Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to keep my eyes open without smiling. If I smile I squint too much.

Suit: Suit Supply
    Tie: Canali
    Shirt: Boss Black
    Shoes: Bexley of Paris

Comment

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
      Trying to figure out if I need to purchase a tux for an upcoming wedding, I'm not in the wedding party but it's black tie - (I'm leaning towards not, and my budget doesn't really support it, nor do I have many events to wear one), and I was inspired by Jeff Goldblum's Oscar look to use my Midnight Navy Peak Lapel suit as a substitute. What do y'all think?
      How often do you think you'll be wearing a tux int the future? If not very often, I'd suggest going for a black suit. Yes, people poo-poo the black suit, but I suspect you'll get more wear out of than going for a tux. Or if not a black suit, then maybe a dark-ish blue one that you'll be able to pull off at the wedding then use for other functions. Just my $0.02.

Comment

Very nice [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION]! Is that the SS Napoli? It looks very nice in your picture... I still have yet to see a SS jacket or suit in person.

Comment

[MENTION=4193]sabrown[/MENTION] yea this is the Napoli. The sleeves need lengthened a tad and the jacket could be longer so next time I may go with a 40L if I try and Suit Supply jacket. For alterations I had the pants hemmed and the jacket tapered slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
            [MENTION=4193]sabrown[/MENTION] yea this is the Napoli. The sleeves need lengthened a tad and the jacket could be longer so next time I may go with a 40L if I try and Suit Supply jacket. For alterations I had the pants hemmed and the jacket tapered slightly.
            Looks good! What color is it? The dark grey Napoli Blue Line?

Comment

[MENTION=13447]JDT[/MENTION] it is actually the Navy Purple Line for $499. I got it in May/June last year and the Blue Line was not stocked at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                [MENTION=13447]JDT[/MENTION] it is actually the Navy Purple Line for $499. I got it in May/June last year and the Blue Line was not stocked at the time.
                Ok! How much did you lengthen the sleeves?

I just got my Napoli blue line in dark grey. The jacket is pretty much spot on, except for sleeve length. I think I have to lengthen them almost an inch, or shorten all my shirt sleeves, but considering how much space there will be between buttons and the end of the sleeve, I am not sure

Comment

[MENTION=13447]JDT[/MENTION] I have not lengthened them yet but I may only go half an inch or so. I blame the dress shirt I put on while try on the jacket the first time. It looked spot on but now it looks slightly short. I would size up if you are trying for an inch of lengthening.

Comment

Cardigan: van heusen
                    Shirt: Hilfiger
                    Tie: Ben Sherman
                    Pants: JCF
                    Belt: Express

Comment

I like that the lighter gray color is in each piece. Sort of ties the whole thing together.

Comment

[MENTION=2492]LosRockets[/MENTION] [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] [MENTION=8057]Jamie[/MENTION] I appreciate the feedback gents. I do realize that the proportions are bit off, namely the jacket is certainly a bit too chopped and tight, Ive gained a bit of weight over the past few months (this is a good thing in my case, went from ~130 to ~155) so I'm transitioning. Planning on replacing this jacket an unstructured jacket from JCrew soon. Open to suggestions for some new jeans, as these are getting a bit too faded for my tastes. I do prefer a bit more tapered aesthetic than most here I suppose.

Today's WIWT seemed relevant with the Shoe Price and watch tier discussions going on:

Cotton-Cashmere Sweater, Tattersall Washed Shirt, and Urban Slim Chinos: Jcrew Factory
                        Leather Chukkas: Bostonian
                        Watch: Michael Kors

These chukkas have been my workhorse, go everywhere, do (almost) anything shoes for ~7 years. IIRC, I picked these up at around 60 dollars. While the leather doesn't look nearly as good as a more expensive pair would, I'm really happy with how these have held up with just the occasional conditioning. Not sure what some guys are doing in their shoes, but I typically get a long life out of most of mine.

While I'm not thrilled about the name brand, I really like the styling of this watch for everyday casual. Good balance of cleanliness and rugged IMO. Definitely not worth it at full price ($250 is ridiculous for a Fossil manufactured quartz watch) , but I got this for around 80 or so dollars. Would like to replace eventually with a similar look from either Seiko or Orient as I do think automatic movements are pretty charming. Open to suggestions here.

Comment

I still have a pair of Bostonian's from 2007. They are cap-toe bluchers that I use as bad weather shoes for the drive in. For not having used shoe trees until 2012, they have held up nicely and developed a patina I like. Everything else looks good too!

Comment

[MENTION=13129]bartleby patrick[/MENTION] -- great look. IMHO, a huge improvement over your first in terms of fit. While you're right that you prefer more of a taper in the jeans that most here, you appear to have the right body type (tall and lanky) to pull it off. I'm not into the cuffs, but that's just a preference. All in all, nicely done!

Comment

[MENTION=12707]DapperTexan[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13129]bartleby patrick[/MENTION] - both good looks!

Comment

Just got these shoes from eBay and couldn't wait to take then out for a spin.

Jacket and Tie: BB
                                Shirt: Ratio
                                Pants: BR
                                Shoes: AE Richmond Longwings

Comment

Working...
                                X