X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIWT

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
    I would give you the keys to the citadel based on those boots alone.

What is the question in your last sentence?
    Haha thank you sir. Not really a question, I'm just unsure about wearing a navy patterned tie with a navy suit as it might be too monotonous; but that's just what Dappered has done to me haha. I don't think anyone really notices/cares on that level, especially since most people wear jeans day-to-day in my* office

Comment

Originally posted by DuFrank View Post
      Haha thank you sir. Not really a question, I'm just unsure about wearing a navy patterned tie with a navy suit as it might be too monotonous; but that's just what Dappered has done to me haha. I don't think anyone really notices/cares on that level, especially since most people wear jeans day-to-day in the office
      I wouldn't do it, tbh. Navy on navy on navy is just as bad as any blah-blah-blah, blah-the-same-color outfit. A little funeral for style. Of course, I would have saved those boots for the real interview.

In all seriousness, navy is (allegedly) a loyalty color. It's sort of why "navy" is associated with navy. Doubling down on that is sending the message of being Johnny on the spot. If that's you, more power to you.
      Last edited by ianr; January 12, 2016, 10:06 PM.

Comment

I'd probably go non-navy for the tie with a fully navy suit -- I'm usually not a huge monochrome fan. Maybe a burgundy grenadine or light pattern potentially--not power tie red, but still a strong color with confidence. And the captoes are solid for the 'real' interview -- the boots could be odd to some people and personally I'd take a brown captoe over the black brogued boot in terms of formality (despite the colors being opposite, all other things the same).

Also, good luck on the interview!

Comment

Styleforum seems decidedly split on navy suit/navy tie. Some say it's a fantastically CBD look (be sure to wear a white shirt), others say, as above, it's a bit boring and recommend forest green, rust, or burgundy. Personally I think it can look great; here's a phenomenal example of a navy satin tie being worn with a navy suit: http://www.styleforum.net/t/155298/s...e#post_4859189

Comment

Originally posted by stungray View Post
            Those pants do not compliment your body type. They are too loose through the hip, and then too tight through the thighs causing pocket flair and the lines from your internal pockets to show. I realize everyone wants to wear slim fit these days, but your body type is better suited for a straight fit. I'd be more concerned about getting the fit right up top (showing your pocket lines like that is a cardinal sin akin to pantie lines for women), then worrying about whether or not your pants are tapered enough at the ankle.

I'm also not a fan of a crew neck underneath a v-neck. If you're swole enough (Regis on SF is; you are not), you can get away with just the v-neck, otherwise you need a collar to keep your neck from looking long and awkward. Either a shirt underneath or a jacket over top.

Comment

Originally posted by connersw View Post
              Those pants do not compliment your body type. They are too loose through the hip, and then too tight through the thighs causing pocket flair and the lines from your internal pockets to show. I realize everyone wants to wear slim fit these days, but your body type is better suited for a straight fit. I'd be more concerned about getting the fit right up top (showing your pocket lines like that is a cardinal sin akin to pantie lines for women), then worrying about whether or not your pants are tapered enough at the ankle.

I'm also not a fan of a crew neck underneath a v-neck. If you're swole enough (Regis on SF is; you are not), you can get away with just the v-neck, otherwise you need a collar to keep your neck from looking long and awkward. Either a shirt underneath or a jacket over top.
              I agree with the pants comments made and am indifferent on the sweater comment. Slim does not equal better fitting and if the thighs are that tight while standing, I would assume sitting is tough.

Note we are here to help people understand dressing better so use these comments as helpful advice. Also this is a place to try new things and I will admit some of my fits don't work well together but it was worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                Styleforum seems decidedly split on navy suit/navy tie. Some say it's a fantastically CBD look (be sure to wear a white shirt), others say, as above, it's a bit boring and recommend forest green, rust, or burgundy. Personally I think it can look great; here's a phenomenal example of a navy satin tie being worn with a navy suit: http://www.styleforum.net/t/155298/s...e#post_4859189
                I think you _can_ do it, but I think it's harder to do than a more traditional pairing (like the green/rust/burgundy options you list). For a job interview, I personally think one should trend toward the easier/classics unless it's a creative or other non-trad setting.

For what it's worth, I don't think the SF navy on navy looks that good -- maybe if the glen plaid of the suit was more pronounced, so that it was more of a difference from the tie. I'm also just generally not a fan of solid ties that don't have much of a texture, so that isn't helping IMO.

Comment

Those pants do not compliment your body type. They are too loose through the hip, and then too tight through the thighs causing pocket flair and the lines from your internal pockets to show. I realize everyone wants to wear slim fit these days, but your body type is better suited for a straight fit.
                  I agree with you on the pants as they are now, but since this is only the third wear I'm not ready to bin them just yet. I've owned too many pairs that look good as soon as you buy them, but end up a baggy mess after a few months. This time I'm thinking long-term Also, how are you determining that they are loose in the hips?

I'd be more concerned about getting the fit right up top (showing your pocket lines like that is a cardinal sin akin to pantie lines for women), then worrying about whether or not your pants are tapered enough at the ankle.
                  Again, I agree that the pocket lines showing is bad, but that should disappear on its own over time whereas leg holes can only be altered through tailoring which would cost about 2x what these pants are worth.

