This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BB View Post
    I didn't know panama hats were a southern thing... And aren't you supposed to be fawning over Andy Murray right now?

(By the way, I'm entirely aware that this looks bad, so let me have it! The question is: does it look so bad that I should return it and get something else?)
    BB, I'm sorry, but like Vicious49 I have never been able to successfully integrate a hat into an outfit. Your hat doesn't necessarily look bad; it looks like you're wearing a costume. The inauthentic style is what makes the hat stand out in a negative way.

Vicious49, the shoes work just fine with those pants. Have you ever seen Ted Allen on the Food Network? He wears Jack Purcells and Chuck Taylors with suits and makes it work. They're versatile shoes.

Comment

I think you should wear the brim tilted lower in front.

I don't think the hat looks inauthentic. I think the problem is that hats are just not worn very often nowadays. If you made your pic black and white and put a bunch of grain on it, we'd probably think it looks authentic.

Comment

Headed to see Man of Steel with my wife tonight. Giving these BR selvedge jeans their first test drive.

Shirt: BR linen/cotton
        Pants: BR selvedge
        Shoes: AE Amok

Comment

This is me beating the heat and sun today-or at least trying:

Shirt: Kent Wang
          Pants: J Crew Factory
          Shoes: Sperry
          Hat: Goorin Bros.
          Shades: Warby Parker

Comment

BB, I think the larger brim suits your head shape. It probably feels awkward because you're not accustomed to it, but I think you've got a winner.

Comment

If I can walk out the door in THIS, then you can certainly wear the panama.

This is me and my wife a few weeks ago at the Mesquite, TX rodeo. I hadn't worn the hat in literally around 10 years, but when in Rome...

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                BB, I'm sorry, but like Vicious49 I have never been able to successfully integrate a hat into an outfit. Your hat doesn't necessarily look bad; it looks like you're wearing a costume. The inauthentic style is what makes the hat stand out in a negative way.
                I agree that it looks odd, but I think this might be the best odd I can get. I'm not planning on wearing this outside of my trip for work this summer to a place where it's advisable to wear a hat. I was thinking that I might find something that I could use now and again, but that's probably not going to happen.

Thanks Manny, Morgan and Alan for the advice. I think I'm keeping this one. I'll play around with the angle. Maybe it will stick. Or maybe I will just become the character that bruschetta began writing dialogue for...

Comment

Shomas, I actually think you look pretty good in that hat. Maybe it's the sunglasses that make it look less costumey than anything I've tried on.

BJ, I like it, but are the jeans rolled? Maybe unrolling them would look better.

Alan, you live in Texas? Either way, it takes balls to wear a cowboy hat. Either that or a pair of trucknutz, right? Nice gingham shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
                    Alan, you live in Texas? Either way, it takes balls to wear a cowboy hat. Either that or a pair of trucknutz, right? Nice gingham shirt.
                    Yessir, I'm near Dallas. Like I said, I hadn't worn the hat in about a decade. Its generally not my style. But the occasion was appropriate so I decided to go all in. I was self conscious for about 5 minutes and then I basically forgot about it. I suspect the same would go for you.

Thanks on the shirt. It's JCP if you can believe it. It's one of my favorite casual buttoned shirts.
                    Last edited by alan; July 7, 2013, 11:00 PM.

Comment

BJ: What did you think of the movie? My wife and I saw it tonight, too.

Comment

@BB - they were rolled. I've never rolled any other jeans, but I thought I'd give it a shot with these. I'm still on the fence as to whether I liked it or not.

@Alan - I really enjoyed it. Casting was good, enjoyed all the back-story and the action was solid. It felt a lot like Batman Begins, unsurprisingly.

Comment

LOL Leave it to the Texan (BJ) to comment on the movie, but not utter a peep about the hat. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                            BB, I think the larger brim suits your head shape. It probably feels awkward because you're not accustomed to it, but I think you've got a winner.
                            I agree with this. You can play around with the angle on your head and the brim configuration to see what suits you best and makes you the most comfortable, though.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                              LOL Leave it to the Texan (BJ) to comment on the movie, but not utter a peep about the hat. :-)
                              Hahaha fair point, sir. I've never been much of a hat person myself so I figured comments were best left to those with the "trucknutz" to wear them

Comment

@all with hats: all look good, especially Alan and Shomas
                                @bjmcg: pants look a touch too slim to me or maybe you're just wearing them at your natural waist, but something seems off

Comment

Working...
                                X