Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIWT

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by mattface View Post
    It's a Made in America rainy day on my front porch in Montpelier, VT. vintage Stetson 3x, Salaam Shirt, Gustin Jeans, vintage pocket square, Vintage boots. Also, not made in America Lands end nailhead oxford cloth jacket.
    I always start with shoes and jackets, but I like that hat. And do you know more about the boots other than that they're vintage? They're pretty cool. Truth be told, the arms on that jacket look seriously long, but if I recall correctly, that jacket has surgeons cuffs which make it expensive (or impossible) to tailor. Since permanent modification is pricey, what would it look like it you opened those cuffs and rolled them up a bit? Either it works or it doesn't, but there's no harm in trying.

    Comment


      Originally posted by jeff4 View Post
      Chance of rain, so I'm wearing the Kiowa's again. Close-up below.

      Shirt: Eddie Bauer
      Belt: Eddie Bauer
      Pants: Bonobos
      Shoes: AE Kiowa
      If my Kiowas had looked as good as yours when I received them, I wouldn't have returned them. Good stuff, man.

      Comment


        Originally posted by alan View Post
        I always start with shoes and jackets, but I like that hat. And do you know more about the boots other than that they're vintage? They're pretty cool. Truth be told, the arms on that jacket look seriously long, but if I recall correctly, that jacket has surgeons cuffs which make it expensive (or impossible) to tailor. Since permanent modification is pricey, what would it look like it you opened those cuffs and rolled them up a bit? Either it works or it doesn't, but there's no harm in trying.
        THe boots are Mason, & I estimate them to be circa 1950s based upon the soles and general construction.

        I know the jacket sleeves are long it was a bargain, and it fits well except for that. Most folks outside these types of forums don't even notice, but it does bug me, and mars an otherwise nice jacket.I don't have another unlined summer weight jacket yet. I absolutely cannot abide the rolled cuff, so I'm going to try and get them taken up when I have the cash to spare. Those damned button holes really are a problem though. I'll probably fold it just past the first button hole to try and hide it inside the hem.

        P.S. I don't know WHAT LEC were thinking when they designed this jacket. I don't have short arms, and though a 42r is a better fit I can usually get away with a 42L. I can't imagine these sleeves are the right length for much of anyone.
        Last edited by mattface; June 7, 2013, 12:54 PM.

        Comment


          Originally posted by alan View Post
          If my Kiowas had looked as good as yours when I received them, I wouldn't have returned them. Good stuff, man.
          The roughneck (sorta) Strand, right? I think you dubbed them that the other day. They do look cool, jeff. Wear them in Dapperedly-good health!

          Comment


            Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
            The roughneck (sorta) Strand, right? I think you dubbed them that the other day. They do look cool, jeff. Wear them in Dapperedly-good health!
            I talk so much out of my rear that I can't keep track of what I say, but that's a good way to describe them.

            Comment


              Originally posted by alan View Post
              @yoyorobbo: I didn't even know BR made belts in the US. I like the look - simple, clean and casual.
              Thanks Alan; very much appreciated. And yeah, I have three BR leather belts (the cognac one there, a dark brown one, and a black one - all basically the same belt, though) that I purchased in-store in the last year, all which say they are American-made - to what extent, I'm not ever sure. I know we have rules regarding being able to make that claim, but honestly I haven't really dug into the specifics.

              I also have a thinner dark brown leather one, which I just recently thrifted (over the Memorial Day weekend), and it reads "Genuine Leather Made in USA." It was flippin' brand new in the thrift shop - presumably never worn - not a mark on it - and the little rubber protector cap, was still on the tip of the buckle needle (or whatever it's called)... the "prong?"

              I can't recall on the other ones (I'm wearing that thrifted one today, so I just checked the text on it), but I want to say they are stamped as "Made in the USA," but "from Italian leather?" Something like that. Hmnn... I'll have to check later at home.

