Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIWT

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts



    Suit: LE31 by Simon's - Super 120s
    Shirt: H&M
    Tie: thrifted
    Tiebar: Simon's
    Pocket Square: thrifted
    Watch: Fossil
    Shoe: Black captoe derby's Made in Italy
    5' 6" | 143 lbs | 29x30 pants | 36S jacket | 14.5 shirt | 8 shoe size

    Comment


      None more black.

      Looks good, but you better be heading to Vegas or a Johnny Cash party in that get up.

      Comment


        Originally posted by AsianDapper View Post


        Suit: LE31 by Simon's - Super 120s
        Shirt: H&M
        Tie: thrifted
        Tiebar: Simon's
        Pocket Square: thrifted
        Watch: Fossil
        Shoe: Black captoe derby's Made in Italy
        Fits all look good but too monochromatic for my taste. There is some contrast but not nearly as much as I'd be looking for.

        Comment


          Originally posted by thedrake View Post
          None more black.

          Looks good, but you better be heading to Vegas or a Johnny Cash party in that get up.
          Suit is actually charcoal, and the dress shirt is very dark grey.
          The only black stuff are the tie, pocket square and the derbies.

          And no sir, I went to the office yesterday

          Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post
          Fits all look good but too monochromatic for my taste. There is some contrast but not nearly as much as I'd be looking for.
          Thank you! I know contrast is key but I just experimented with this monochromatic look, and it turns out I can pull it off!
          5' 6" | 143 lbs | 29x30 pants | 36S jacket | 14.5 shirt | 8 shoe size

          Comment


            I think it looks alright but that dude right next to you totally copped your style.

            Originally posted by AsianDapper View Post
            Suit is actually charcoal, and the dress shirt is very dark grey.
            The only black stuff are the tie, pocket square and the derbies.

            And no sir, I went to the office yesterday



            Thank you! I know contrast is key but I just experimented with this monochromatic look, and it turns out I can pull it off!

            Comment


              Originally posted by AsianDapper View Post


              Suit: LE31 by Simon's - Super 120s
              Shirt: H&M
              Tie: thrifted
              Tiebar: Simon's
              Pocket Square: thrifted
              Watch: Fossil
              Shoe: Black captoe derby's Made in Italy
              You look like a slim guy. Have you considered looking for a brand that cuts their shoulders more slim? You may also prefer a softer more natural shoulder. Have you tried that? Just my 2¢.
              My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

              Comment


                Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
                You look like a slim guy. Have you considered looking for a brand that cuts their shoulders more slim? You may also prefer a softer more natural shoulder. Have you tried that? Just my 2¢.
                Beggars can't be choosers!

                If, in the future, i'd have more money to buy better suits, i'm definitely looking into that.
                5' 6" | 143 lbs | 29x30 pants | 36S jacket | 14.5 shirt | 8 shoe size

                Comment


                  Originally posted by AsianDapper View Post
                  Beggars can't be choosers!

                  If, in the future, i'd have more money to buy better suits, i'm definitely looking into that.
                  I get it. My clothes buying has been put on hold for a while.
                  My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post
                    What do you mean about the tie knot? It looks like a straightforward four-in-hand to me, with a asymmetrical dimple (which is pretty common, I thought- I use it often).
                    Nothing wrong with a four-in-hand with a classic pin-point collar. I just think that a bigger knot, like a full windsor, looks better with a spread collar. If you go back in this thread, there was some discussion about it. [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION], mentioned that he intentionally ties his tie a bit half-haphazardly so not to give the impression he has been fussing in front of a mirror all day. I was curious if not using bar lacing was for a similar reason.

                    Don't get me wrong--I don't mean to be criticizing his style. He is an incredible dresser. It is just that when you see someone who dresses as meticulously as he does, you start to study it more to determine why it looks so good. For me, I then take notice of the details: the cut of the jacket, the buttons, the patch pockets, the knot in the tie, the lacing of the shoes, etc. For someone that is obviously very attentive to style, and even refers to himself as a modern dandy, I find the showing so much collar band and criss-cross laces to be peculiar. It must be for a reason.

                    FWIW, straight European lacing can be tightened just as easily as criss-cross lacing: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/stra...peanlacing.htm With a proper fitting balmoral, like the one you are wearing, all the crossing is neatly hidden.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by connersw View Post
                      Nothing wrong with a four-in-hand with a classic pin-point collar. I just think that a bigger knot, like a full windsor, looks better with a spread collar. If you go back in this thread, there was some discussion about it. [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION], mentioned that he intentionally ties his tie a bit half-haphazardly so not to give the impression he has been fussing in front of a mirror all day. I was curious if not using bar lacing was for a similar reason.

