This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the love of God? Wow. Intense.

Anyway, I would love to, but I can't. Mrs B has hijacked the good camera for business purposes and I'm stuck with a camera phone. Until I can nab a tripod or extension rod of some kind, I'm stuck. Besides, I feel this is more artistic.

Comment

Managed a slightly longer shot of myself taking a break at the old rock pile, aka salt mine, aka slave factory.

Comment

And then downward, documenting how I was slowly dragging my butt off to the rock pile this morning.

My beloved old LL Bean field coat, J. Crew stone chinos (that I myself sewed cuffs on, 1.75 inches, mind you), and my trusty old LL Bean blucher mocs. If you'll look carefully, you'll see, from the right pants leg, a bit of stray fabric that needs to be clipped, a result of my hurrying through the last few stitches of that project. Where'd I put those scissors?

J. Crew does one thing right--they still make pretty good chinos. However, I don't know why in the world they can't offer them cuffed they way Lands' End does. It wouldn't take that much. For that reason, I've basically stopped buying J. Crew chinos. While I don't like the 1.25-inch cuff from LE as much (and they won't make exceptions for a bigger cuff), it is much less hassle simply to buy cuffed chinos from Lands' End. Plus their pockets are deeper, actually large enough to put your whole hand in. And I am a big hands-in-pockets kind of guy.

Last edited by Billox; February 24, 2015, 01:24 PM.

Comment

It's a compliment; I love what I see. I just wish I could see how it all comes together.

Comment

Thanks, [MENTION=9652]vespertiliovir[/MENTION]. I wish I could do it. I'm keeping my eyes open for something tripod-ish I can use with my phone camera.

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby patrick View Post
              Figured I'd make my inaugural post in this thread today. Pretty simple outfit today.

unstructured sportcoat - Gap
              White Oxford - JCF
              Knit Tie - JCF
              Belt - JCF
              Skinny Selvedge Raw Denim - Gap (love these, third pair)
              Boots - Jcrew x Red Wing Iron Rangers (Still pretty slushy out here)
              Welcome to WIWT and please keep posting. If I can offer some constructive criticism though, the proportions on this outfit and the mishmosh of items are really all off, it's very "dressed by the internet." It's okay, myself and a lot of other young men start out that way. Those boots look massive given your leg opening and the overall slimness of those pants, and the rise is so low I can see a lot of your shirt under the jacket button, when I shouldn't see any (though it's partially because that jacket has a too high buttoning point). I think something fuller would really work well with the boots. Together, what all of this does and what I only realized in the past year or so, is that it makes a slim guy like yourself look rather, well, pear-shaped/wide-hipped. Shirt and tie are fine and go with the jeans and also the jacket. I realize the boots are the product of the slush outside though so take all of this with a grain of salty snow. Obviously you may not have all of this in your closet, just throwing it out there as a relatively simple way to improve on an outfit that's got all of the basics in play. A lot of looking good in what you wear is about the shape and drape of the clothes, the geometry they project onto your body (which actually differs IMO from "fit"), regardless of what your body is actually shaped like.

@Billox: Our old pal Duvel would love you. Seriously though, if you can, post full shots because you've got a good look going that I think you've already figured out works well for you and I think that a lot of people stand to learn from it.

@AsianDapper: Welcome! Colors are a little bright for me but that's where we all start out. You look like you already have a decent sense of pattern and layering and (yellow-excepted, my own bias), color. That F21 trench looks really cool, tuck in the shirt though! Honestly impressed given you just started browsing Dappered a couple weeks ago.

Comment

Thank you, [MENTION=2492]LosRockets[/MENTION]! I shall endeavor to graduate to the full fit shot!

Comment

[MENTION=2492]LosRockets[/MENTION] - Dressed by the internet is the best thing I've read all day! I agree with you assessment and would like to add what I see. Seems the jacket may be a size too small as it is pulling at the button and the sleeves seem too narrow as they are bunching in areas like it is a little tight. It also has the sartorial mullet going on with business on the top, party down below.

I will admit I am terrible at pairing boots.
                  [MENTION=13455]Billox[/MENTION] - I will I could pull off your style. It looks so relaxed!

Comment

Very kind of you to say so, [MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION]. Sizing is always a pain in the keester. I'm always a little uncertain about how things fit and look on me. But one thing I've learned over the years is to err just a little on the plus side of the equation. So, if I'm between a medium and a large in a sweater, for instance, I'll go with a large, or between a 42 and 44 in a jacket, I'll go with the 44--all other things being equal, of course.

I don't do that with shoes, on the other hand. I prefer a snugger fit in my footwear. Nor with shirt collars, generally. For instance, I am between a 16.5 and a 17 in a Brooks ocbd--I can get a finger in the collar of a buttoned up Brooks ocbd, and it can feel just ever so slightly tight with a tie. But if I size up to a 17, I don't get a good collar roll.