              Now that I'm typing this, what's the diff with the varying descriptions of the leather, specifically with belts. What I mean is, some say "Genuine Leather" - others say "Full Grain Leather" (right?) - etc. Is the "Full Grain" the cheaper, mashed-up, merged, and then covered/finished type? I'm no belt snob - just curious.

              And also any insight on "Made in ..." vs "Handcrafted in ...?" Is it really just a machine vs human assembly/build type of difference detail?

              Comment


                Originally posted by mattface View Post
                It's a Made in America rainy day on my front porch in Montpelier, VT. vintage Stetson 3x, Salaam Shirt, Gustin Jeans, vintage pocket square, Vintage boots. Also, not made in America Lands end nailhead oxford cloth jacket.
                USA! - USA!

                Nice coordinated "vintage" look, matt. I guess I say coordinated, because many folks would probably only throw one of those items into the mix, but you have them all put together in a pretty slick manner. The "new" jeans and the "old" boots together really do give off a '50s (*Happy Days*) vibe. "AAAAAY..!"

                Comment


                  Full grain leather is the good stuff. There's no substitute. Check this link:

                  http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Leather-101

                  Scroll down to "Full Grain, Top Grain, Genuine and Bonded: Leather 102".

                  Comment


                    "Made in" vs "Handcrafted" is more about marketing than any required designation. "Made in" items may be machine made or handcrafted, but truth in advertising requires that if something claims to be "handcrafted", then it better be handcrafted.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by fauxshow View Post
                      I'm not a fragrance connoisseur or anything, but this is my favorite scent that I own. I also ordered some samples of Creed Aventus but they came in those glass vials without the spray head. Do you know of any travel sized atomizers that you would recommend? I looked on amazon and it seems like most of them have some problem with leaking or have difficulty filling them.
                      I'll plop this first one over into the new thread, if that's cool with you.

                      Originally posted by fauxshow View Post
                      Great shoes, by the way. I am insanely jealous of all of you that can find nice stuff that thrift stores.
                      Re the shoes: They are some old Dexters, Made in the USA, and seemingly built like tanks! Aside from a little wear on the soles, they look really quite "new." I took them home, brushed them off, cleaned and conditioned them (AE's product), and shined them with some AE neutral cream. Honestly they look almost brand-new now. Crazy. They have a nice pebble-grain look, which was missing from my shoe stable, so that's kinda cool too.



                      Keep looking, as the thrifting visits are often non-productive. But when you *do* find something cool, you'll be giddy as all *gid*-out.

                      Comment


                        Ahhhh... cool. Thanks for the info and the links, Alan. Good stuff!

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                          USA! - USA!

                          Nice coordinated "vintage" look, matt. I guess I say coordinated, because many folks would probably only throw one of those items into the mix, but you have them all put together in a pretty slick manner. The "new" jeans and the "old" boots together really do give off a '50s (*Happy Days*) vibe. "AAAAAY..!"
                          Thanks, I tend to go for vintage inspired classic looks. I wear vintage hats a lot, and I like good vintage items when I can get them in wearable condition, but I'm not the historical re-enactor type, what I was going for is pretty much what you described, so I'm glad to hear your impression.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by alan View Post
                            And do you know more about the boots other than that they're vintage?
                            It took some digging, but I finally scrounged up the old classifieds ad on Fedora Lounge where I bought the boots. This is the best info I've got on them http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...oots)-for-sale....

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by mattface View Post
                              It took some digging, but I finally scrounged up the old classifieds ad on Fedora Lounge where I bought the boots. This is the best info I've got on them http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...oots)-for-sale....
                              They are very cool boots. Are they as comfortable as the seller claimed?

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                                They are very cool boots. Are they as comfortable as the seller claimed?
                                Yeah they are pretty great. I added an insole to take up a little of the extra room, and wear them with thick socks, and they are quite comfy on my foot. Not really seen much about Mason shoes and boots, but they are definitely a quality boot, and they were in nearly new condition when I got them.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X