I think that's good advice for a more formal look, but it works well for a dressed down casual option that shows you've put in at least a hint of effort into looking nice. I think these are good examples
                  - http://i.imgur.com/bjsonCs.jpg
                  - https://cdnd.lystit.com/photos/3848-...arge_flex.jpeg

On the topic of leg holes and fits in general, I'm in my early 20s, so I like the younger slimmer fits. This (http://i.imgur.com/hCn7w1p.jpg) is not my style. Of course there are some core principles that apply to all styles, but 90% of it is going to be pure opinion. What I feel comfortable wearing is not what someone else would feel comfortable wearing and that's the key. If my style does not match your style we can agree to disagree. Very few things said on here will be inherently right or wrong.

Comment

I think that's good advice for a more formal look, but it works well for a dressed down casual option that shows you've put in at least a hint of effort into looking nice. I think these are good examples
                    - http://i.imgur.com/bjsonCs.jpg
                    - [url]https://cdnd.lystit.com/photos/3848-2014/01/29/jcrew-brown-cotton-v-neck-sweater-product-1-17104681-0-372613632-normal_large_flex.jpeg[/url
                    I think you'll find that a lot of people on here would say that the above are a bad look, regardless of them being seen often at places like JCrew and BR. Personally I'm with that crew, but that's more personal preference. To me, it seems a bit at odds with a skinny leg look, as I see the tshirt/sweater combo as being inherently very casual/relaxed (with the skinny leg pant being not-so-relaxed).

On the topic of leg holes and fits in general, I'm in my early 20s, so I like the younger slimmer fits. This (http://i.imgur.com/hCn7w1p.jpg) is not my style. Of course there are some core principles that apply to all styles, but 90% of it is going to be pure opinion. What I feel comfortable wearing is not what someone else would feel comfortable wearing and that's the key. If my style does not match your style we can agree to disagree. Very few things said on here will be inherently right or wrong.
                    Likening a straight leg fit to that picture is like the others saying that your pants are like the following:

... except we actually see your pocket lines, so Conan's look is probably closer to yours than your example is to modern straight leg pants. While there are obvious differences in folks style, hyperbole doesn't really seem to be helping anyone. Opinions are like assholes, and I think we can all have them without shitting on one another, but if you post opinions as statements, then you should also in turn not get upset if folks respond in kind.

I also think some things are a bit more generally agreed upon than others. For example, length of pant leg / cuffing and pant leg width--both within reason, of course--are things that people can have personal preferences on, but certain decisions for each will look better than others when put together (e.g., generally no break will look better with skinnier cut slacks and wider cut slacks look better with some break). On the other hand, I think it's fair to say that we can all agree that your pocket or undergarment lines shouldn't be showing through your clothes.

Comment

I'll add that I think it's very hard to get an idea of how leg opening/break works with an outfit without a full body photo. We've all seen JBarwick's WIWT posts in the past where someone else was taking the pictures, and the leg opening looks great. It's like trying to judge how a watch looks on the wrist from a picture taken 12 inches away.

Comment

Here is an example of pants with different leg hole sizes. Straight fit isn't the JNCO pants of old. If I wanted to taper I could but I still rock Levis 501s instead of the trimmer fits.

Pants with a 9" hole:

Pants with 8.5" hole:

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                          if you post opinions as statements, then you should also in turn not get upset if folks respond in kind.
                          Text-based communication is not the best at conveying emotion, but I hope that I can still post a dissenting opinion without the implication that I am upset.

Likewise, I hope I don't have to preclude everything I say with "In my opinion". Simply the fact that I am the one saying it makes it my opinion.

To me, it seems a bit at odds with a skinny leg look, as I see the tshirt/sweater combo as being inherently very casual/relaxed (with the skinny leg pant being not-so-relaxed).
                          You're right. Penny loafers and chinos are a bit more formal, so having an exposed t-shirt does make the casual/formal aspects clash. Perhaps it'd look better with dark wash jeans?

I think it's fair to say that we can all agree that your pocket or undergarment lines shouldn't be showing through your clothes.
                          I agree. Maybe it wasn't the best idea to post an outfit involving that particular pair of pants, but I was told that I should open my fit to the criticism of others before doing so myself.

Comment

The 9" pants look a little loose through the entire leg. I like the fit of the 8.5", but the break is hard to tell. The length is good on the left leg but drapes a tad on the right.

Comment

The 9" ones fall so cleanly, I love it. That is how I get my tailor to taper all my dress trousers, so they are usually between 8.5 and 9, frequently closer to 8.75 at the leg opening. With the jacket he is wearing in the first picture, the 9" opening balances perfectly, if the jackets in the two pictures were swapped, neither pic would look as good. I do what [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] does and wear my 8-8.5" leg opening pants with just a dress shirt or a dress shirt and a much leaner fitting jacket like his SS in that second pic. To be totally honest stungray the old Apparel Arts pic you posted looks better than the two pics you showed before it

Comment

In my opinion:

The exposed, white crew neck under the v neck anything is not good.

Regardless of pockets showing, if pants look like one is bending over when they are standing up straight, the pants don't fit. One could cut the pockets out if that were the only issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X