This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
    It is a little absurd. I like seeing what others are wearing though, but unless someone is just making egregious errors, I feel uncomfortable critiquing someone else's choices and fits.
    But that's the purpose of a forum like this. If you keep saying nice things you won't help them.

Comment

It feels a little presumptuous. I might pick out something obvious, like clashing colors or something, but I've also learned that I can often be wrong (gasp). Or I change my mind about what does and does not look right, e.g., the fit of an OCBD.

Comment

In some instances, that my be true, but not always.

For example, when it comes to the fit of a jacket or a suit, there are obvious examples of why something fits well versus one that does not. And it is helpful to know *why* something looks off (e.g. open quarters, big lapels, too short, shoulder divots etc).

The idea behind a community is that it provides you with a forum for (hopefully, educated) criticism that you'd miss simply because you're vested in an outfit.

I discovered StyleForum back in 2007, when I first started consulting and was told that I'd need a few good suits. My idea of style was a cheap Macy's suit and Kenneth Cole square toed shoes (despite the fact that my father was somewhat of a dandy back in the day). But putting myself out there meant that I received a lot of good feedback. This was back when SF was a much more streamlined community, and people like Manton were still active participants, willing to help newbies. Through a painful growth process, I learned what works and what does not.

To me, that's one of the important drivers behind a community such as this. You get feedback, you incorporate ideas from others, and you build your own personal style as your knowledge and preferences evolve. And you give back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
          Whoa, [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION] is posting in WIWT now?! When did this start happening?! Liking that seersucker shirt.
          [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION] big respect on posting. Looks sharp! I guess I'm going to have to man up and eventually get around to posting something!

Comment

Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
            To me, that's one of the important drivers behind a community such as this. You get feedback, you incorporate ideas from others, and you build your own personal style as your knowledge and preferences evolve. And you give back.
            +1. Very insightful statement.

Comment

Board meeting Wednesday. An older but favorite Hickey Freeman MTM suit in charcoal (comfortable and not-so-slim fit). The dry cleaners did not include a crease in the pants, which made them look slightly unflattering.

Rest of the outfit is light blue Brooks Brothers shirt, Sam Hober tie, and Bostonian shoes. Not seen: Seagull 1963 watch.

Comment

WIWT

Chilly, rainy day today.
                Cardigan, shirt, and chinos: J Crew
                Shoes: Bass Weejuns
                Tie: Friday Tie Day

Comment

Looks good, [MENTION=12061]Jshackleford[/MENTION]. No preppy Bean boots for the rain?

Comment

Looks good, [MENTION=12061]Jshackleford[/MENTION]. No preppy Bean boots for the rain?
                    I wish! It's basically been a torrential downpour the past couple of days. Those or dress boots are my next shoe purchase because this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Invest in the Bean boots. I walk to work, and mine have been lifesavers on a couple of occasions this spring. I carry them almost every day in my backpack, if it's not raining when I set out.

When you do, size down considerably. I went down two whole sizes from my true shoe size.

Comment

Part of Duvel's uniform for a busy day tomorrow on the campus of a small liberal arts college in the Midwest. (College branding logo blocked out to help preserve Duvel's anonymity.)

I hate wearing this kind of shite. At least I got the right size. Believe it or not, this is a small.

Comment

Stafford prep cotton jacket
                          Express jeans
                          No name shirt
                          Timex on nato strap

Comment

No sympathizers, eh. Ah, well. I bear my fate alone. On to meet the alumni crusties!

Comment

Good luck, Duvel. Show 'em young uns how to style.

Believe it or not, this is a small.
                              Eh, wish my polos would fit as well. A small looks like a tent on me, and there are no good polo manufacturers in the US that make well-fitting XS sized polos (or golf shirts). I end up ordering from Asian or European brands.

Comment

No sympathizers, eh. Ah, well. I bear my fate alone. On to meet the alumni crusties!
                                Not very preppy... but for someone in a alumni relations position, you pretty much have to wear something like that. Unless your school is mainstream enough to have a place like Vineyard Vines make a tie for it. Or if your bookstore has something decent. Pair that with a OCBD with the sleeves rolled up and I think it could work. I am a pretty big fan of those VV ties, but I don't see myself ever paying $85 for a tie with my schools logo on it. Then again, I could just wear a Tartan tie

Comment

Working...
                                X