This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BB View Post
    Looking good, guys. Fauxshow, that will be hard to beat.

Here's my daughter wearing her princess dress, and me wearing the southern man's version of a princess dress: seersucker.

JCrew seersucker jacket
    Merona shirt
    navy linen pants
    Stafford wingtips
    Looks good. I wish I could pull off a seersucker jacket here in California. A tie, pocket square and shorts (not at the same time) is as far as I dare go.

Originally posted by Sigtweed Corduroy View Post
    Outstanding my good man, outstanding. I love it.
    Thank you kind sir.

Comment

Full outfit from my earlier post.

Comment

Nice dub monks! Mercanti or Magnanni's?

Comment

Originally posted by fauxshow View Post
          Nice dub monks! Mercanti or Magnanni's?
          Haha I guess that says something. They're the neumoras from AE, recent factory seconds sale

Comment

Casual Day...
            Shirt = H&M
            Pants = J. Crew
            Shoes = Clarks

Trying a proper sleeve roll for the first time, it's an experiment.

This is my first WIWT post, so any critiquing is welcome and encouraged.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson View Post
              I'm not sure you actually completed the steps in that experiment. From what I'm seeing there in the pic, it looks like you "stopped short." (eh, bruschetta?.... eh? - if you're reading this, that is - LOL - sorry guys, Seinfeld crap again)

I'm not saying it's wrong or anything, for rolling up your sleeves like that - in fact that's the way they're rolled in seemingly every pic on J.Crew's website and in their catalog. But if you're talking about the method that Joe featured on the main page a while back, then I think you want to roll/fold that one more time, no?

Maybe it's your photo playing games with my eyes this early in the morning, but at least from what I'm seeing in the pic, it looks like you (1) flipped and (2) dragged, but you didn't finish with the (3) flip and lock in:

http://dappered.com/2010/12/how-to-r...-your-sleeves/

Regardless, the look you have here is very nice. Fit is solid, and the color scheme is classic. Looks good, brother!

Comment

Thanks Yoyo! I appreciate the feedback, and your eyes are not playing tricks on you, it's definitely a bad roll. I've never been able to get a good roll, I like to tell myself it's difficult to get a quality roll with biceps and forearms this big, but alas I'm no longer believing my own lies. I definitely need more practice. There was a lock-in (step 3), but it's not nearly high enough. I'll keep trying as long as the weather allows it.

Comment

I've never been able to get a good roll, I like to tell myself it's difficult to get a quality roll with biceps and forearms this big, but alas I'm no longer believing my own lies.
                  LOL! All good, man. I too have some shirts that don't seem to like me rolling/folding the sleeves either. Some of them comply nicely; others seem to despise the thought. Ah well. Again, the look is solid, so no worries there. And your welcome for the feedback. That's partially what this thread is about. Well, that and a little showing off once in a while. LOL

Comment

Casual Day...
                    Shirt = H&M
                    Pants = J. Crew
                    Shoes = Clarks

This is my first WIWT post, so any critiquing is welcome and encouraged.
                    The fit is very good and the colour combination is classic. Well done!
                    Check out my men's style and fitness website: www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

Thanks Yoyo! I appreciate the feedback, and your eyes are not playing tricks on you, it's definitely a bad roll. I've never been able to get a good roll, I like to tell myself it's difficult to get a quality roll with biceps and forearms this big, but alas I'm no longer believing my own lies. I definitely need more practice. There was a lock-in (step 3), but it's not nearly high enough. I'll keep trying as long as the weather allows it.
                      For what it's worth, I have tiny (okay, not tiny, but I definitely build lean muscle over bulk and so my arms are pretty small) arms and sometimes the fabric of H&M shirts just makes it hard to get a good roll... that being said, the hardest part is lining up step two correctly; if you make sure that the cuff ends where you want it to, and the sleeve is two layers, both flat against your skin (as opposed to crumpled all over the place), the lock is a whole lot easier to do.

Although honestly, a big point of the "proper roll" is to look (and be) more effortless, otherwise you could just literally roll them up from the cuff and keep folding over, so I don't worry too much about having a perfect roll. I do tend to get a lot of compliments about "having the JCrew roll" or whatnot.

Comment

Nice looks, gentlemen. Jake, killing it. I liked your polka dot tie, so I pulled one of mine out today.

TH suit
                        Calibrate shirt
                        JCrew tie
                        Thrifted (patent leather, boo) wingtips

Comment

You know, I'm not sure these are patent leather. They're definitely a bit shiny and a bit slick, but they're not as glossy as I think patent leather is. Maybe these are just corrected grain? It says "genuine leather" on the tongue.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
                            You know, I'm not sure these are patent leather. They're definitely a bit shiny and a bit slick, but they're not as glossy as I think patent leather is. Maybe these are just corrected grain? It says "genuine leather" on the tongue.
                            Maybe they're a rare early prototype of the new JCP Stafford "Kent."

Kidding. They look pretty darn nice in that ensemble, BB.

Comment

Thanks Robbo. You know, they might be just that. I can't figure them out. It's possible that someone else couldn't figure them out too, which is how they ended up at Goodwill.

Comment

Question for a shoe expert:

Sometimes I get obsessed about a question and can't focus on something else until I answer it, and figuring out where these shoes came from became my obsession... this shoe is a Johnston and Murphy (I can see that on the sole) and it has a distinctive brogue pattern (there's an extra looping thing in there), and I found it after some googling-- it's this: http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...hoes&pid=38370

So, these are apparently "lustrous hand-polished uppers" made of calf skin. Does any shoe expert out there know what to do with this stuff? Polish as normal? It's a bit plastic-like. Will that go away over time? Or with some sort of special polish?

Comment

Working...
                                X