                      Don't get me wrong--I don't mean to be criticizing his style. He is an incredible dresser. It is just that when you see someone who dresses as meticulously as he does, you start to study it more to determine why it looks so good. For me, I then take notice of the details: the cut of the jacket, the buttons, the patch pockets, the knot in the tie, the lacing of the shoes, etc. For someone that is obviously very attentive to style, and even refers to himself as a modern dandy, I find the showing so much collar band and criss-cross laces to be peculiar. It must be for a reason.

                      FWIW, straight European lacing can be tightened just as easily as criss-cross lacing: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/stra...peanlacing.htm With a proper fitting balmoral, like the one you are wearing, all the crossing is neatly hidden.
                      That was actually an article that someone else posted about the nonchalance of the fih and not looking like you were standing in front of a mirror all day. I never gave it much thought. I guess the FIH is what I see while perusing the internet. Also I have read several articles that say that you should not wear windsor knots. Also, I don't consider myself a modern dandy. The style of the modern dandy is what I appreciate the most. Financial and social constraints prevent me from actually being a modern dandy. If I were rich I would travel the globe dressed in nothing but the finest Neapolitan menswear. Unfortunately that is not the case.
                      My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by connersw View Post
                        Nothing wrong with a four-in-hand with a classic pin-point collar. I just think that a bigger knot, like a full windsor, looks better with a spread collar. If you go back in this thread, there was some discussion about it. [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION], mentioned that he intentionally ties his tie a bit half-haphazardly so not to give the impression he has been fussing in front of a mirror all day. I was curious if not using bar lacing was for a similar reason.

                        Don't get me wrong--I don't mean to be criticizing his style. He is an incredible dresser. It is just that when you see someone who dresses as meticulously as he does, you start to study it more to determine why it looks so good. For me, I then take notice of the details: the cut of the jacket, the buttons, the patch pockets, the knot in the tie, the lacing of the shoes, etc. For someone that is obviously very attentive to style, and even refers to himself as a modern dandy, I find the showing so much collar band and criss-cross laces to be peculiar. It must be for a reason.

                        FWIW, straight European lacing can be tightened just as easily as criss-cross lacing: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/stra...peanlacing.htm With a proper fitting balmoral, like the one you are wearing, all the crossing is neatly hidden.
                        I'm going to try this kind of lacing for the week. Maybe I'm wrong about it being more difficult. I was wrong once before.
                        My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by AsianDapper View Post


                          Suit: LE31 by Simon's - Super 120s
                          Shirt: H&M
                          Tie: thrifted
                          Tiebar: Simon's
                          Pocket Square: thrifted
                          Watch: Fossil
                          Shoe: Black captoe derby's Made in Italy
                          Unlike some of the others, I like the attempt.

                          If one or two simple tweaks were made, I believe it would speak to a far larger audience. First, I'd swap the mid to dark gray shirt for a much lighter gray. It still keeps everything in the charcoal/black family, but adds some needed contrast without going full on white. Second, the pocket square, same idea. Maybe something like a gray chambray.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by AsianDapper View Post


                            Suit: LE31 by Simon's - Super 120s
                            Shirt: H&M
                            Tie: thrifted
                            Tiebar: Simon's
                            Pocket Square: thrifted
                            Watch: Fossil
                            Shoe: Black captoe derby's Made in Italy
                            Man (men) in black/grey, or is it man with soul mate
                            Eat what is good for your health but
                            Wear what is good for your and others eyes

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by ronrob View Post
                              Unlike some of the others, I like the attempt.

                              If one or two simple tweaks were made, I believe it would speak to a far larger audience. First, I'd swap the mid to dark gray shirt for a much lighter gray. It still keeps everything in the charcoal/black family, but adds some needed contrast without going full on white. Second, the pocket square, same idea. Maybe something like a gray chambray.
                              I like the idea - could've gone that way but don't have a lighter gray shirt currently. So as a chambray square.
                              But I do have a gingham pocket square, don't know if that'll make a difference.
                              5' 6" | 143 lbs | 29x30 pants | 36S jacket | 14.5 shirt | 8 shoe size

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
                                I'm going to try this kind of lacing for the week. Maybe I'm wrong about it being more difficult. I was wrong once before.
                                I use criss-cross lacing for most of my dress shoes, but have the bar lacing as shown in @connerssw 's link for a pair or two... including a pair of canvas sneakers. I really think it's purely preference on the look. You can get reasonably easy tightening with bar lacing, but I don't think it's as easy as with criss-cross. YMMV but worth a shot.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X