Monday, Monday....

Coat - BR
    Sweater - BR
    Shirt - Lands End Canvas
    Belt - BR
    Jeans - J Crew
    Loafers - Cole Haan
    Time-X - new favorite...
    I can't keep this to myself. With all due respect those jeans should not be on a site dedicated to men's fashion/style. They are the epitome of dad jeans.
    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Still cold and snowy in Denver!

Jacket: Bonobos
      Shirt: Uniqlo
      Sweater: Uniqlo
      Pants: Bonobos
      Scarf: The Knottery
      Boots: Velasca
      Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
        I really like the collar of the shirt. I have one barba shirt I bought from shop the finest on Amazon with a gift card. If I get Amazon gift cards for Christmas I'll probably buy another.
        The collar sits up a lot higher than my sport coats in the back which bothers me a little but I did not try it with every sport coat. I was able to snag this shirt in the tough to find 40 or 15.75" for $28 shipped from Canada. I may even keep an eye out for shirts with a 16" collar and have it tailored a bit if I can snag a good deal!

Any other shirt brands you look out for? Borrelli, Finamore, SuitSupply

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
          The collar sits up a lot higher than my sport coats in the back which bothers me a little but I did not try it with every sport coat. I was able to snag this shirt in the tough to find 40 or 15.75" for $28 shipped from Canada. I may even keep an eye out for shirts with a 16" collar and have it tailored a bit if I can snag a good deal!

Any other shirt brands you look out for? Borrelli, Finamore, SuitSupply
          I've got a couple suitsupply from eBay. One was a purple line with a pleated shoulder and thomas mason cloth. They are nice, but the resale on their stuff is even high. Now that I know about Spier and Mackay I'm probably going to stick with them. Can't beat those prices. I was getting my shirts from Kamakura before I found out about S & M, and I thought they were a steal. S & M quality is very close to Kamakura.

If I get some Amazon gift cards I would probably use them to splurge on Barba again. I also wear a size 40 when I can find it, which is not often in America.

I've never owned any of the other Neapolitan shirts. I did go into the shop the finest warehouse in west la and look at them, though. They are all quite nice.

EDIT: In my opinion quality and fabrics go in order: S&M, SuSu, Kamakura. Mind you that all three are very close. Barba is definitely nicer than all three. I'd love to get one of their shirts for that price.

Comment

I can't keep this to myself. With all due respect those jeans should not be on a site dedicated to men's fashion/style. They are the epitome of dad jeans.
            Everyone have it? Chaz says no "dad jeans"....although these are not....

With all due respect, add this to your style file...File it under "Not even close to Dad jeans"

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...p?section=slim

Comment

Originally posted by JDI View Post
              Everyone have it? Chaz says no "dad jeans"....although these are not....

With all due respect, add this to your style file...File it under "Not even close to Dad jeans"

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...p?section=slim
              I'll side with you on this one. Light jeans will be back soon, if they're not already. It's the circle of life or something.

That said, I've never felt comfortable with black leather and jeans, let alone light jeans. But it looks like you wear the combo well.

Comment

I disagree; the fit is too good.

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
                  I'll side with you on this one. Light jeans will be back soon, if they're not already. It's the circle of life or something.

That said, I've never felt comfortable with black leather and jeans, let alone light jeans. But it looks like you wear the combo well.
                  If there was ever a time to be blunt, that time is now. Those jeans are hilariously bad. I'm just saying what most are thinking. There are people who come on here looking for advice for how to dress better. They need to know that these jeans are awful.

Comment

Originally posted by AngusM View Post
                    I disagree; the fit is too good.
                    I'm referring to the light wash of the jeans. You don't have to agree with me. I can't force you to be right.

Comment

Re: the jeans, the fit may be modern but the lightness and uniformity of the wash definitely reads very dad jean to me. The fact that a product is sold by a clothing manufacturer that is generally well-regarded by the style-conscious community doesn't automatically render that product stylish. It's hard to pull off a light wash jean and look stylish and contemporary, and IMO these ones don't quite hit the mark. Obviously that's a matter of taste and therefore both subjective, and subject to evolving trends and norms.

