This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
    Elbow area is the operative idea. Above or slightly below is good, depending on the look you want. Anything toward halfway down the forearm though is not good.
    I agree -- above is sometimes a bit aggressive, depending on what you're working with.

On a personal embarrassment note, I clicked on the link and didn't read the title/intro first... as I scrolled down, I was like "why on EARTH would you want to look like the "below" guys?! Esquire is terribly wrong on this one"... yeah I checked out this week already. Happy 4th!

Comment

Been a while. Job relegates me to tshirt and shorts...

Also have a blazer for short sahleeve hathas

Last edited by Jake101; July 2, 2013, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
        So many leather bound boooks -- how big of a deal are you?

Also related to your picture:

1001.... 1002!!

(See note about me checking out already)
        Last edited by hornsup84; July 2, 2013, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks, fellas (Mikey, Vicious, BB), for the compliments. I've been trying to dial-in better "fit" recently, so I really do appreciate the comments. A year ago I would never have bought a pair of alpha khakis (hell, they really looked pretty bad on me then, but still, I wore a more relaxed fit in general then). I've lost a little weight, so I feel more comfortable in a slimmer fit. Comfort and confidence are key, IMO. Otherwise it'll never really jive.

Anyway, regarding the polo; it's a special version of Original Penguin's "heritage slim fit." I have a few other ones in that line/fit, but this one (and one other exactly like this one but in an off-white hue) are the .... Hmnnnn... Can't recall the cat's name of which they're named. IIRC, he was their main salesman or something back in tha day. I'll check the laundry later and get back here with the deets. Sorry, but I'm sittin' poolside, enjoying a nice tall Broker's and soda. Ahhh..... (Not boasting, just on vacation this week and trying to enjoy some simple downtime, ya'know?)

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post

Also related to your picture:

1001.... 1002!!

(See note about me checking out already)
            Hahahaha I got a kick outta this. Also I reserve the right to NOT answer about the books

Comment

I bet your apartment smells of rich mahogany...
              "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

"Casual Wednesday" They let us dress down sometimes before a holiday. These are quite literally the most comfortable clothes I own - even more comfortable than my pajamas and house slippers.

Shirt: LEC pop-over
                Pants: Banana Repulic herringbone chinos
                Shoes: Sperry Gold Cup boat shoes
                Sunglasses: Persols
                Last edited by alan; July 3, 2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                  A+ :-)

Comment

Ok, so my hat came in -- what do you all think? I think I look more douchey than Megadork in this one, which is ok (http://putthison.com/post/365446401/hatsdouchesanddorks), but I might return it anyway because I think I look pretty weird in it. But that might just be me. Any critiques? Look too small? It feels a bit snug, but not restrictive. Also, how does one shape a brim?

Comment

Honestly? It hard for me to judge the hat with that goofy glasses pic over your face. :-)

Regarding the brim, some hats will have a wire embedded in the rim. Others will be floppy. If it has a wire rim, just shape it. If it's floppy , you can try steaming.

Comment

I'd pass on the hat. Most people don't look great in hats in my opinion though.

Comment

I agree with your assessment -- the issue is that I'm traveling to a place where I should often be wearing a hat when outdoors. Knowing that, would you think this is as good as it gets? Or should I get something else instead?

And Alan, sorry about the glasses, but... I'm not going there yet.

Comment

BB - It's hard to tell with the goofy face about how that hat looks on you. The hat I posted a few days ago doesn't have a wire in it, but the brim is naturally shaped that way so I didn't have to do anything. I agree with you about the douchey factor of it. Despite several people saying it looks good, I still feel like a douche when wearing it. I think it's just the stigma that some hats carry nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
                              I agree with your assessment -- the issue is that I'm traveling to a place where I should often be wearing a hat when outdoors. Knowing that, would you think this is as good as it gets? Or should I get something else instead?

And Alan, sorry about the glasses, but... I'm not going there yet.
                              If you're going somewhere that requires a hat, I don't think that should be the one. I have fair skin myself (and was born/lived in Florida until 3 weeks ago) and the brim is too small to actually be effective IMO. Maybe a Panama hat (I think that's what they're called), which has a brim that will actually keep the sun off of your face/ears/neck.
                              Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Navy jacket, khaki pants, just as yesterday. All blue up top, too. Finally decided on the loafers and went with the snuff suede.

Jacket: Brooks Brothers
                                Shirt: CT
                                Tie: JCF
                                Square: The Tie Bar
                                Pants: BR (100% linen, first time wearing them and I really like 'em)
                                Shoes: AE/RL Singleton

Comment

Working...
                                X