Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@nick, im especially digging that look with the yellow sweater lookin' good my man!

Comment

Oh man. Reading this thread makes me think I should, like, put on clothes or something.

Studying in pajamas FTW!

Ben

Comment

Alan - after work, you should unbutton the top three buttons of that shirt and go get a drink. =D

Comment

After work, I have class. :-(

Comment

@alan: what classes you taking?You must be the best dressed person in class going after work like that!

Comment

My new semester starts tonight. I've got marketing and finance this semester. And I'm certainly on the more dressed-up end, but everyone else is coming from work, too, but most people are wearing buttoned shirts and dressy pants (or the female equivalent).

Comment

@nftmlk thanks for the advice. I was under the impression that the 514s were raw? Is that right?

Comment

@Mathis - The 501, 514, etc. by Levi are washed denim jeans that come in a variety of rinses and colors. You can get Levi's Shrink-to-Fit versions of them that are raw denim.

The other element is selvedge. That's where you get the little tabs on the cuff that indicates the fabric is selvedge denim that is a high quality fabric made in a handful of places around the world because it's a slower process.

Comment

@nick - not to sound like a denimhead but selvedge doesn't necessarily indicate that the cotton is high quality and sourced from somewhere exotic, it's simply a manufacturing process. If it's high-quality fabric, you'll generally see that mentioned on a label or in the price.

@mathis - I agree with everybody here about going for dark washed denim, but if you're somebody who wants his jeans to remain nice and dark for their lifespan, don't go the raw denim route. Raw denim fades a good deal (you can find photos online), and if you want that, go for them, but if you want your dark jeans to stay dark, don't go raw, just dark-washed!

Comment

@Los Rockets Jacked up price on selvedge just because of the more expensive manufacturing?

Comment

@mathis. here's a pic of my made in japan uniqlo selvedge jeans at around 1 year and 6 months with no wash.

first WIWT pic::

pic quality isn't the greatest due to lighting but here's another look at the merona blazer.

for nick and acousticfoodie.. of course

Comment

@nftmlk Wow, I can see what you're saying. I've been looking around for where I can get a pair. The best bet right now seems to be Levi's. I think I'll wait for a sale though. That pic looks sharp. I've been looking for the Merona blazer but haven't been able to find it at my Target.

Edit: I've been looking for some of those Uniqlo selvedge jeans because from what I'm reading it looks like they are around $40???? That seems crazy but I can't find where to purchase them.

Comment

haha, guess I'll have to go to NY to get me a pair of those.

Comment

Or use Suddenlee's personal shoppers to pick them up in store and ship them to you. =)

Comment

In my experience selvedge doesn't jack up the price very much (compare Levis non-selvedge vs selvedge), but raw denim or denim sourced from heritage mills is expensive (look to pay $150+ for such jeans). I have a pair of selvedge denim jeans from BR that I bought back in 2007 that have faded really beautifully in some places but still look nice and dark. Got them for about $40 or 50 back then on a splurge. I love the look of those uniqlo jeans, wow!

Comment

Working...
                                X