennor; January 17, 2016, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post

I agree that the McGregor in dark brown can be worn essentially with anything (in the US). They may not be perfect for a suit, but they are certainly passable, and in fact Ian made the grain McNeils work great in a suit http://fromsqualortoballer.com/november-in-paris/

Comment

Originally posted by Pelennor View Post
                                Thanks for the advice [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION]. I'm in Houston and as far as I can tell anything that your average joe would consider a "dress shoe" is fair game when it comes to socially acceptable formal wear. That said my options should be pretty open when considering what style to get. :roll eyes:

Do the different lasts really have that big of an effect on fit or is it more just appearance?
                                Lasts are the shape of the shoe and have an effect on both fit and appearance. The AE 65 last is almost the general de facto comparison last when trying new shoes not available near you. For instance, if a shoe says it is narrower and I cannot try it on in person, I will skip that shoe and all shoes on that last until I can do a risk free in person whether travel to a store or free shipping and returns.

You will find shoes that fit looser/tighter in the heel, toe box, vamp and also fit different depending on your instep. Sometimes you may need to size up .5 or possibly add width but just know when doing that it is a gamble and may not work long term for your foot.

Also note the comfort level of my shoes depends on if I run before work thus making my foot swell. It could mean a slightly tighter fitting shoe is probably not a good option that day and will opt for something else.

These are all things to think about when you start with the gateway drug that are AEs. Start slow and work up. Your Clark's are very workable shoes and if you are casual most of the time you may not need some AE Park Aves for every time you suit up, something in a lower cost category may be the better choice. Ask us a lot of questions, then purchase.

Comment

Working...
                                X