This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
    Pull, nice cold-weather outfit. I like the shape and fit on the suit. I suspect the pictures don't do full justice to the fabric and finish of the suit.

Sharp contrast with the shoes color, but I thinks it works well.

Full Windsor? I would like a slimmer knot.
    Agreed, nice outfit but go w/ a four-in-hand knot.

Comment

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
      Pull, nice cold-weather outfit. I like the shape and fit on the suit. I suspect the pictures don't do full justice to the fabric and finish of the suit.

Sharp contrast with the shoes color, but I thinks it works well.

Full Windsor? I would like a slimmer knot.
      Thanks for the feedback. It's called a Nicky knot. I did a Half Windsor first, but then this one. I find it difficult to get the dimple with the half windsor in a skinny tie, and I wanted a little heft with the semi-spread. I usually do go slimmer, though.

On the suit - you are exactly right. It's an outstanding suit in fabric, finish and color - I honestly can't believe it's BR, even if it is one of their upgraded collections. It's made from the same wool-cashmere that J. Crew uses, I think - Tollegno 1900.
      Here's the kicker: list price was $650, but with sales and codes, I got the whole suit for ~$110 once it made it to clearance around christmas; a testament to lessons on this site.
      Last edited by pull; January 23, 2014, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
        Agreed, nice outfit but go w/ a four-in-hand knot.
        thanks - I rarely wear ties, so it's good to get feedback - I've tied any tie I've owned the same way since high school, i.e. one style of knot. So, I was trying something different and am looking fwd to trying these others.

Comment

ninpb - love that jacket! looks good!

Comment

Lots of these WIWT pictures have sweaters in them. Why not submit to the Friday challenge?

Comment

Shoes: Allen Edmonds Strand
              Bow tie: Carrot & Gibbs
              Watch: Timex Dress Strap
              Pocket Square: Macy's
              Everything else MTM, local tailor

Comment

Shoes: AE Fifth Avenue Medallion Tip
                Jacket: Alfani Slim Fit Velvet
                Jeans: JC
                Sweater: Apt9
                Shirt: Michael Kors...i think.
                Square: Original Penguin
                Socks: no idea.
                Tie: Apt9
                ---Allen

Comment

Tried leaving the shirt untucked today, not something I normally do. What do you guys think of this look?

The sweater actually fits quite trim, must have ridden up on me when I was playing with kids when I got home.
                  Jacket: Gap Outlet
                  Sweater: JC lambswool (picked this up two weekends ago for $20)
                  Shirt: Thomas Mason for JC (hard to beat for the $15 I paid)
                  Pants: Uniqlo
                  Shoes: Clark's
                  Watch: Timex
                  Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB View Post
                    Tried leaving the shirt untucked today, not something I normally do. What do you guys think of this look?

The sweater actually fits quite trim, must have ridden up on me when I was playing with kids when I got home.
                    Jacket: Gap Outlet
                    Sweater: JC lambswool (picked this up two weekends ago for $20)
                    Shirt: Thomas Mason for JC (hard to beat for the $15 I paid)
                    Pants: Uniqlo
                    Shoes: Clark's
                    Watch: Timex
                    I like the outfit MarkB, and nice lighting improvement on your pics, much easier to see details.

I'd say if your at home with the kids, untuck, as I do as soon as I step in the door from work. Out in the world, definitely tuck it in, even on the casual outfit, just looks cleaner IMO.

Comment

dackman, that's really interesting because that's exactly what I do. I actually have tried wearing my shirt untucked under a sweater with chino "out in the world," and I immediately felt awkward and sloppy. I love wearing it that way at home, though--it feels very relaxed. But out in public I feel like it makes me come across as just another guy who likes to look like a slob (and I don't).

However, if I'm wearing jeans, I will almost invariably leave my shirt untucked. Tucked with jeans (almost aways) seems wrong.

Comment

This is why I posed the question originally. I almost exclusively tuck my shirt in, mainly because I feel that the tails of most of my shirts are too long. I've seen some people pull this look off and wanted to give it a whirl. I did feel kind of sloppy at first, but once I left the house I forgot about it. Sometimes I feel that the tucked in shirt under a crew neck sweater comes off a little stuffy, so I figured I'd try it this way.

Comment

WIWT

First wiwt:returning for the spring semester in the polar vortex

Jacket:lands end oil cloth
                          Shirt: J Crew
                          Jeans:Gap Selvage
                          Scarf:Club Monaco
                          Bag: Bonobos/Frost River

Not pictured:Sorel Caribou boots
                          Skagen watch

Comment

Oilcloth

Nice look. If anyone wants one of these oilcloth coats in medium let me know. I never wear mine.

Originally posted by buffalobills12 View Post
                            First wiwt:returning for the spring semester in the polar vortex

Jacket:lands end oil cloth
                            Shirt: J Crew
                            Jeans:Gap Selvage
                            Scarf:Club Monaco
                            Bag: Bonobos/Frost River

Not pictured:Sorel Caribou boots
                            Skagen watch

Comment

Originally posted by cjl1978 View Post
                              Nice look. If anyone wants one of these oilcloth coats in medium let me know. I never wear mine.
                              Sure, I'll take it. Good looking coat.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                                Sure, I'll take it. Good looking coat.
                                Beat me to the punch.

Comment

Working...
                                X