Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll disagree on the pattern scaling, but I'd like to hear from a few others on the subject just to get input. I will agree that a solid tie is a "safer" choice, but I don't think what I've got is a poor choice.

Comment

IMHO the issue is not so much the pattern scaling so much as it is the tie being too colorful. I think you could get away with, say, a grey glenplaid. But the CG one is too loud for my taste.

Comment

Do you have an unfiltered picture? It is all sort of bleeding blue together. I think the pattern scale is fine but with the shirt + tie then a pink square is a bit much. Fit looks great though!

x-post from Sunday challenge:
        Suit Supply / Hugo Boss / Bruce Field / Carmina

Comment

I think the unsatisfying thing about this tie/shirt combo isn't the scale of the patterns per se but the lack of general visual contrast between them. On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is solid white and 10 is solid black, both these items read as a 3 or 4 to me. There is high contrast in the actual colors of the shirt, but it still resolves to a visual "light-medium" because of the small scale of the pattern. Even though the tie pattern is on a larger scale, it has a similar visual effect because of the pastel colors. IMO there is insufficient visual contrast between the shirt and tie. The outfit would be more successful with a tie in darker colors (e.g. navy and burgundy plaid), or a shirt in lighter colors (e.g. white and pale blue windowpane).

This shirt/tie combo isn't awful by any stretch but I think something with more visual/textural contrast would be better. But as my recent WIWTs probably demonstrate, my personal taste in a business wardrobe leans toward solids, understated patterns, and textured elements these days. I used to be big into coordinating bold colors and patterns in my jacket/tie outfits. But recently I am very much drawn to the simplicity of a dark suit, white or light blue shirt, and dark solid tie. IMO there is a certain foolproof elegance in that simplicity.
          Ben

Comment

I appreciate the input so far.

Unfiltered, as requested.

Same suit and shirt, changed to charcoal tie and white/blue border pocket square, with the bonus of crap lighting:

Comment

[MENTION=12746]ronrob[/MENTION], That second combo is more successful IMO.

More casual today:

Suitsupply jacket, BB OCBD, JCF chinos, Sperry shoes, Orient watch
              Ben

Comment

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] Always loved the fabric on that SS jacket. They do a wonderful job of sourcing some really impressive fabrics. Like the fit of it also, hangs very cleanly. I do think I'd like it better with less casual clothing though, like a semi-spread shirt and suede shoes/loafers.

Comment

Out for a Thurs night drink at NJ's finest Italian.

Shirt - BR
                  Jeans - Ralph Lauren
                  Shoes - Ferragamo
                  Watch - Marina Militare
                  Belt - Dockers

Comment

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] - love that outfit. Very classic.
                    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

Family graduation luncheon....

Polo - BR
                      Sport Coat - Izod
                      Pocket Square - The Tie Bar
                      Pants - Gap Linen Cotton
                      Belt - BR
                      Shoes - Cole Haan
                      Time-X Expedition

Comment

This is my, "I'd drape myself in linen if it were appropriate" outfit. Thank heavens, it is.

https://flic.kr/p/vj4nCD

Sportcoat: JCF
                        Shirt: JCF
                        Pants: JCF
                        Shoes: BB by Alden

Comment

Originally posted by Nleaders View Post
                          This is my, "I'd drape myself in linen if it were appropriate" outfit. Thank heavens, it is.

https://flic.kr/p/vj4nCD

Sportcoat: JCF
                          Shirt: JCF
                          Pants: JCF
                          Shoes: BB by Alden
                          Looks great!

Comment

Andover Shop Soft Summer Green Silk sport coat, in Andover Shop's classic 2 button Sack. J. Press Yale sports tie, Brooks Bros. Club collar shirt, Royal Silk Herringbone pocket square, Collar Bar, Lands" End white Baird & McNutt Linen trousers, J. Press Navy Surcingle belt, Marcoliani Cotton Lisle OTC socks, Allen Edmonds, Spectator Balmorals in Dark Tan and cream.

Comment

[MENTION=14117]Billax[/MENTION] - Fit is great but the blue shirt isn't doing it for me. I can't pinpoint the exact thing other than maybe the contrast collar and stripes. I also like the length of the shirt sleeves. Some may say they are too long but if you move your arms around a lot while wearing a dress shirt, the added length is noticeable and helps them not pull up on the arm.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                                [MENTION=14117]Billax[/MENTION] - Fit is great but the blue shirt isn't doing it for me. I can't pinpoint the exact thing other than maybe the contrast collar and stripes. I also like the length of the shirt sleeves. Some may say they are too long but if you move your arms around a lot while wearing a dress shirt, the added length is noticeable and helps them not pull up on the arm.
                                Thanks for your comments, Mr. Barwick! I think you're quite justified in asserting that point, given the style/fashion perspective from which you come.

I, on the other hand, come from a different tradition – the Ivy League Look – which I've been lazy enough to keep wearing long since its fashion expiration date in the late 1960s. In that tradition, a white contrast club collar, with a blue oxford cloth body is a perfectly acceptable look. Lord knows, there are even Geezers like me who enjoy wearing the contrast collar look with sport coats!

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                                X