Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@bjmcgeever + yoyo: killer looks! Really wish that BR had the birdseye in my size during their 50% off F&F sale. I tried on the cotton herringbone Teej but I really hated how stiff it was on me - didn't drape well.
    @Teej: not a big fan of that polo tucked in on you, you definitely need a longer placket. As it stands it gives you a really large square plain area on the abdomen that doesn't do you any favors IMO.
    @Vicious: I'd taper the pants a bit in your casual look.

Comment

@losrockets: thanks for the opinion. I wasn't 100% sure on it, but I'd thought I'd give it a try. I used to not like the longer plackets but I've started to come around. I really want some of those michael bastian and uniqlo ones.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
        @bjmcgeever + yoyo: killer looks! Really wish that BR had the birdseye in my size during their 50% off F&F sale. I tried on the cotton herringbone Teej but I really hated how stiff it was on me - didn't drape well.
        Thanks Los! There is definitely a difference between the BR birdseye and their grey herringbone (along with the taupe whatever in the same cut). I have all three, but I grab that birdseye one way more often than the other two combined. I'm sure the "blueness" of it has something to do with that (I like blue, daggnabit), but the feel and fit are both softer, it does drape better, and I think I prefer the 3/2 (or 2/3?) roll dealio with the buttons and the stance. It just fits and feels better on me all the way around. Ah well. Maybe they'll have it in stock for you next time. I HIGHLY recommend it!

Comment

Originally posted by dackman View Post
          Alright, my first WIWT post, mainly because any chances to take pics at home or work have the worst lighting imaginable. In Nashville for a trade show and had some decent light in the hotel.

Blazer: BR
          Shirt: Stafford
          Pants: JC
          Shoes: Mercanti Fiorentini Cap Toe
          PS: Homemade from my wife
          Love the look. The blazer fits great too. How much tailoring did you need on it?
          Check out my style and fitness website at: http://www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

@yoyo: I have 3 of those BR linen-cotton shirts and really like them. For me they hit a sweet spot of breathability and formality: they breathe better than my regular button ups but they're more formal looking than my 100% linen ones. In fact, since purchasing my first of these, I've entirely stopped wearing 100% linen button ups: on occasions when breathability is important enough to me such that I'd rather wear 100% linen than a linen-cotton blend, I find I've never *had* to have the formality of a long sleeve button up. I do still sweat in those BR shirts but I sweat no matter what I wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli Dion View Post
              Love the look. The blazer fits great too. How much tailoring did you need on it?
              Nada, no tailoring needed on this BR jacket, fit perfect OTR. But I did get the Birdaeye blazer earlier this year and have noticed that its a bit roomier in the chest, and the sleeves new shortened. So not all BR Tailored Fit blazers fit the same. And I think the gray herringbone blazer is a little more chopped than the Birdseye, just my opinion, but it definitely seems a bit shorter.

Comment

Trying out another new tie from the Knottery; I really like the texture/weave on this one.

Jacket: JFC
                Shirt: Nordstrom
                Tie: Knottery
                Pants: BR
                Shoes: AE Randolph

Comment

Cross-posted from the Friday Challenge thread (which you should all join!)

Pinstripe suit. Navy pencil striped shirt. Navy tie with white diagonal stripes. Silver onyx tie bar. Silk knots. Orient watch. Black Allen Edmonds McAllisters. Navy Brooks Brothers wool socks. (I actually own striped socks, but in this case I felt that less was more.)

With the jacket held open to show that the shirt is, in fact, striped!

Orient watch.

Allen Edmonds McAllisters.

Comment

BJ - I got that same tie except in the dark red color.

It's hot out here so nothing fancy from me.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                      Trying out another new tie from the Knottery; I really like the texture/weave on this one.

Jacket: JFC
                      Shirt: Nordstrom
                      Tie: Knottery
                      Pants: BR
                      Shoes: AE Randolph
                      Have you ever purchased any ties from The Tie Bar? If so, how do they compare in terms of quality with The Knottery?

I've got a couple of silk knits from The Tie Bar and was quite disappointed with their construction.
                      Check out my men's style and fitness website: www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by Manny De La Cruz View Post
                        Have you ever purchased any ties from The Tie Bar? If so, how do they compare in terms of quality with The Knottery?

I've got a couple of silk knits from The Tie Bar and was quite disappointed with their construction.
                        FWIW, I've heard from people who normally like the Tie Bar that their silk knits and grenafaux styles are not up to par with their standard ties. But I don't have any first-hand experience with either Tie Bar or the Knottery so I can't really say for certain.

Cross-posting this from the Friday Challenge thread since I am a shameless affirmation whore:

INC jacket (Macy's), Old Navy shirt, Target tie and pocket square, JCP cords, Nantucket belt (Sierra Trading Post), Orient watch, Florsheim longwings (not shown).
                        Ben

Comment

I like that tie and shirt combo, Ben. Did you purposely chose to striped patterns that were of different sizes? That's a textbook move on how to match similar/same patterns (i.e. vary the size). Nicely done!
                          Check out my men's style and fitness website: www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

I've got silk knits from both the Knottery and Tie Bar. The former's knits definitely feel more substantial and textured, which makes them look better in an outfit, IMO. TTB's knits feel a bit smoother and more lightweight, making them seem a bit more casual to me. For instance, I've got a skinny (2", I think) knit from TTB that I'll wear sans-jacket, but I wouldn't wear any of my Knottery knits w/o a jacket.

I've also got a silk twill from TTB and I really don't like the way it ties a knot. The pattern/color is good (navy with pink stripes), so I wear it often, but it ties an awful knot. It's too...stiff maybe?

All in all, the Knottery's ties are a certain step or two above TTB's in quality, though they're double the price at full retail.

Comment

I like that tie and shirt combo, Ben. Did you purposely chose to striped patterns that were of different sizes? That's a textbook move on how to match similar/same patterns (i.e. vary the size). Nicely done!
                              Thanks for the comment. You're right, I did make use of differently-scaled stripes to keep the outfit more complementary and less clashy. I also kept the palette muted and monochromatic to tone things down. The result is still a less conservative outfit than I would normally wear, but I figured the point of the Friday Challenge was to push my own boundaries. It's not the best outfit I've ever worn but I'm surprised and satisfied with how not-horrible it came out.
                              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                                FWIW, I've heard from people who normally like the Tie Bar that their silk knits and grenafaux styles are not up to par with their standard ties. But I don't have any first-hand experience with either Tie Bar or the Knottery so I can't really say for certain.

Cross-posting this from the Friday Challenge thread since I am a shameless affirmation whore:

INC jacket (Macy's), Old Navy shirt, Target tie and pocket square, JCP cords, Nantucket belt (Sierra Trading Post), Orient watch, Florsheim longwings (not shown).
                                #stripesonstripesonstripes
                                "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
                                X