That's not a knock against JDI. Everyone is entitled to wear whatever the hell they want if they like it, regardless of whether it is unanimously approved by this particular online community. Sometimes I wear short shorts or a gaudy pinkie ring or a bolo tie or an oversized Western belt buckle, and I certainly don't want or require anyone's approval or permission to do so.

But I would also regard with some skepticism any statement by someone who claims to speak for an objective, silent majority.
                      Last edited by LesserBlackDog; November 30, 2015, 01:12 PM.
                      Ben

Comment

Shots Fired!

I agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          Re: the jeans, the fit may be modern but the lightness and uniformity of the wash definitely reads very dad jean to me. The fact that a product is sold by a clothing manufacturer that is generally well-regarded by the style-conscious community doesn't automatically render that product stylish. It's hard to pull off a light wash jean and look stylish and contemporary, and IMO these ones don't quite hit the mark. Obviously that's a matter of taste and therefore both subjective, and subject to evolving trends and norms.

That's not a knock against JDI. Everyone is entitled to wear whatever the hell they want if they like it, regardless of whether it is unanimously approved by this particular online community. Sometimes I wear short shorts or a gaudy pinkie ring or a bolo tie or an oversized Western belt buckle, and I certainly don't want or require anyone's approval or permission to do so.

But I would also regard with some skepticism any statement by someone who claims to speak for an objective, silent majority.
                          As far as being skeptical for me speaking for a silent majority, you did agree with me. Do you really think it's possible that the majority would not see these jeans as awful?

I do agree everyone is entitled to wear what they like, but the purpose of this forum is for discussion. We should be hear to teach, learn, dress better, and help others dress better, right? If that is the case, in an instance like this, I think it is best to be blunt and just state that these are not jeans that you should wear, if you are looking to up your style game. If you want to wear what you want to wear with disregard to what looks good, go for it. But then why are you posting in a WIWT thread?

I bite my tongue a lot, when I see things that don't look good. I feel like a lot of that goes on here. Are we here to cosign everything everyone wears with statements like, "that looks good buddy"? Or are we here to help each other improve? It seems to me we are just here to cosign everyone else's style choices. I'm done doing that, in cases where there is total disregard for style, such as this one.

Comment

As far as being skeptical for me speaking for a silent majority, you did agree with me. Do you really think it's possible that the majority would not see these jeans as awful?

I do agree everyone is entitled to wear what they like, but the purpose of this forum is for discussion. We should be hear to teach, learn, dress better, and help others dress better, right? If that is the case, in an instance like this, I think it is best to be blunt and just state that these are not jeans that you should wear, if you are looking to up your style game. If you want to wear what you want to wear with disregard to what looks good, go for it. But then why are you posting in a WIWT thread?

I bite my tongue a lot, when I see things that don't look good. I feel like a lot of that goes on here. Are we here to cosign everything everyone wears with statements like, "that looks good buddy"? Or are we here to help each other improve? It seems to me we are just here to cosign everyone else's style choices. I'm done doing that, in cases where there is total disregard for style, such as this one.
                            Now I'm really curious about what "everyone" thinks.

[MENTION=13537]JDI[/MENTION], would you object if someone (who may or may not be me) were to start an independent thread with a poll. For science .

Comment

Now I'm really curious about what "everyone" thinks.

[MENTION=13537]JDI[/MENTION], would you object if someone (who may or may not be me) were to start an independent thread with a poll. For science .
                              I would be interested to know as well. I think asking if they are dad jeans is probably too subjective. Too me sad jeans refer to the wash. I guess to some they refer to fit.

I say just ask for opinion. Excellent good bad or awful.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                                the lightness and uniformity of the wash definitely reads very dad jean to me.
                                It's not just the lightness and uniformity. Ignoring the fact that light jeans are generally out of fashion (that is cyclical, of course), light jeans are very casual, but here they're worn with a tucked-in button down plus a dressy belt and penny loafers, both in black. It looks out of balance.

I also don't actually see this wash on J Crew's website. The closest seems to be the Tobias, which is styled with running shoes and t-shirts.

Comment

Working...
                                X