This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alan View Post
    Everyone will have their own opinions of Style Forum, but I recently saw something on there that I thought was pretty neat. It was basically like a WIWT contest. It's held every Friday and the winner chooses the theme for the next week's contest. FWIW, everyone involved was very cordial - not at all what you might expect from SF. It sounded like a fun idea, and perhaps something we could give a shot here. It worked something like this:

Monday -> contest theme is announced
    Monday through Thursday -> people discuss the theme. guidelines are solidified (what will and won't be allowed, etc.)
    Friday -> anyone wanting to participate posts their WIWT pic in accordance with the week's guidelines
    Saturday and Sunday -> a poll is built for anyone that participated on Friday and open polling begins
    Sunday -> winner is announced
    Monday -> the winner chooses the next theme and sets the guidelines

As you might expect, a lot of their contests revolve around suit ensembles, but there's no reason it can't be anything else. The winner sets the theme and the theme can be anything. Of course everyone is trying to win, but it's not necessarily about declaring best dresser. Instead, it forced people to think outside their typical box and look at their wardrobe in new ways in order to submit an entry. Since the theme always changes, there are plenty of opportunities top try different things and participation is purely voluntary.

If you don't have at least about 10 people participating, it may not be very fun. But there's really no harm in trying. Just a thought.
    Alan, are you suggesting that forum members play a game of dress up with each other over the internet?

I'm in if the contest theme isn't too ridiculous.

Comment

We should do a separate thread for it, but I am definitely in if this takes off! Sounds like fun!

Comment

@Alan--I'd be willing to get in on this, but I'm not sure how often I'll be able to contribute. I'm a student and it's summer, so it's not like I'm gonna throw on a suit, post a WIWT, and take the suit off. I'll keep an eye on the theme and if its feasible, I'll be in.
        Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Sounds like a reason to me to start posting more! I'm in

Comment

I'd be game to try... I nominate Alan as the first theme chooser since it was his idea.
            Ben

Comment

So long as the theme isnt elevator shots, I agree. We cant give Alan home court advantage! :P

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                I'd be game to try... I nominate Alan as the first theme chooser since it was his idea.
                This

Comment

LOL No elevator shot theme? Damn... Actually, I have a great idea to kick it off - one that fits in well with Dappered ideals and should allow for broad participation. I'll start a new thread for it tonight. Since its the first one, we'll give it two extra days to let people think it through. It'll be easy to participate, though.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB View Post
                    @Alan--I'd be willing to get in on this, but I'm not sure how often I'll be able to contribute. I'm a student and it's summer, so it's not like I'm gonna throw on a suit, post a WIWT, and take the suit off. I'll keep an eye on the theme and if its feasible, I'll be in.
                    No worries. The theme will always be what the previous winner makes it. It could be anything. And the first one is totally fair game for anyone, no matter what their wardrobe looks like or what their personal style is. :-)

Comment

From yesterday, my 4th of July outfit.

Shirt and Pants - BR

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                        Originally posted by MarkB View Post
                        This
                        +1

LOL No elevator shot theme? Damn... Actually, I have a great idea to kick it off - one that fits in well with Dappered ideals and should allow for broad participation. I'll start a new thread for it tonight. Since its the first one, we'll give it two extra days to let people think it through. It'll be easy to participate, though.
                        Theme ideas:

Business in the front, party in the back.
                        #menswear
                        Joe Dappered Lookalike Contest (complete with headless photo).
                        CBD with one item that's glaringly out of place.
                        Cocktail Attire (in Beth's Ask a Woman couch pose).
                        Spinal Tap's Packing-a-Cucumber with Skinny Pants
                        Style Over 25 (for our still-young posters).
                        Last edited by bruschetta; July 5, 2013, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Nice - may have to get a blue and white 22mm nato for my mako...
                          Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                          From yesterday, my 4th of July outfit.

Shirt and Pants - BR

Comment

The first Friday Challenge is now live!

http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...ift-eBay-etc-)

Comment

The first Friday Challenge is now live!

http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...ift-eBay-etc-)
                              Lol, that was my first thought.

Comment

Rainy day... Like every day the past few weeks... What to do with toddlers that have been shut up for so long?

Comment

Working...
                                X