This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
    @cologneguy: Another pair of great thrifted shoes!
    Fooooooodie, dooooode.... I am still but the learner. *You* are the (thrift-)master! But yeah, I was kinda geeked to see them sitting there. Not AEs or Aldens, etc. But still pretty nice Italian-made loafers for some dorkin' around in. Thanks, man.

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    I see cologne guy is doing the white pants thing today too.
    LOL, welllllllllllll, actually they're probably closer to the color of the 5-pockets BR jobbies you wore the other day; what do they call it... "stone?" (basically off-white/creme). - I have two pair of *pure*-white pants - one jeans, one chinos - but both are (now) too big on me. I *almost* bought a pair of (overpriced) domestic denim white jeans at Nordy Rack the other day, but truth be told, I was pushing the fit on them. Not really good on me; and fit is the most important factor, right? So still on the look-out for a good pair of white denim. Your look there is outstanding, BTW. Still pretty *nautical* - do you secretly wish to be a sailor? (kidding - 'cuz it really looks GREAT). So is *that* your favorite NATO strap? I really like that one. Almost bought a Brooks Brothers watch strap yesterday during my after-work mall run, but I think it was too narrow (18mm?). Regardless, it was mostly nay, but pulled in green, khaki, yellow and red too (IIRC). Colorful in a kinda-sorta similar way as your strap there. I really like that one, bud!

Comment

Yoyo - I think my wife likes the nautical look so she subconsciously pushes me that way. It's super hot out today so I decided to give the white linen pants a shot. And yes, this is my favorite NATO strap for this watch. I love the colors and I feel it will go with most any jeans/t-shirt combo. I didn't want to wear the white/blue one yesterday because that would have been too matchy matchy.

Comment

@BenR: Truckers of the world unite! BTW, how's the ftt on that? Slim?
        Unfortunately no. Kind of a standard, boxy trucker fit. I ended up sizing down.
        Ben

Comment

@cologneguy: I forgot to answer your bonobos questions. The shirt material feels nice, but the cut is still rather boxy on my frame. As far as the bonbos chinos go (which you asked a month ago but I forgot to answer) they are tough and durable. I like them. But the waist is a little larger than most chinos and the length as well.
          Cool, thanks for the personal input on those. I have these bonobos slim-straight selvedge inky-blue jeans which I am currently *molding* to my ([email protected]$$ed) body, in size 33/32. But just yesterday I tried on a pair of their *straight* medium-wash(?) jeans, and they fit me really loose. Weird. I passed on them, but damn, I wish they fit. These slim-straights are cool and all, but I would also like a pair that is a little less "slim" in the legs - sometimes the slim leg look is NOT desired.

I also tried on some of their chinos and travel jeans (or whatever), but the 33 waist fit too big, and there were no 32s in-store. The length on all of those was 34 - and even seemed like longer - weird(er).

I've been looking at the slim-fit bonobos OCBDs on their site - I wonder if those would be a good fit for me. I still could stand to lose a good 5-7# (mostly around the middle), so I might wait 'til I hit that milestone, and then go online shopping - something I'm not really fond of. I like to try things on in person.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
            Yoyo - I think my wife likes the nautical look so she subconsciously pushes me that way. It's super hot out today so I decided to give the white linen pants a shot. And yes, this is my favorite NATO strap for this watch. I love the colors and I feel it will go with most any jeans/t-shirt combo. I didn't want to wear the white/blue one yesterday because that would have been too matchy matchy.
            Ah yes, I forgot - your wife wishes one day to sail the ocean blue with you - sounds like a plan! I only say "nautical" 'cuz that's what I think of when I see white and blue combos like that - maybe the boat-shoes help that out too. Regardless, I think the look is GREAT. Don't take anything I say kiddingly as a negative. Looks GREAT!

Comment

Super hot outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeones25 View Post
                6'2"
                I think the cut-off head exaggerates my height a bit.
                Pants can be annoying. 32x34 can be hard to find at times (regular dept stores, normally I don't have a problem in stores like BR or JC) and I swear that Dockers doesn't even make some of their styles with a 34" inseam. Thankfully I just make it under the "normal person" cut-off. I've never seen 36" inseam pants before.
                Shirts can be troublesome keeping tucked in (the last button is above my belt line).
                I'm 6' 4" and have the same problem. I am a 34x34 with a lot of the 34 inseams being on the short side. I would love to find pants in a 36. Depending on the cut, I have had luck with my tailor letting the length out before.

Comment

Originally posted by shockemags View Post
                  I'm 6' 4" and have the same problem. I am a 34x34 with a lot of the 34 inseams being on the short side. I would love to find pants in a 36. Depending on the cut, I have had luck with my tailor letting the length out before.
                  I too have that problem. Slim fits are notorious for feeling short, even if others would say they are not.

Comment

I don't want to make a whole post for just this and it will be WIWT in about a week.
                    I'm wondering which suit people think would be best for an interview? The gray or the charcoal. I'd be wearing black Boardroom's (Park Ave on a different last).
                    Is the gray light enough that walnut shoes work with it (maybe for a presentation in the future)?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9456964...7633818504548/

Vicious, the nautical watch is neat. Definitely a nautical theme going on, especially with the horizontally striped shirt.

*edit* Probably going with the burgundy tie, not the eggplant.
                    Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

Yoyo - I don't take much personally. You really didn't say anything bad anyways so stop being so self conscious about others feelings.

Xeones - Not sure if 1 suit is better than another, but I would go with black shoes over the walnuts for the interview.

Comment

All of this white panting is making me consider white pants....I am extremely hesitant. I love the look but I am such a big dude, I just don't know...
                        "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Since everyone is hopping onto the white pants brigade. Here's a white pants WIWT:

Bonbonos Chinos
                          Bonobos Shirt
                          Odin x Target Jacket
                          AE Brown Suede Chukkas

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                            Giving some recently-thrifted goods a run this week. I hit it pretty hard over the weekend. Big 50% off everything sale at local Salvation Army shops. Good times!

*snip*
                            Shoes: Mercanti Fiorentini (thrifted)
                            *snip*
                            Not totally sure if I'm hip to the longer, pointier, chiseled(?) European toe of these MFs (LOL - *MF*ers) on me.
                            I also really like this look.

I'm normally not into chisel toes either, but the look of the toes in your pic made me brave enough to take the chance on the MF double monks. It's all your fault!

Well, that and the fact that they are on sale...

Comment

Acoustic- I'd passed on that Target-Odin jacket when they were first released and you are making me wish I hadn't. Looks very sharp with the white pants.

Comment

I'm always to late to check back in, I've got like 4 pages of new stuff to sift through!

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                                Yep. Also, it may just be a size big. Look at the shoulder. Did you try a size down?
                                Thanks for the suggestions guys. This is true. Seems like everything needs to be tailored a bit lately. I had to retire my reversible belt yesterday-that last hole was no longer enough! I'm seriously considering re-buying my navy and gray Kensingtons in a medium like my navy pinstripe is. Which I wore today, sorry no pics.

Yoyo- Jealous of the thrifted Mercanti's. I'm finding I dig the more European shape with a bit of a chisel toe. I wore my J&M single monks today that I posted a while back, and they're similar in the toe. Last few thrift shop trips have been busts, but that's how it goes!

Comment

Working...
                                X