Comment

Trying to figure out if I need to purchase a tux for an upcoming wedding, I'm not in the wedding party but it's black tie - (I'm leaning towards not, and my budget doesn't really support it, nor do I have many events to wear one), and I was inspired by Jeff Goldblum's Oscar look to use my Midnight Navy Peak Lapel suit as a substitute. What do y'all think?

Comment

I think with a shirt with studs, you could pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
                          Trying to figure out if I need to purchase a tux for an upcoming wedding, I'm not in the wedding party but it's black tie - (I'm leaning towards not, and my budget doesn't really support it, nor do I have many events to wear one), and I was inspired by Jeff Goldblum's Oscar look to use my Midnight Navy Peak Lapel suit as a substitute. What do y'all think?
                          I think so, a lot of black tie guidelines say it is better not try and do a fake tux, and that when wearing a suit to a black tie event, one should wear a long tie. I am not sure of the reason for the rule though. You might want to ask the host if they are ok with it (for etiquette's sake). What is your plan for the tie(I am not sure if the one you are wearing is black or not) and waistcovering?

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                            I think so, a lot of black tie guidelines say it is better not try and do a fake tux, and that when wearing a suit to a black tie event, one should wear a long tie. I am not sure of the reason for the rule though. You might want to ask the host if they are ok with it (for etiquette's sake). What is your plan for the tie(I am not sure if the one you are wearing is black or not) and waistcovering?
                            I'm wearing a waistcoat in the picture - I have access to a black grosgrain cummerbund, which would match the bowtie. I think it looks pretty good, personally.

It's my wife's first cousin, and I doubt he cares much, but ill ask him.

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby patrick View Post
                              Figured I'd make my inaugural post in this thread today. Pretty simple outfit today.

unstructured sportcoat - Gap
                              White Oxford - JCF
                              Knit Tie - JCF
                              Belt - JCF
                              Skinny Selvedge Raw Denim - Gap (love these, third pair)
                              Boots - Jcrew x Red Wing Iron Rangers (Still pretty slushy out here)
                              Lots of good pieces here, and overall a solid look - but my $0.02: that jacket is tiny! The shoulders fit, but its short in the arms and waaayyy short in the body length (accounting, no doubt, for some of the shirt on display above the belt as [MENTION=2492]LosRockets[/MENTION] mentions), and tight through the torso. I'm afraid that to my eye, the small and tight jacket combined with the high rolled jeans makes it look like you accidentally shrank your whole outfit - its just really throwing off the proportions. I like the pairing of the casual jacket with the jeans, OCBD and knit tie - and love me some IR boots.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                                Welcome to WIWT and please keep posting. If I can offer some constructive criticism though, the proportions on this outfit and the mishmosh of items are really all off, it's very "dressed by the internet." It's okay, myself and a lot of other young men start out that way. Those boots look massive given your leg opening and the overall slimness of those pants, and the rise is so low I can see a lot of your shirt under the jacket button, when I shouldn't see any (though it's partially because that jacket has a too high buttoning point). I think something fuller would really work well with the boots. Together, what all of this does and what I only realized in the past year or so, is that it makes a slim guy like yourself look rather, well, pear-shaped/wide-hipped. Shirt and tie are fine and go with the jeans and also the jacket. I realize the boots are the product of the slush outside though so take all of this with a grain of salty snow. Obviously you may not have all of this in your closet, just throwing it out there as a relatively simple way to improve on an outfit that's got all of the basics in play. A lot of looking good in what you wear is about the shape and drape of the clothes, the geometry they project onto your body (which actually differs IMO from "fit"), regardless of what your body is actually shaped like.

@Billox: Our old pal Duvel would love you. Seriously though, if you can, post full shots because you've got a good look going that I think you've already figured out works well for you and I think that a lot of people stand to learn from it.

@AsianDapper: Welcome! Colors are a little bright for me but that's where we all start out. You look like you already have a decent sense of pattern and layering and (yellow-excepted, my own bias), color. That F21 trench looks really cool, tuck in the shirt though! Honestly impressed given you just started browsing Dappered a couple weeks ago.
                                Thanks! I've been reading and browsing a lot of men's fashion about 6 months ago before joining here, so maybe that's why I already have a faint idea how to dress up haha!

Wearing light colors, for me, negates the cold and wintry season we have here so that's my reason

Anyway, another one for me from the past day:

Shirt: George by Walmart
                                Sweater: Merona
                                Pants: Zara
                                Socks: F21
                                Shoes: Call it spring
                                Belt: Banana Rep
                                Tie: thrifted
                                Tiebar: Simon's
                                Watch: Fossil
                                5' 6" | 143 lbs | 29x30 pants | 36S jacket | 14.5 shirt | 8 shoe size

Comment

Working...
                                X