This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
    On a different note, what do u guys say about bowties? I was messing around today, and I kinda like it.
    I like bowties, but they feel a little off to me with blazers/suit jackets (they're meant for tux jackets, or I could see use with waistcoats or sweaters). They also show the buttons on your shirt, which I'm not digging (they pair much better with covered plackets, at least), and while everybody respects a guy in a self tie, the tie looks a bit off; it's much bulkier than a bowtie ought to be imo. I think you might want to be more careful about lining up the front and back layers and definitely see whether you can tie it any tighter; the middle seems larger than it should be.

All in all though, bowtie nitpicks aside, I dig the outfit, especially the shoes and PS.

@sierra... I have those chinos, dammit. That's the second pair I've seen online today that weren't mine ( http://tsbmen.com/31346/1-piece3-ways-adrian/2/ ). Figures. They also look much better on you than they do on me... or maybe I'm just really self conscious about my leg openings (anything over 15" bothers me on myself, but other people can wear 17" and I see no problem).

Comment

@Jake- I liked the suit better with tie, very cool getup all way.
      I have no clue about bow ties, I think Shomas is correct, white shirt would make it pop nicely.
      Maybe navy suit, white shirt, and red bow tie to make it pop even more?

Comment

Yeah guys feedback! Ha I was just messing, I guess I read somewhere that the "sprezzy" look is in, so I wasn't too concerned with the evenness. I took it right off afterwards anyway... On the other hand, the buttons don't bother me too much, I don't mind them showing like that.

Comment

Well I know I havent posted in WIWT in forever just been too busy to really take the photo time :/
          First off I wear a bow 2-3 days a week ussually, bow's are amazing and NOT just meant for tux's as they were the original tie if were really going to go that far back...
          I do think that bow looks a little large though and the knot could be tightened up but I wouldnt worry about trying to make it "perfect" you never will and they can look good a little off. not the best quality bust just took a webcam shot of todays bow for me its a "seafoam" seersucker from high cotton (great bows) and yes I know the shirt looks wrinkly awkward sitting down photo http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6e549292.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by s_crane View Post
            Well I know I havent posted in WIWT in forever just been too busy to really take the photo time :/
            First off I wear a bow 2-3 days a week ussually, bow's are amazing and NOT just meant for tux's as they were the original tie if were really going to go that far back...
            I do think that bow looks a little large though and the knot could be tightened up but I wouldnt worry about trying to make it "perfect" you never will and they can look good a little off. not the best quality bust just took a webcam shot of todays bow for me its a "seafoam" seersucker from high cotton (great bows) and yes I know the shirt looks wrinkly awkward sitting down photo http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6e549292.jpg
            Thanks man! Anyway, that knot was my first time ever attempting to tie a bowtie.
            My coworker showed me the steps once, and that was the result. So I'm only gonna get better.

Comment

oh trust me the whole push through the back thing takes time to get used to. This is a good slow detailed video I just found and he goes over making the bows even and at a slow enough pace to follow along http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoUre0ugkmI

and welcome to the bow tie club I always find it funny if I see someone else in a bow we always exchange awkward glances and head nods

Comment

WIWT (outside). Hot and humid, and that means I will continue to wear shorts as soon as I come home from work. Linen shorts from JC are one of my favorites.

T-Shirt: Merona by Target
                Shorts: JCrew

Please disregard my ugly swollen ankle, I turned my ankle 2 weeks ago playing b-ball, still slowly healing up...

Comment

My phone has been acting up recently but here's a couple fits from yesterday and Monday:

Yesterday (Went all blue)

Shirt: Nordstrom Trim Fit
                  Tie: Tommy Hilfiger
                  Pants: Bonobos Chinos
                  Shoes: Mercantis from DSW

Monday

Shirt: BR Slim Stretch
                  Tie: Tommy Hilfiger
                  Pants: JCrew Thompson Suit pants
                  Shoes: AE Park Aves (probably should have gone with brown shoes but ah well)

Comment

^ I really like the "all blue" outfit. How comfortable are those Mercantis?

Comment

Pitt_10, Looking good in both outfits.

sierra.alpha, ditto. Looking sharp.

Comment

This might wind up being my entry in the Friday khaki challenge (though I will probably take some better pics if it does).

BR jacket, GAP shirt, Stafford tie, Alpha khakis, Florsheim shoes.

I've been longing for cool weather recently so I busted out the tweed for the first time in months. Though it is more aspirational than anything, as the temps are still rather warm here during the day (high of 84┬░F forecasted with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms). But I'm in an air-conditioned office for 90% of my day so the actual weather is fairly irrelevant.
                        Last edited by LesserBlackDog; August 28, 2013, 01:19 PM.
                        Ben

Comment

@sierra, both of my ankles look like that every minute of every day. I'm taking that is not a good thing then, eh? Anyway, the shoes there seem maybe a touch too non-casual for shorts/sockless, for *me*, *personally*. That being said *you* look to be pulling it off just fine, so why not, right? Regardless, nice simple casual outfit.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                            @sierra, both of my ankles look like that every minute of every day. I'm taking that is not a good thing then, eh?
                            Nah, it's fine. Just means you're pregnant.

Comment

Been a little while for WIWT pics from me. Seems like I get one shot per week to take some pics and upload them, and those have mainly been from the Weekly Challenges. Annnnyway, here's one I (kinda) had time to shoot. The main view pic I had to take at work, as the natural lighting was too weak for me at home this morning; and as it turns out, the indoor bathroom sink lighting at work wasn't really much better. Alas, here's sorta-dimly WIWT:

Shirt: GAP
                              Belt: GAP
                              Jeans: J.Crew
                              Socks: Pantherella
                              Shoes: Florsheim
                              Watch: Rotary
                              Scent: D&G

Oh yeah, also trying out my new Wurkin' Stiffs for the first time. Pretty cool, as they are holding the *wings* down nice and tight. Maybe a little too close to the collar? Maybe I should move them out a touch onto the actual shirt? What do you guys think? Regardless, the only issue I'm having with them is the shirt itself is pretty thin and thus fairly *weak*. The metal stays and the magnets keep pulling the one side (the underneath side, if that makes sense) down a bit with their weight. It's creating possibly a little too much of "showing" for the workplace. Thing is, I don't like buttoning the next button up either. Maybe I should just iron the collar down and skip the Stiff with this thin/weak of a shirt? Hmmmn... Hmmn... Any thoughts? Thanks.
                              Last edited by yoyorobbo; August 28, 2013, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                                Nah, it's fine. Just means you're pregnant.
                                Oh boy, I'm gonna have some es'plaining to do when my wife finds out. Err... yeah. Or just right now, I guess.

As an aside, I'm just now noticing that my WIWT image from earlier is showing up blank in the post now. Weeeeeeeeeiiiiiiirrrrrrrrd. I know I described the main-view photo as dimly-lit, but that's getting carried away. Wonder why it's not linking correctly anymore. Silly ImageShack.

Sooo, let's try this again with an additional unique separate upload/link of the same pic:

Shirt: GAP
                                Belt: GAP
                                Jeans: J.Crew
                                Socks: Pantherella
                                Shoes: Florsheim
                                Watch: Rotary
                                Scent: D&G

Hopefully the other one doesn't pop back up here and dupification thus abounds. If so, muh' bad.
                                Last edited by yoyorobbo; August 28, 2013, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X