This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
    I don't see DBs much myself, in real life. Only on style blogs.
    I've had the same experience. I currently live in FL, which isn't the first place that you'd expect to see people wearing DBs, but even during my KY/Midwestern road trip last month, I don't remember seeing anyone else wear them besides me.

Comment

i live in a youthful part of manhattan, and you can't walk one block without seeing at least one guy with a beeswax clarks desert boot.

in spring/summer, you can count on seeing at least one pair of walnut strands a day

Comment

I saw a few, very few, when I was living in Asheville. Even then, the few I spotted seemed to be on tourists downtown. I didnt' see anybody else wearing them them in my daily real life there. I on the other hand wore them almost daily.

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
          [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] Interesting point. I never thought of it like that before. Obviously we will each have our own thoughts on this subject, but let me play devils advocate here... based on that same logic (every guys that doesn't care owns black dress shoes) why don't we feel the same way about white or blue dress shirts? I would be willing to say they are even more ubiquitous in the typical man's wardrobe? (Or is that argument a reach? Not quite apples to apples comparison).
          Much like black shoes, white and blue shirts are certainly must-haves in any man's wardrobe.

That said, I rarely (if ever) wear my black shoes as I find them too severe. I reserve them for *really* serious occasions (e.g. weddings or funerals), and rarely wear them for work.

My white and blue shirts on the other hand? Staples. All my suits are navy/charcoal, and most of my ties are pretty conservative. So, I can pick any suit, a blue/white shirt, and pop on a tie and a decent pair of shoes and look pretty pimp.

I think ultimately, that's the idea behind classic style elements -- that you can pair them with most things and get away with looking pretty decent, if not good.

Comment

I don't see DBs much myself, in real life. Only on style blogs.
            I've seen a few people wear them here in the east coast (Boston/NYC/CT areas). Not common, but certainly not rare.

You see them a lot more in the fall, before people start wearing overcoats.

Comment

Originally posted by M. Montaigne View Post
              I've seen a few people wear them here in the east coast (Boston/NYC/CT areas). Not common, but certainly not rare.

You see them a lot more in the fall, before people start wearing overcoats.
              At the risk of sounding like a snob, I think the Midwest is not as sophisiticated as the coasts in regard to style. I'm probably the only oddball within a good 60 miles here who owns a pair of DBs.

Comment

At the risk of sounding like a snob, I think the Midwest is not as sophisiticated as the coasts in regard to style. I'm probably the only oddball within a good 60 miles here who owns a pair of DBs.
                I used to live in Ohio, Georgia, and Texas, so I would most certainly agree with that assessment -- and add that the south isn't much better, either.

Comment

Playing pool at Pottery Barn.

shirt - Everlane
                  jeans - Gustin
                  watch - Christopher Ward
                  shoes - Ralph Lauren
                  jacket - Lands End

Comment

You're in IA, right? If you're within 60 miles of DSM, you're not alone. Actually wore a pair today as a matter of fact.
                    Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Nice Watch! [MENTION=3421]Vicious49[/MENTION]

This was casual Thursday, since the office was closed today:

and Friday Challenge cross-post:

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB View Post
                        You're in IA, right? If you're within 60 miles of DSM, you're not alone. Actually wore a pair today as a matter of fact.
                        Oh, yes, good point. DSM is a bit more cosmopolitan than the rest of the state. And actually I have seen a professor or two in Iowa City wearing them.

Comment

Originally posted by TarheelDan View Post
                          Nice Watch! [MENTION=3421]Vicious49[/MENTION]

This was casual Thursday, since the office was closed today:

and Friday Challenge cross-post:

[MENTION=11889]TarheelDan[/MENTION], looking good! You should really keep your guitar in its case, though. Helps prevent the wood from getting dried out.

Comment

[MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION]. Thank you on both counts, I shall have to get a case!

Comment

Going to a beer fest today

Shirt- jcf
                              Shorts- target
                              Shoes- forever 21

Comment

Smart casual for Easter brunch....

JCF jacket, Target shirt, Nantucket yellow silk D-ring belt (not shown), Levi's 511 jeans, Sebago boat shoes in Horween Chromexcel, Tissot Visodate (not shown).
                                Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X