This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zcm View Post
    Thanks! I did my undergrad at Carnegie Mellon and I moved back last August. I say "yinz" here as a dumb joke that I guess only a few people really get. From time to time I catch myself saying "yinz" but its not that often. I am actually from Western/Central Pennsylvania (Pennsyl-tucky). I do say pop instead of soda now though.
    I'm from an area with a weird mish-mash of Pennsyltuckyian and Philadelphian accents. Consequently, I'm a "youse" kind of guy, whereas my brother has a drawl.

Viva Pennsyltucky.

Comment

[MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION] those shoes look great, and were quite a good deal. Do you have any 5 last shoes from AE against which to compare how they fit?

I'll offer my opinion to your question, which is that I think this is just about and within the border of where one can wear black cap-toe bals without them being out of place. I also think black shoes go particularly well with those pants, and that the dark provides a nice balance against the dark jacket.

Comment

I wear a black suit once a week. In my defense, I'm half Japanese? First time trying a tie with this shirt.

Comment

I think that you're turning into me, [MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION].

Comment

Originally posted by TarheelDan View Post
            [MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION] those shoes look great, and were quite a good deal. Do you have any 5 last shoes from AE against which to compare how they fit?
            Actually have the Park Aves in Bourbon too. They are what you would expect. Ever so slightly wider and a hair longer than the Boardrooms (on the 7 last). I am still breaking them in so its hard to be certain but I think I may prefer the 5 last shoes.

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
            I think that you're turning into me, [MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION].
            Heh. Okay... I'll take that as a compliment.

Comment

Gotcha.

So if I said, "If you only own one pair if balmorals they should be black," would you agree?
              this is definitely the case

http://www.styleforum.net/t/362365/t...cap-toe-oxford

it's strange to me that when a lot of guys ask for casual shoe suggestions fitting a criteria of "versatility" that the beeswax clarks desert boot gets an easy nod but when the same guys ask for dress shoe suggestions, the obvious choice of the black cap toe bal gets negative reactions like i did in that other thread. maybe it's because it's not flamboyant or peacocky.

Comment

[MENTION=6367]fey[/MENTION], the black shoe reminds me of undertakers and insurance salesman. It's a subjective thing.

Comment

I agree with Duvel on this one. I think the difference is that beeswax DBs aren't really a common shoe for non-dappered types, but they have a lot of versatility in their wear. On the other hand, black dress shoes are worn by the non-dappered types in mass. From my experience, it is the go-to color for dress shoes for people who don't have any interest in style. Typically it comes in the form of a _beautiful_ square toe or bicycle toe shoe, but to most people they don't notice the difference between a black square toe that was $25 at DSW and a nice black captoe that was $500. As such, I feel as though dappered/SF/#menswear types seem to have generally swayed toward brown.

I wholeheartedly agree that if you're asking the "if you can only have one barmoral, you should get ______", then it should be a nice black captoe. There's no getting around needing it for funerals and other formal occasions (including wearing a tux if you don't want to rent patents (because, ew to renting shoes)). However, many people choose to forego them, as they aren't as stylish currently and want something that will both stand out, be more versatile in more casual ranges and get more day-to-day use.

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] Interesting point. I never thought of it like that before. Obviously we will each have our own thoughts on this subject, but let me play devils advocate here... based on that same logic (every guys that doesn't care owns black dress shoes) why don't we feel the same way about white or blue dress shirts? I would be willing to say they are even more ubiquitous in the typical man's wardrobe? (Or is that argument a reach? Not quite apples to apples comparison).

Comment

i don't agree with that point - just because the "masses" wear black shoes poorly shouldn't exclude you from wearing black shoes well.

Comment

"you" being the nebulous, collective version of us, i mean

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                          I think the difference is that beeswax DBs aren't really a common shoe for non-dappered types, but they have a lot of versatility in their wear.
                          I think this may be changing, albeit slowly. As chukkas/DBs have grown in popularity, I've seen more of my friends getting Clark's.

Comment

I see a lot of otherwise not-especially-style-conscious guys wearing desert boots of some variety. Sadly, often as "dress shoes." They fit the same niche for a lot of people as Merrells, Birkenstock clogs, etc.
                            Ben

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] Interesting point. I never thought of it like that before. Obviously we will each have our own thoughts on this subject, but let me play devils advocate here... based on that same logic (every guys that doesn't care owns black dress shoes) why don't we feel the same way about white or blue dress shirts? I would be willing to say they are even more ubiquitous in the typical man's wardrobe? (Or is that argument a reach? Not quite apples to apples comparison).
                              In a dappered sense, I feel like shoes are somewhere that people are more likely to 'peacock' (for lack of a better term -- I had PUA talk) in terms of style than dress shirts: i.e., people buying walnut strands before building out basics. Not to mention, it's difficult to build a base dress wardrobe without whites and/or blues being mainstays (without being the pink/green/yellow/etc. shirt guy).

Originally posted by fey View Post
                              i don't agree with that point - just because the "masses" wear black shoes poorly shouldn't exclude you from wearing black shoes well.
                              I am actually agreeing with you that black captoes SHOULD be your one balmoral, assuming you only get one; I was just trying to explain the disconnect/hate-hate-hate we see of black shoes.

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                              I think this may be changing, albeit slowly. As chukkas/DBs have grown in popularity, I've seen more of my friends getting Clark's.
                              I think that's true -- DBs have gotten very popular over the last few years, especially because so many people (and magazines, etc.) have been recommending them all the time.

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                              I see a lot of otherwise not-especially-style-conscious guys wearing desert boots of some variety. Sadly, often as "dress shoes." They fit the same niche for a lot of people as Merrells, Birkenstock clogs, etc.
                              Maybe so on use as 'dress' shoes. I don't see them being worn properly on the reg though (well, I should say this being when I visit elsewhere -- I try not to base my normal/generalizing for 'Mericuh on what I see here in NYC).

Comment

I don't see DBs much myself, in real life. Only on style blogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X