X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrewlcraft View Post
    Thanks!

The shoes are not great. I consider them a placeholder until I get a better casual black pair w/rubber soles, and they are perfect for drizzly Oregon days.
    I Ebay'd a pair of black AE Weybridges, but they might end up being a tad dressier than I want/need for work and leather soles. We'll see.

On the weekend, I am almost always untucked. It's my small rebellion to the work week. At least thanks to this place, my casual shirts now fit right =)

These I dig.
    Thanks! Total flyer of a purchase, I think they were $25 at the Off 5th (i think) outlet. I had been wanting to get into the tassel loafer game for a bit but wasn't totally sure so I didn't want to drop significant coin unless I was certain they were for me. These, while of mediocre quality, definitely get the job done and I really like. I'll probably invest in a better pair down the line but for the occasional wear right now they work just great.
    "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Shirt that my mother-in-law got me which I've never worn until now. I know it's slightly big on me, but it's a gift so . . .

Comment

I like the new kicks! The Mr Porter sale did you well!

Comment

Not actually staying dressed like this today - just trying out some recent arrivals.

BR suit, Neiman Marcus shirt, Gitman tie (via Nordstrom sale), BB AE shoes (via BB sale).
          Ben

Comment

Nice tie!

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
              Not actually staying dressed like this today - just trying out some recent arrivals.

BR suit, Neiman Marcus shirt, Gitman tie (via Nordstrom sale), BB AE shoes (via BB sale).

Comment

^^
                haha YES!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
                  Because bar lacing is a PITA to lace, tighten, and loosen, and cannot be tightened as much as traditional crossed lacing anyway. Plus it doesn't look any better than crossed lacing as far as I'm concerned.
                  Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                    Because bar lacing is a PITA to lace. tighten, and loosen, and cannot be tightened as much as traditional crossed lacing anyway. Plus it doesn't look any better than crossed lacing as far as I'm concerned.
                    Not sure if it's just AE's, but their waxed laces are so bad bar or crossed, mine are MUCH better after a lot of beatings. J&M were a bit heavy on the wax too. My Loake chukka laces were a lot nicer right off the bat I found, so maybe it's just the laces making it a PITA.

I have some strawfut's in some cross laced hybrid and I swear at them every time I put them on
                    Last edited by shad0w4life; June 21, 2013, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I was kidding but only partially. I really do like the look of bar lacing with bals and criss-cross with bluchers. I leave my shoes set up that way by default, but sometimes I'll mix it up, put in some colored laces, etc. Have you tried the "Straight European Lacing" that is mentioned here instead of regular bar lacing? http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

Also, they might fit fine but that is a fairly substantial gap for a balmoral. If you're having problems keeping the laces tight, you might want to at least try on the next width. Maybe it will work or maybe not, but that 5 last is AEs most narrow last so an E (if those are D) might be a better fit in that last. Something to consider anyway LBD if you haven't ever tried a width up, and have easy access to an AE store or outlet to try 'em on.

Comment

I was kidding but only partially. I really do like the look of bar lacing with bals and criss-cross with bluchers. I leave my shoes set up that way by default, but sometimes I'll mix it up, put in some colored laces, etc. Have you tried the "Straight European Lacing" that is mentioned here instead of regular bar lacing? http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

Also, they might fit fine but that is a fairly substantial gap for a balmoral. If you're having problems keeping the laces tight, you might want to at least try on the next width. Maybe it will work or maybe not, but that 5 last is AEs most narrow last so an E (if those are D) might be a better fit in that last. Something to consider anyway LBD if you haven't ever tried a width up, and have easy access to an AE store or outlet to try 'em on.
                        Thanks for the Bal lesson on lacing. My AE PAs do this as well and I was wondering if I should get a wider shoe. Live and learn.

Comment

I have a pair of shoes with a gap like that. It doesn't much bug me, though I did notice it. But they were the last ones so there was no changing sizes. Generally speaking, they fit fine. FWIW, time will stretch the shoes and the gap should narrow... At least a little bit if not completely.

Comment

chiming in too - my strands looked like that when they first arrived, but now they are pretty much perfectly flush now after i've worn them a bunch of times.

if any shoe begs for straight bar lacing, its definitely the cap toe balmoral! i've never had an issue tightening the straight bar, and lacing it is 0.425% more difficult than criss crossing

Comment

My shoes fit fine and I'm satisfied with the look and function of the lacing I use.

I simply prefer criss-crossed laces, period. I have tried bar lacing before and don't like how it feels or how annoying it is to try to tighten and loosen them. I don't have any problems with keeping laces tight once they have been tightened, only in getting them uniformly tight in the first place - something I found almost impossible with bar lacing. I personally don't think either form of lacing looks markedly better than the other. Crossed lacing certainly does not look as ugly or messy as some bar lacing advocates assert.

Re: foot width, my feet are dead-on D width. I actually confirmed as much with a Brannock device just a couple weeks ago. But I have a very high arch and instep. Thus my feet take up more vertical volume in a shoe than someone with the same length x width but flatter feet. That is likely the cause of the "substantial gap" in the lacing.
                              Ben

Comment

Back to my favorite blazer/SC. It's still pretty darn warm around here, but my little girl has a vocal performance/recital tonight (it's a very casual/informal one, thus the jeans and no-socks), and I'm heading there straight from work, so figured WTH... blazerize! Here's hoping they have the A/C on.

On that note, still on the look-out for an *affordable* (trying to watch the dough spent even more so these days) Summer blazer option. Anything you guys REALLY like that you'd recommend?... on the cheap, that is. I've been thrifting for one, but all they ever seem to have in that department are big, baggy, oversized '90s types. Not looking to go all Arsenio Hall (again), ya'know?

Blazer: BR
                                Shirt: BR
                                Pocket square: Original Penguin
                                Belt: BR (thrifted)
                                Jeans: Bonobos
                                Shoes: TBNY
                                Watch: Orient
                                Scent: Creed

Comment

Working...
                                X