Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIWT

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Alpha90 View Post
    Apologies, but this has far too much going on to work well. Any one of those items would be fine paired with a reasonably plain ensemble, but together they fail to be cohesive to the point of outright clashing. Every one of those is a "statement" piece.
    No offense taken by any means, but this is relatively plain except for the green blazer and socks? I wear a bow tie 3 or so times a week and a ps almost every day. To be fair, I dress in a much more dandy fashion than most people on this board.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Jshackleford View Post
      No offense taken by any means, but this is relatively plain except for the green blazer and socks? I wear a bow tie 3 or so times a week and a ps almost every day. To be fair, I dress in a much more dandy fashion than most people on this board.
      Well, I think that a brighter PS(or no PS at all), with some unadorned oxfords/derbies would go a long way. The dark pattern of the PS, combined with the host of patterns elsewhere, boggles the mind a bit. And, I find the kiltie+tassel loafers to not go well with the striped socks (which I'm fine with). I think the socks with some oxfords would be just enough dandy. But, that's just me. To thine own self be true.

      Comment


        [MENTION=12061]Jshackleford[/MENTION], the socks are the only thing I would ditch. I'm not a big fan of kiltie loafers but that is my personal preference. Overall I like it. Is that the true color of the jacket?

        Comment


          Originally posted by zcm View Post
          [MENTION=12061]Jshackleford[/MENTION], the socks are the only thing I would ditch. I'm not a big fan of kiltie loafers but that is my personal preference. Overall I like it. Is that the true color of the jacket?
          Kiltie loafers are definitely an acquired taste, but I've been big on the grandpa style thing recently. The socks are actually just because I got subtly told to put some socks on by my boss and these just happened to be in my car. The jacket is closer to the full body picture, but it has a really subtle blue tint that's really hard to capture.

          Comment


            a brighter pocket square would draw more attention I think. I have seen [MENTION=12061]Jshackleford[/MENTION] post several outfits and I would consider this a little plain. For me, he definitely falls into the category of "that looks good on him, but I couldnt pull it off". Maybe muted is a better word because of the darker colors. I am good with all of it but the loafers, but I just don't care for tassels personally. Kudos to wearing a green jacket without winning a Masters tournament.

            Comment


              Originally posted by idvsego View Post
              a brighter pocket square would draw more attention I think. I have seen [MENTION=12061]Jshackleford[/MENTION] post several outfits and I would consider this a little plain. For me, he definitely falls into the category of "that looks good on him, but I couldnt pull it off". Maybe muted is a better word because of the darker colors. I am good with all of it but the loafers, but I just don't care for tassels personally. Kudos to wearing a green jacket without winning a Masters tournament.
              well thank you sir, muted is definitely what I was going for. The green jacket was something I had worried about but paid basically nothing for, so I figured if I didn't wear it I could just re-donate it. It helps that it's not the bright kelly green of the Masters jacket. I definitely wouldn't wear it to dinner at the country club or after a round of golf though.

              Comment


                Originally posted by LCDR View Post




                Too many stripes?

                Suit: Caruso
                Shirt: BB
                Tie and PS: Drake's
                Shoes: Alden
                nah, I like it. a collar like that screams for a half Windsor to me though. four in hand looks kind of small and the offset nature of the knot is easy to pick out. Half Windsor is a little bulkier and symmetrical. But I have no actual knowledge of knot etiquette, just commenting on what I like.

                Comment


                  [MENTION=12061]Jshackleford[/MENTION] I like the outfit. I think you wear it well. As stated earlier "that looks good on him, but I couldnt pull it off" is how I see it as well. I'm not a fan of bowties for example, but you look at home in them. I also like the kilties and the jacket and pants ensemble.

                  Comment


                    [MENTION=4677]Shade[/MENTION] that's something I've come to really enjoy about this forum is that most of the people are good natured about it and give constructive criticism as opposed to outright critique.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                      nah, I like it. a collar like that screams for a half Windsor to me though. four in hand looks kind of small and the offset nature of the knot is easy to pick out. Half Windsor is a little bulkier and symmetrical. But I have no actual knowledge of knot etiquette, just commenting on what I like.
                      Agree that a wide spread collar like that usually looks better with a larger knot. However, a half Windsor technically isn't symmetrical -- relatively symmetrical compared to a 4IH, but if you want more full symmetry, a Pratt is close and a (full) Windsor is the most symmetrical... both will also get you the girth (leaving this low hanging fruit for [MENTION=2325]bruschetta[/MENTION] or someone else) you're looking for, too.

                      As for [MENTION=10240]LCDR[/MENTION]'s outfit, I think it looks good, although it is very blue-dominated. I think the multiple striped pieces work well, given the varied spacing, etc. of each pattern.

                      Comment


                        [MENTION=10240]LCDR[/MENTION]: Don't like your choice of shirt and pocket square here. Not really sure what the PS adds or works w/ in terms of its colors (yes, blue, obviously, but it still feels off) and the shirt pattern is just one I'm not a huge fan of. Caruso looks great on you!

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                          Agree that a wide spread collar like that usually looks better with a larger knot. However, a half Windsor technically isn't symmetrical -- relatively symmetrical compared to a 4IH, but if you want more full symmetry, a Pratt is close and a (full) Windsor is the most symmetrical... both will also get you the girth (leaving this low hanging fruit for [MENTION=2325]bruschetta[/MENTION] or someone else) you're looking for, too.

                          As for [MENTION=10240]LCDR[/MENTION]'s outfit, I think it looks good, although it is very blue-dominated. I think the multiple striped pieces work well, given the varied spacing, etc. of each pattern.
                          truth, but I am a small guy and I think the bulk of a full W looks odd on me so I never think about it. and I guess I should have said MORE symmetrical.

                          Comment


                            From a few days ago.



                            Shirt: Bonobos
                            Belt: Stafford brand
                            Pants: JCF
                            Shoes: AE Elgin

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by jeff4 View Post
                              From a few days ago.



                              Shirt: Bonobos
                              Belt: Stafford brand
                              Pants: JCF
                              Shoes: AE Elgin
                              I like what I can see of that belt. Might have to go check out the local JCP. Mine is in need of replacement.

                              Comment


                                I don't usually do these, but I wore (yesterday) this rather low-cost get-up:
                                https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9...729_171629.jpg
                                Shirt: Merona, gotten for $14 IIRC (I love it, but the embroidered flags are starting to de-thread...should have bought two).
                                Belt: Gap, gotten for $8
                                Chinos: Gap Lived In Straight, gotten for $34ish
                                Shoes: Lands End, gotten for $60ish
                                Watch: Weekender (paid full price)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X