Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am perfectly happy to receive feedback and constructive criticism. However, I am also happy to defend my choices when I feel the feedback is wrong or irrelevant for me - particularly when it is based on subjective preference or concerns very minor details.

In any case, this was today:

Target polo, sweatshirt, and pants. Converse shoes, Casio watch.
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
      For whatever it's worth, I expect critiques, advice, brickbats, etc. when I post a photo here. That said, I'm happy y'all are mostly pretty diplomatic about criticism (there are even some times that I suspect you fellers are holding back - but maybe that's just my natural self consciousness whispering in my ear).

What's truly unnerving is silence. Posting a photo that's received with *crickets* can hose my whole week.
      I do my best not to emotionally invest myself in this thread, so crickets, criticism, or even mockery will not hose my week :P I also feel like I get cricket's a bit more often because I don't really conform to "classic menswear", I like to say "eff it" with my outfits a lot and go a bit over the top since I'm young and dashing (okay kidding on the dashing).

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
      Casual-ing it today. Mother in law got me another Express polo. They fit me better than any other polos but I'm still not happy about their logo being so prominent on it. Went with the olive Purcells to give the outfit some color. Not sure if that worked in this case or not.

I'd get in store and see about picking up some of these:
      http://www.express.com/clothing/cham...45104C/cat9006

Or the solids with chambray collars, or the camo one with pique collar if you're feeling daring. No logo.

@LBD: Love the watch. That definitely looks more like a denim shirt than a polo to me but I'm going to take your word for it :P

Comment

Finally a sunny day again in Oregon

RL shirt
        Dockers linen/cotton pants
        JCF belt
        AE Fairfax w/ JCF no shows

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
          Cologne guy, I may steal that look from you. Looking great. I'm also on the lookout for an inexpensive summer blazer, but I'm looking for a charcoal or navy option.
          Originally posted by Shomas View Post
          That pocket square is a winner! And I don't just say that because I have a nearly identical one (mostly).
          Steal away, bruschetta! I probably stole it to begin with. I know I'm comfortable with the blue on blue thing most likely from several of Joe's posts/pics on the main site, and now that Shomas mentioned the pocky, I bet I subconsciously stole that from seeing him wear so many great ones all of the time.

Shomas, I only had very basic pocket squares - mostly plain solids and very light/muted striped ones before I got this one last week. Saw some new ones at the local Nordy Rack, and even though I was trying to hold off on purchases for a bit, I just had to grab a few. They were only $8 each (regular $40?!?!), and I figured I'd wear them in place of a colorful tie, as I don't tie it up a ton, and still want to inject some color into my outfits a bit more now. I think the colorful pocky is a great way to do just that, like here in an standard navy&white look. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm sure there are others here I should credit too, but yeah for sure, many of your pocket square choices have nudged me in that direction probably the most.

Wshew! No crickets in that comment, eh? Sorry, brevity is often not listed as one of my strengths.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post

My Allen Edmonds McNeils look awful after a year of regular wear. I will not be resoling them; I'd have tossed them already if they weren't so comfortable. The rest of my AE's show minimal wear.
            Nice sweater. And it's a good thing you're on the other side of the Atlantic or otherwise I'd be dog-napping your little friend there. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Chareth View Post
              Good god. Was it that one treatment of saddle soap that started this deterioration? Makes me thankful I've never tried it on any of my shoes.
              Yes. To be fair, I used the saddle soap because they had started to look like that. The saddle soap just exacerbated the existing condition.

Originally posted by alan View Post
              Nice sweater. And it's a good thing you're on the other side of the Atlantic or otherwise I'd be dog-napping your little friend there. :-)
              Thanks, Alan. He's a bit of a diva, but he's the best dog I've had. There's no need to dog-nap him; if we happen to be in the same place at the same time, our shelties can enjoy a playdate.

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
              Yep. Those look like hell. I am not a saddle soap fan either
              Thanks, Greg. Way to be a pal. Stick the knife right in the gut and give it a twist. No mincing of words, or softening the blow for a buddy.

Comment

Andrew, I feel as though the shoes are a bit too formal for those colourful chunky cloth laces, and too formal for the outfit in general. I think its mostly the shoes and accessories to the outfit that arent jiving (belt, watch and shoes). I think a more casual shoe in a different colour would do the outfit some good.

Comment

I agree with that assessment. Those shoes don't look right with that outfit. Also look in to getting some waxed laces since those laces do not look appropriate at all for those shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                    Yep-yep on both points. Nice clean, casual look, bruschetta, although it's making me sweat just imagining wearing it now - sitting poolside watching my kiddos swim, enjoying a brisk Broker's and soda. Ahhhhhh....

Super cool pooch. We have a 2 y.o. Goldendoodle. She's amazing! Cool dogs rule!

Comment

Andrew, unfortunately I think I agree with the fellas regarding the shoes. Everything else in your recent outfit choices has been great! I especially have been liking your casual button-ups/downs. Nice stuff!

IIRC, you're rebuilding your wardrobe for weight loss reasons, mainly, and I personally think you're rocking that, but maybe check out some of the casual shoe options that a few if the guys here have been showcasing this Summer. Many of them have TONS of them, but you can supplement your current setup with just one nice one and I bet it'd help complete these more casual looks better.

I understand it's tough to upgrade everything at once, so obviously do whatever you feel you can at any cadence.

Of course it's all personal opinion, but something to maybe consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Focuspants View Post
                        Andrew, I feel as though the shoes are a bit too formal for those colourful chunky cloth laces, and too formal for the outfit in general. I think its mostly the shoes and accessories to the outfit that arent jiving (belt, watch and shoes). I think a more casual shoe in a different colour would do the outfit some good.
                        You know, after the pics I agree. The shoes were ebay'd and came with some crappy laces, so I threw in the blue I had laying around to match the band so I could wear 'em for the first time. I often have little patience for throwing on new things once I have them, and yesterday was too darn warm for wool trousers =)

Comment

Wow, a lot of responses while I was trying to type here at work! Thanks guys, all very good points!

Comment

And shoes are a lot harder to get into the house than clothes. My wife's pretty easy going about clothes, she often won't even notice a new shirt or pants, but she gets pissed when I have more shoes than her. More casual options are in the works, have no fear =)

Comment

Alright, to take some heat off yesterday, here is today =)

Merona tailored OCBD
                              " " Chinos
                              JCF belt
                              Croft & Barrow boat shoes

Wasn't originally fond of the Merona OCBD's, but figuring out proper fit was key, of course. Medium instead of large. And these don't work untucked. They're pretty straight across the bottom and they look odd. MY JCF OCBD's have some pretty distinct curves front & back and lay much better, though I'm also seeing that tucked with these almost always works better. I'm slowly coming around, guys.

Not sure how I feel about cuffs on the chino's, but the goal was airflow. Thoughts?

Comment

Much better look! The shirt fits better, the colours work well, I like. As for the shoe issue with the Mrs. man do I feel you haha. I chose to buy a lot at once to make it more like tearing off a bandaid than peeling it off slowly :P I went from having a pair of running shoes, 1 pair of black dress shoes and a pair of boat shoes pre dappered to having 4 pairs of AE's, 3 boat shoes, bucks, desert boots, suede wingtips, etc... etc... very fast. This forum is dangerous!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X