Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJ, very nice gingham/polka combination -- the monochrome color palate helps tone down the patterns, I think.

Vicious, solid casual look. Seems comfortable.

Dackman, I like the colors -- red, grey and blue work really well together. What is the material on that jacket? It seems textured, which I like, but is it heavy?

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post

Dackman, I like the colors -- red, grey and blue work really well together. What is the material on that jacket? It seems textured, which I like, but is it heavy?
      Thanks BB. It's the cotton herringbone blazer, a recent pickup from BR's sales code snafu a couple of weeks ago. Luckily I'm inside for my trade show, otherwise the Tennessee climate would be way too humid for any jacket.

Comment

@Vicious - Ha, it's actually black gingham. Is navy + black a faux pas? Either way, I like the way it looks.

@BB - Thanks. That's exactly what I was going for.

@dackman - Solid. Is the square floral? Dotted? Wouldn't have been my first choice, but homemade by the wife is pretty sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
          @dackman - Solid. Is the square floral? Dotted? Wouldn't have been my first choice, but homemade by the wife is pretty sweet.
          Thanks BJM. It's floral, I just have a couple squares, both homemade. The only one I could get to stand out from the jacket and match the shirt. I've got a couple more on the production line though.

Comment

- BJ: That Birdseye blazer looks fantastic. I'd have to say it's one of my favorite current wardrobe items, and one of my most satisfying purchases in quite some time. Your whole deal there looks great, IMO. Well done. And no, I don't think you've broken any rule there with the black&navy. I often wear a black silk knit tie with my navy suit (and white dress shirt). I've seen it done that way numerous times in online pics and in style magazines, to great effect. I think it works well there in your pic too, even with the gingham factor.

- dackman: I too have that blazer, and like it very much,. How about those DSW cap-toes? Are they pretty nice? They look good from here.

- Vicious: Certainly looking comfortable there, and very well put-together, per usual. Solid.

OK, for me, I'm cross-posting this one from the recent "second hand goods" challenge post. Figured I've been a slacker here in WIWT, so may as well take advantage of the pic/deets from the challenge entry. I'll post today's getup shortly, to try to get back in the groove.

This is WIWTPT (This Past Thursday):

Blazer: BR
            Shirt: Chaps-RL (thrifted)
            Pocket square: Original Penguin
            Belt: BR (thrifted)
            Pants: BR
            Socks: BRF
            Shoes: Alden (thrifted)
            Watch: Orient
            Scent: "vintage" Old Spice (thrifted)

Comment

@Vicious - Ha, it's actually black gingham. Is navy + black a faux pas? Either way, I like the way it looks.
              No, but sometimes black shirt + brown shoes is seen as a real problem. I think most people overstate that issue -- I agree that one should not wear black pants and brown shoes, but a black tie with a khaki suit and brown shoes is a winner in my mind (and in Joe's, as he does it regularly on the main site). I don't wear black often, but my rule is this: lighter shades of brown work better with black.

Comment

Originally posted by dackman View Post
                Alright, my first WIWT post, mainly because any chances to take pics at home or work have the worst lighting imaginable. In Nashville for a trade show and had some decent light in the hotel.

Blazer: BR
                Shirt: Stafford
                Pants: JC
                Shoes: Mercanti Fiorentini Cap Toe
                PS: Homemade from my wife
                I really I am getting into the red gingham and tan jacket look myself, it is casual enough to be disarming and looks great too (plus the missus loves it).

Comment

@yoyo - Thanks dude. The birdseye blazer is so great - one of my favorites too. Also, solid getup.

@BB - Gotcha. I wouldn't wear the black gingham shirt with brown shoes without that navy blazer.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post

BR Cotton/Linen Shirt
                    BR Cotton/Linen pants (ebay)
                    RL Innswood loafers
                    Kenneth Cole bag
                    I must have missed this one. This is a good casual look. Then again, I'm biased to the blue shirt/white pants combo . . .

Comment

And now for a more current snapshot... meaning "today."

*Rant*: These BR linen/cotton blend BDs just aren't breathing as much as I had hoped they would. Are you fellas having any similar experiences with them, or are they working out more nicely for you? I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for an alternate solution. I'm still kinda sweating like... well, like a *sweathog*! "Oo, oo... Mr. Kotttttah!"

Shirt: BR
                      Belt: BR (thrifted)
                      Pants: BR
                      Socks: Gold Toe Auro
                      Shoes: AE
                      Watch: Seiko
                      Scent: D&G
                      Shades: BR

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                        - dackman: I too have that blazer, and like it very much,. How about those DSW cap-toes? Are they pretty nice? They look good from here.
                        I've had them for a couple of months and am quite pleased. Probably one of the most comfortable leather sole shoes I've owned. Got a great price for them as well with DSW rewards points and another discount provided by their customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                          And now for a more current snapshot... meaning "today."

*Rant*: These BR linen/cotton blend BDs just aren't breathing as much as I had hoped they would. Are you fellas having any similar experiences with them, or are they working out more nicely for you? I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for an alternate solution. I'm still kinda sweating like... well, like a *sweathog*! "Oo, oo... Mr. Kotttttah!"
                          Love the all blue outfit, man. Well done. I've had similar experiences with the BR linen/cotton shirts. They look and feel summery, but they're not that airy. Also, sweet shoes. Are those Cliftons? What color leather is that?

Comment

Originally posted by dackman View Post
                            I've had them for a couple of months and am quite pleased. Probably one of the most comfortable leather sole shoes I've owned. Got a great price for them as well with DSW rewards points and another discount provided by their customer service.
                            Coolness. Thanks for the personal take. I have two pair of DSW's MFs: one thrifted pair of tan dress loafers and a pair of their cognac driving mocs. I like them both, but have had my eye on a pair of cognac/brown wingtips - very similar to the beloved Stafford Ashton, but presumably better contruction/materials, made in Italy and and leather soled. They are something like $150-160 at DSW, without any coupons, rewards, etc. They look like GREAT upgrades from the Staffords, if that is something desired.

Love the all blue outfit, man. Well done. I've had similar experiences with the BR linen/cotton shirts. They look and feel summery, but they're not that airy. Also, sweet shoes. Are those Cliftons? What color leather is that?
                            Thanks, man. I probably do blue-blue-blue more than I should, but hey... I like blue!

The shoes are "brown" Madison Avenues - basically a medium brown (almost a bourbon - in fact they may have been labeled as such, but the box simply said "brown"), not the dark (& burnished) brown of say the most-popular color-option of the Kenilworth, etc. They are VERY close to the Clifton - in fact I nearly snagged a pair of walnut Cliftons not too long ago, but those are the 8-last which doesn't fit me quite as nicely as these 2-last Mad Aves do. Most of the Madison Aves I'd seen online were a darker brown shade (also black) of the rubber or combi-tap soled version, but these are full leather sole, and a little lighter in hue. I like finding a *slightly* different option than the norm, when possible. These fit that bill for me. Thanks for the feedback/comment!
                            Last edited by yoyorobbo; July 15, 2013, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TodCreasey View Post
                              I really I am getting into the red gingham and tan jacket look myself, it is casual enough to be disarming and looks great too (plus the missus loves it).
                              This jacket's gray, but a khaki one with this color combo would work equally as well I think. I've been eyeing a couple khaki blazers as of late to add to the rotation.

Comment

I tried the tucked in polo with slacks look for the first time today. Don't think it's too bad a look for summer. I really want to get some polos with deeper plackets to try too.

Polo - JCP pique
                                pants - h&M linen in gray
                                Shoes - bruno magli penny loafers
                                watch - seiiko 5 with blue face

Comment

Working...
                                X