This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
    So THAT's how you pull off a lavender/purple check shirt...huh. Looks good. I can't ever bring myself to venture into that spectrum of the color wheel; too intimidating for me.
    Thanks - I find it's pretty easy to work with "louder" colors when the majority of your wardrobe is otherwise neutral. This shirt is particularly easy because it's got navy blue mixed in so it's already rather toned-down. Could have toned things down even more by sticking with a navy tie and a more traditional shoe color.

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
    What jacket is that?
    Not sure, it's past-season. Bought it pre-owned from another forum member.
    Ben

Comment

First time posting in WIWT. Nerves.

Suit: navy wool Ludlow
      Shirt: white royal oxford from Charles Tyrwhitt
      Tie: gray plaid from Express
      Accessories: royal blue tie bar and white cotton pocket square (green edges hidden by the fold) from Tie Bar, aviators from H&M, hat from an in-house Gilt brand

Not pictured: royal blue cashmere socks from I don't remember where, black wholecuts from Allen Edmonds, vintage camel hair peacoat

Comment

Did a version of the Ludlow have 3-buttons at one point? I think it looks good other than to say I am not a hat or tie bar guy. Maybe works?

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
          Did a version of the Ludlow have 3-buttons at one point? I think it looks good other than to say I am not a hat or tie bar guy. Maybe works?
          It could be a 3-roll-2. My local JCF had a bunch of navy 3-roll-2 Ludlow suit jackets on the clearance rack last summer. I remember looking up the item number on J.Crew's website, but I can't remember it now.

Comment

I was thinking it looks like a 3 roll 2. I don't think that's possible though. The Ludlow is not an Italian inspired suit, so I don't imagine they would use that kind of detail.
            My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Thanks! I'm not a tie or tie bar guy most of the time; I'm all about open collar and pocket square. I had an interview with a state agency today or I'd be in the same outfit sans tie and plus a more colorful pocket square. (I knew half the interview panel so was comfortable bringing a little sprezz.)

It could be a 3-roll-2. My local JCF had a bunch of navy 3-roll-2 Ludlow suit jackets on the clearance rack last summer. I remember looking up the item number on J.Crew's website, but I can't remember it now.
              Exactly right: it's a Ludlow 3-roll-2.

Comment

Originally posted by Hierophant View Post
                First time posting in WIWT. Nerves.

Suit: navy wool Ludlow
                Shirt: white royal oxford from Charles Tyrwhitt
                Tie: gray plaid from Express
                Accessories: royal blue tie bar and white cotton pocket square (green edges hidden by the fold) from Tie Bar, aviators from H&M, hat from an in-house Gilt brand

Not pictured: royal blue cashmere socks from I don't remember where, black wholecuts from Allen Edmonds, vintage camel hair peacoat

Sharp bud, but need to size down on the sunglasses. Welcome.

Comment

Picture on the top is me and representative of how I normally dress. The bottom picture is me when I first got into menswear. Thought I'd share

Top:
                  SuSu Havana
                  SuSu shirt
                  Brooks Brothers tie

Bottom:
                  Hugo Boss, purchased NWT for $200 (eBay). Would have been a good deal, but I never wear it.
                  CT gingham shirt. Doesn't look that bad, I guess. I'm not a big fan of gingham. Funny story, the gingham shirt actually has french cuffs. I had no clue.
                  Tie bar tie. I still kind of like this tie. It just looks so cheap.

Comment

Like today's look a lot but would like it even more with a less formal tie (I think a knit would be great). What trew you got? Please say light grey. And what do you think of the susu shirts? I've heard not necessarily positive things...

The "before" pic is better than most of us manage even now

Comment

Originally posted by vespertiliovir View Post
                      Like today's look a lot but would like it even more with a less formal tie (I think a knit would be great). What trew you got? Please say light grey. And what do you think of the susu shirts? I've heard not necessarily positive things...

The "before" pic is better than most of us manage even now
                      I'm not sure what you mean by trew? I like Suitsupply's shirts. I've got both on eBay and doubt I would pay retail for them. But they are pretty nice.

Comment

Sorry, trew = trousers. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by vespertiliovir View Post
                          Sorry, trew = trousers. lol.
                          They are both suits. I wear light grey or light/mid grey trousers with blue sportcoats though. That's my uniform (blue jacket grey trousers) when I'm not wearing a suit.

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post

Picture on the top is me and representative of how I normally dress. The bottom picture is me when I first got into menswear. Thought I'd share

Top:
                            SuSu Havana
                            SuSu shirt
                            Brooks Brothers tie

Bottom:
                            Hugo Boss, purchased NWT for $200 (eBay). Would have been a good deal, but I never wear it.
                            CT gingham shirt. Doesn't look that bad, I guess. I'm not a big fan of gingham. Funny story, the gingham shirt actually has french cuffs. I had no clue.
                            Tie bar tie. I still kind of like this tie. It just looks so cheap.
                            I obviously can't see the whole ensemble but I like the bottom pattern matching and such better than the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepetito View Post
                              I obviously can't see the whole ensemble but I like the bottom pattern matching and such better than the top.
                              The bottom is very much more of a younger man's look. I don't like gingham with suits, personally. That may have something to do with my age. I'm 33 and don't find the gq aesthetic particularly pleasing. I was 31 when I bought the clothes in the bottom look, so still not a child by any means. The outfit certainly still looks good. I just feel it comes off a little less reserved than I generally am.

Comment

What is the "gq aesthetic"

Comment

Working...
                                X