Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been awhile since I posted a WIWT (been trying to update some things due to the knowledge of this thread and others).

Shawl Collar Cardigan: H2H (never heard of it but something I found on Amazon so I figured why not)
    Shirt: Stafford
    Pants: BR
    Last edited by rendiw143; October 28, 2013, 12:43 PM. Reason: Fixed image link

Comment

Hey Jake (and others who may actually know if this idea is (1) possible and (2) worthwhile at all), can that jacket of yours be pressed into a 2/1 (or is it 1/2?) roll? I only ask because my current favorite SC/blazer is a 3/2 roll. It wears pretty much exactly like (if not even *better*than) my other 2-button SCs/blazers.

Now, having what would essentially be a 1-button SC/blazer, after that potential pressing, might not be something you would like or something "acceptable" in today's current men's style. Dunno. Just a thought, since you noted that you really like the jacket, just that the high button stance is buggin' ya.

Comment

For the last 2 days. Jeans in both are the Gustin 1776 that I'm breaking in. What do you guys think about the cuffs? I've already dropped 1 pair off to get them hemmed and am thinking of doing the same with these.

1st pic
        shirt - JCF
        jacket - Barbour Bedale
        shoes - Alfred Sargent

2nd pic
        shirt - F&O
        sweatshirt - Everlane
        jacket - LE
        shoes - Loake

Comment

+1 on getting them hemmed.

Comment

Great look. Personally, I'd prefer a less substantial cuff i.e. about half that width if I were cuffing pants - but that's just me. In my opinion, cuffs are fine for street style, but most my dark denim is enlisted in support of a blazer or something more formal. Seems like with an awesome shoe like the Loakes you are sporting you'd be better served with non-cuffed denim.

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
            For the last 2 days. Jeans in both are the Gustin 1776 that I'm breaking in. What do you guys think about the cuffs? I've already dropped 1 pair off to get them hemmed and am thinking of doing the same with these.

1st pic
            shirt - JCF
            jacket - Barbour Bedale
            shoes - Alfred Sargent

2nd pic
            shirt - F&O
            sweatshirt - Everlane
            jacket - LE
            shoes - Loake

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post

1st pic
              shirt - JCF
              jacket - Barbour Bedale
              shoes - Alfred Sargent

2nd pic
              shirt - F&O
              sweatshirt - Everlane
              jacket - LE
              shoes - Loake
              I like the cuffs, but the question is, can you wear them without them as well? Are they essentially too long without the cuff?

I've got multiple pairs of Gap selvedge jeans and some I can pull off cuffed or uncuffed, but my newest pair I can only wear cuffed because of the length. I don't see it as a problem since I can go to another pair if I don't want the cuffed look.

If you're already getting another pair hemmed, I say keep a pair that you can cuff, you can always hem them down the road if you lose your taste for the cuffed look.

Comment

Not only is the cuff wider than I normally like, but it looks like you are having to roll the cuff multiple times. I'd get them hemmed. If you like the cuffed look, I'd still get them hemmed so you can do a single, 1.5-2" cuff.
                Ben

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                  Hey Jake (and others who may actually know if this idea is (1) possible and (2) worthwhile at all), can that jacket of yours be pressed into a 2/1 (or is it 1/2?) roll? I only ask because my current favorite SC/blazer is a 3/2 roll. It wears pretty much exactly like (if not even *better*than) my other 2-button SCs/blazers.

Now, having what would essentially be a 1-button SC/blazer, after that potential pressing, might not be something you would like or something "acceptable" in today's current men's style. Dunno. Just a thought, since you noted that you really like the jacket, just that the high button stance is buggin' ya.
                  I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, it sounds as if you want to know if you can use the bottom button as the primary button but after pressing the jacket. I think it sounds like it might throw off the proportions of the jacket, and would render it useless. I think 3/2 keeps the proportions better

Comment

Vicious, I agree with the majority here thus far: I'd get those hemmed too.

I recall seeing the extra large cuffing in your earlier pics with some of your new(er) denim, and thought it looked a bit strange, but simply figured you were just waiting to see how much they might shrink once you finally washed them, before you decided to have them hemmed or not.

LOL on the lengthy non-wash time period with (especially) new denim - I do it too, but I don't think I could ever tell people NOT already in the know about it - Oof!

I really personally think that you have way too much fabric there with those.

I prefer non-cuffed denim, in nearly all cases. I know that with selvedge/selvage styles, it's cool to cuff them, if only to show off the fact that they are selvedge denim. Still, I like the look of denim, in most cases, uncuffed. I think it looks cleaner; and although possibly less-fashionable, more *stylish*. All personal take, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
                      I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, it sounds as if you want to know if you can use the bottom button as the primary button but after pressing the jacket. I think it sounds like it might throw off the proportions of the jacket, and would render it useless. I think 3/2 keeps the proportions better
                      LOL - Well, now you have *me* wondering just what the eff I was trying to say. LOL

I was just curious, as a possible solution for *you* and *your* jacket there, if having it pressed differently, with the intent to lengthen/lower that presently-high button stance, would work. Both functionally and fashionably. Maybe not in both cases.

I only referenced a favorite 3/2 roll jacket of mine, as it certainly was built as 3 button jacket, which would have a much higher stance, but was pressed and sold as a 2-button look.

The resulting 2-button jacket of mine works, but I do fear that a resulting 1-button look with yours would be walking the line. Just wondered if it was possible to do it with a 2-button jacket, and if it would look good at all, or simply hideous.

I'm probably still not making any sense, but hey, it's Monday.

Hopefully someone can sort out what I *think* I'm trying to say.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I'm usually a 30" inseam and these Gustin jeans come with a 34" or longer sometimes so I can't wear them uncuffed and that's about as small a cuff as I can make it without having to roll them over a 3rd time. And this is after I've washed them and they shrunk in length an inch or so. I'm not so big on cuffs either so I'll get these hemmed shortly as well.

Comment

My much-maligned thrifted top coat, tm lewin shirt, banana republic pants, orient watch, stafford boots.

Comment

Originally posted by mr. mr. View Post

My much-maligned thrifted top coat, tm lewin shirt, banana republic pants, orient watch, stafford boots.
                            Little bit of brand placement, what with the ups symbol on the top right and the diet coke?? Dappered threads is non advertising!

Comment

Costs money to look this mediocre

Comment

Cross posted from the Friday Challenge. The write up is over there.

Comment

Working...
                                X