Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice Jake, I love that blazer and shirt combo.
    "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by Sigtweed Corduroy View Post
      Thanks! Shirt is from target and blazer is from gap

Comment

Cross-post from the Friday Challenge thread:

Jacket: J Crew Factory
        Shirt: Uniqlo
        Tie: J Crew (made in the US)
        Pocket square: The Hill Side (made in the US)
        Pants: BR
        Shoes: AE (made in the US)
        Watch: Timex
        Glasses: Shuron (made in the US)

Comment

Originally posted by Sigtweed Corduroy View Post
          Hey Jake - I too like that color combo. I'm wearing a similarly-hued plaid flannel shirt today too, but no jacket - working from home. Anyway, regarding the fit: I understand that it can be very personal business; so feel free to tell me to mind my own. But I'm curious how slightly-bigger jackets fit you.

From what I think I've gathered prior, we're similar height/weight, although I'd wager heavily that you are in much better shape than I - you appear to be, well... "buff" - and me... yeah, not so much - although I do have pretty broad shoulders and chest, compared to my waist and legs. Was it you who also mentioned working out so much lately that your upper body was getting a little *too* big for some of your gear?

Regardless, enough hemming&hawing... I like a lot of your looks, but I often wonder if your jackets might be a touch small on you. Some folks are cool with some degree of "X" - and of course it may be your stance: you're holding a camera/phone and have one hand in your pocket - so again, to each his own. I'm certainly no expert.

So yeah, just wondering what sizes you typically go with, and what you've additionally tried before. Seems like I recall recently you may have mentioned 40R fits you perfect. Right? I wear 42R in *most* OTR blazers/SCs/suits, and I'm 6'0" and 182# (at least this morning I was). Certain more-generous brands/cuts (Brooks Brothers - hmmn.. forgot which one - Fitzgerald, maybe?) fit me in a 41R. But I can barely button many 40R jackets from my more typically shopped brands like BR/JCrew/GAP/etc (unless it's some oddball miss-sized one) - and many of them I simply cannot close at all.

Comment

Suffice to say I had this whole huge response typed up to defend my stance about 40Rs and how shorter jackets are casual and everything and I'm 23 and most of
            My friends are wearing jeans and tees still, and when I have to wear a suit (3x a week) I go for a fuller cut, and then I checked the Gap blazer, it's a medium. And yeah, as bruschetta would say, childishly small. But I can't get myself to part with it, or my two uniqlo linens, which you'll be seeing soon enough. By contrast, here's the same look in a 40R

Comment

Most of my 40Rs fit me extremely well, and a 42 is almost always too big. Occasionally, dependent on the brand and cut, it'll. Be too small, but by the time I've come to terms with the poor fit, it's too late to return. Those bad purchases are few and far between lately, thanks to my continued perusing of dappered forums.

Comment

LOL on the "whole huge response typed up" thing. I'm sorry, man. The last thing I truly wanted was to make you feel like you needed to defend anything. I was just curious.

But I feel ya. When I'm not in full-on dork-around mode here, I often struggle with just saying, "Great look. Nice colors and patterns. But personally I feel the fit is a little tight for my tastes." And instead, go into some huge babble-on, just beating around the bush of that exact thought. Oh well.

I guess I just worry about sounding like *I* know - and *you* (or the person I'm commenting on) certainly do not. That is obviously not the case, and not at all how I hope any of my comments/critiques are interpreted.

Annnnnyway (/babble_OFF)... For sure, your age, occupation, and typical environment(s) all factor into the "personal taste" in fit and style. I really like your style a lot. I just differ from you a tad in fit preference. All good!

Comment

hahah the first part of the whole write up was "NO worrrriees man im not offended, and ive often thought about it myself, it's more of a cost benefit, pros and cons type of thing." You don't have to worry about it. Anyway, how was the fit on the second picture? same thing?
                  Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                  LOL on the "whole huge response typed up" thing. I'm sorry, man. The last thing I truly wanted was to make you feel like you needed to defend anything. I was just curious.

But I feel ya. When I'm not in full-on dork-around mode here, I often struggle with just saying, "Great look. Nice colors and patterns. But personally I feel the fit is a little tight for my tastes." And instead, go into some huge babble-on, just beating around the bush of that exact thought. Oh well.

I guess I just worry about sounding like *I* know - and *you* (or the person I'm commenting on) certainly do not. That is obviously not the case, and not at all how I hope any of my comments/critiques are interpreted.

Annnnnyway (/babble_OFF)... For sure, your age, occupation, and typical environment(s) all factor into the "personal taste" in fit and style. I really like your style a lot. I just differ from you a tad in fit preference. All good!

Comment

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
                    hahah the first part of the whole write up was "NO worrrriees man im not offended, and ive often thought about it myself, it's more of a cost benefit, pros and cons type of thing." You don't have to worry about it. Anyway, how was the fit on the second picture? same thing?
                    Cool, thanks. I don't see the pics any more, but the later one definitely looked like it fit better to *me*. I think mainly the "X" ...uhm... factor... drew my eyes to what I felt was a too-tight fit of the earlier one. If it was a GAP S-M-L thing, then for certain, finding your spot in those non-specific sizing gaps (ugh) can sometimes be tougher.

See I worry about my own jackets when I see the slightest beginnings of that, from pulling/etc. I probably could have most of my jackets taken in a tad (not much), but I'm still a little self-conscious about a a little bit of midsection weight I still need to lose. So there's that. Doh!

EDIT: Now I can see the pics again (weeeeiiiirrdd). So yeah, I personally prefer the 2nd/later pic, as the jacket doesn't "X" like the earlier one, and also it seems to lay flatter on your chest, so that the lapels don't curve or bow out like I'm seeing in the earlier shot. As I said earlier though, some of that may be due to differences in your stance/angle/etc. between the two. Dunno.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
                      By contrast, here's the same look in a 40R
                      ^ I like that much better.

Comment

Here's WIWT.

Shirt: JCP
                        Sweater: JCF
                        Pants: Claibourne
                        Shoes: Clark's
                        Watch: Timex w/ C&B strap

Along the lines of the TSB discussion, anyone have any thoughts or criticisms to offer? I'm still relatively new to the dressing better world (7 months ish) and would be grateful of any help. Specifically, what do you think about the brown strap and the black face? This is my first time trying it out.

Comment

I like it zcm, fit looks good all around. Can't tell from the image, its a bit small viewing on a desktop, are the pants pressed with a crease? If so I probably would have gone with a slightly less casual shoe.

Anybody know why the images linked through Tapatalk show up so small when viewing on a desktop (they don't even show up on the mobile site)? Saw the same issues with some of Jake101's images recently too.

Comment

Originally posted by dackman View Post
                            I like it zcm, fit looks good all around. Can't tell from the image, its a bit small viewing on a desktop, are the pants pressed with a crease? If so I probably would have gone with a slightly less casual shoe.

Anybody know why the images linked through Tapatalk show up so small when viewing on a desktop (they don't even show up on the mobile site)? Saw the same issues with some of Jake101's images recently too.
                            Thanks. The pants aren't creased. I agree with what you said though.

Comment

Looks good, zcm. I'm not sure I agree with dackman re the less casual shoe. I use as a reference Steve McQueen who could pull off a desert boot with creased pants. I think that because they're slim they work with the shoes.

Comment

Thanks.

Here is today's:

Shirt and Pants: BR
                                Sweater: JCF
                                Shoes: ET Wright
                                Watch: Bulova

Thoughts or criticisms? Think it's a big deal that the buckle on the shoe is gold and my watch and belt buckle (not pictured) are silver?

Comment

Working...
                                X