Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Acousticfoodie You're killing it with those shoes. Wow!

Comment

bruschetta - I was just gonna ask what they were.

You have a thing for top quality black balmorals!

Comment

"The front shoes are AE Strands, McAllisters, and Fifth Avenues."

Some people would call that a trifecta. Others, call it a hat trick. :-)

Comment

nicholascrawford, I'm considering branching out and trying a blucher: http://ow.ly/9r6kU

Alan, are you a soccer fan?

Comment

I've got 4 pairs sitting in front of me... First weekend of the month, time for shoe care!

Comment

bruschetta - I like those.

JC - Nice routine! It would be fun to do a Threads Google Hangout with video and just talk shoes, shoe care, leather care, talk about closet issues, etc. I'd be curious to see your shoe care routine, for example.

Comment

My shoe care routine, for calf leather:

wipe down with Lexol, let sit while I do the others

brush with horsehair brush

use dauber to apply Meltonian cream polish in a thin coat, let it sit while I do the others

brush with horsehair brush

repeat previous 2 steps

For my shell AE Cambridge:

Coat with venetian cream, let sit for a few minutes

brush down with a horsehair brush

use dauber to apply Meltonian cream polish

brush

repeat previous 2 steps

I need to get some nuetral paste wax so I can try bulling the toes of my 2 lighter pairs. I started working on a mirror shine on my cambridge, and I'm trying to decide if it would look weird on the AE Arlington kiltie tassel loafers. Both of those are burgundy, and I've got cordovan colored Kiwi.

Comment

You keep mentioning Meltonian cream...I will order that tonight. Plus some neutral polish.

Comment

Sportcoat: Thrifted

Shirt: Calibrate Slim Fit

Jeans: Levis 514

Shoes: AE Lombard (walnut)

Comment

There's a local cobbler that will make custom-colored cream polish according to the shoes you already own. I keep meaning to pick some up, but never get around to it (just like all my other tailoring, dry cleaning, and cobbler work).

Comment

jason - are you using lexol cleaner or conditioner?

Comment

Conditioner. They're not dirty and don't have wax buildup, so they don't need cleaning. If I did need to strip them I'd probably go for Saphir Reno'Mat though.

Comment

Jeff - it's a good clean look. A little hard to see the sport coat, but that's the self-portrait pitfall!

The walnut shoes do all the talking - which I like. Could try incorporating a colorful pocket square or sweater(vest) for flavor without wearing a tie.

Comment

On being thrifted...Can you guys offer a bit more detail? I can't imagine going to my local Goodwill and picking up a sports coat, but that may be because of the area I live in. Very rural.

Comment

@Mathis: It's pretty much that simple. One thing my local Goodwill has is an abundance of sportcoats. They always have very few suits, but a ton of sportcoats. I can't speak for others, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X