This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
    Not feeling it. I think the levels of formality are mismatched on this outfit. Wrinkled chinos and suede moc-toe boots kind of work with a tweed jacket, I'll give you that. Not sold on the cotton/leather belt which reads as summery to me. But really it's the shirt and tie, which are very formal and better suited for well, a suit, and that tie especially is shiny and a pindot, which makes it excellent for eveningwear or a conservative outfit, which this is not. Would have gone with an OCBD sans tie if your workplace allowed it, or again an OCBD with a wool striped tie or a knit tie if a tie was necessary.
    I agree, there is a mismatch in formality of the individual pieces. I threw this outfit together last-minute for an emergency hearing and was basically just grabbing for things from my closet (my original outfit was the same belt/pants/shoes plus a black polo shirt and grey sweater). Tried to make it a little more court-worthy by going for the dress shirt and silk tie rather than OCBD. Not my best outfit by any stretch but I did like the effect of all the blues together (including the blazer, which is a navy/charcoal herringbone).
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      I agree, there is a mismatch in formality of the individual pieces. I threw this outfit together last-minute for an emergency hearing and was basically just grabbing for things from my closet (my original outfit was the same belt/pants/shoes plus a black polo shirt and grey sweater). Tried to make it a little more court-worthy by going for the dress shirt and silk tie rather than OCBD. Not my best outfit by any stretch but I did like the effect of all the blues together (including the blazer, which is a navy/charcoal herringbone).
      The outfit lacks coherence. I think had you simply used another tie, preferably wool, it would have made a huge difference. I also don't care for the tie bar with this outfit. I really don't care for tie bars at all. But for those that like them, I feel they work best with suits.
      My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

WIWT

Sorry for the impromptu bathroom pic.

Tweed blazer with working cuffs and leather detailing from Sierra Trading Post for $60 a few years ago. Unbranded
        Cable knit Royal blue sweater from Uniqlo (best quality for $20-30 by far)
        Polo from Ralph Lauren Polo
        Chocolate corduroy pants from JC
        Black contrast-sole wingtip boots from Grenson
        Black leather belt from Original Penguin
        Explorer II watch
        Tiger Eye bracelet, no brand
        Last edited by DuFrank; December 17, 2015, 08:28 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=13309]DuFrank[/MENTION] I like everything about it
          My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Really digging the blazer @DuFrank

Comment

Something different. I'm playing in the pit orchestra for a Christmas musical that's playing in town. This is my take on the required all-black attire.

Uniqlo polo, Target Merona sweater/jacket (grabbed this because it is so cold in the theater), Levi's jeans, JCP boots
              Ben

Comment

I think I have that same Tiger Eye bracelet, except mine has a Buddha head.m Good look, man.

Originally posted by DuFrank View Post

Sorry for the impromptu bathroom pic.

Tweed blazer with working cuffs and leather detailing from Sierra Trading Post for $60 a few years ago. Unbranded
                Cable knit Royal blue sweater from Uniqlo (best quality for $20-30 by far)
                Polo from Ralph Lauren Polo
                Chocolate corduroy pants from JC
                Black contrast-sole wingtip boots from Grenson
                Black leather belt from Original Penguin
                Explorer II watch
                Tiger Eye bracelet, no brand

Comment

Tweed blazer with working cuffs and leather detailing from Sierra Trading Post for $60 a few years ago.
                  Do you wear this as a blazer all day or just as as a throw on jacket?

I've been thinking about picking up a similar vintage-style hunting jacket as a light coat, but was concerned it might look too boxy. Yours looks great though--I think you've convinced me to give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by connersw View Post
                    Do you wear this as a blazer all day or just as as a throw on jacket?

I've been thinking about picking up a similar vintage-style hunting jacket as a light coat, but was concerned it might look too boxy. Yours looks great though--I think you've convinced me to give it a shot.
                    Either -- depending on the setting and weather. I've no problem wearing it as a jacket all day, but it's been pretty warm for December this year. I'm a big fan of hunting jackets. Can be layered over almost anything, even a t-shirt, and still look appropriate.

Thanks so much for the compliments, all!

Comment

[MENTION=13309]DuFrank[/MENTION] I do not like tweed (I'm in the minority here), but I think I will give it a try one day with a jacket just like that. Great look.

Comment

TGIF - Lunch and HH.

Jacket - Uniqlo
                        Polo - St Johns Bay - JCP
                        Belt - Maker
                        Jeans - Rock and Republic
                        Chelsea Suede - ASOS
                        Time-X

Comment

Really like that jacket/sweater combo. Great look.

Comment

http://i.imgur.com/xM4V2IH.jpg?2
                            http://i.imgur.com/SE3T1qx.jpg?1
                            http://i.imgur.com/dHShqaR.jpg?1

Rockin the Alden Suede Boots for the first time. I love them.

Shirt: Iron Heart
                            Denim: Indigogene
                            Boots: Alden

Comment

Originally posted by theskillets View Post
                              Blizzard in Denver today

Coat: Uniqlo
                              Scarf: H&M
                              Shirt: Nordstroms
                              Sweatshirt: H&M
                              Jeans: Uniqlo
                              Boots: Woolrich
                              What boots are those? I'm looking for something just like that.

Comment

[MENTION=11233]facelessghost[/MENTION] They are the Woolrich Niner Besalt Boot. Got them on sale on Amazon last year.
                                Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

Working...
                                X