Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@BB: The khaki/grey looks a little plain, but I don't think it's inherently bad. The shoes match the formality of the rest of the ensemble. I would have probably chosen a different pant color, but I like the shirt and jacket together.

@BenR: You always have the coolest jackets.
    Last edited by alan; May 20, 2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Here's hopefully a little redemption for those shoes you all love so much. :-P (FYI, I wore them again, yesterday. This time with khaki shorts and a polo.) ANYWAYS, here we go...

It's hard to tell, but the belt is croc print and not nearly as dark as in the pic. And ignore the rumply looking jacket. I can't seem to take my own pic very well without a mirror. It's aotherwise a good fit. :-P

Suit: HSM (thrifted)
      Shirt: Neiman Marcus
      Tie: Isaia 7 Fold (gift)
      Shoes: Dunhill made in England (ebay)
      Belt: Daniel Cremieux
      Watch: Bulova (wedding gift from wife)
      Cufflinks: M Lahart sterling w/ Southern Methodist University emblem (graduation gift)
      Last edited by alan; May 20, 2013, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
        Here's hopefully a little redemption for those shoes you all love so much. :-P (FYI, I wore them again, yuesterday. This time with khaki shorts and a polo.) ANYWAYS, here we go...

It's hard to tell, btu the belt if croc print and not nearly as dark as in the pic.

Suit: HSM (thrifted)
        Shirt: Neiman Marcus
        Tie: Isaia 7 Fold (gift)
        Shoes: Dunhill made in England (ebay)
        Belt: Daniel Cremieux
        Watch: Bulova (wedding gift from wife)
        Cufflinks: M Lahart sterling w/ Southern Methodist University emblem (graduation gift)
        I love that tie. Perfect color for that suit. Shirt is intense; I think you are pulling it off, but not sure I'd have the gumption and would cower down to wearing a plain blue dress shirt, ha.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekH View Post
          I love that tie. Perfect color for that suit. Shirt is intense; I think you are pulling it off, but not sure I'd have the gumption and would cower down to wearing a plain blue dress shirt, ha.
          It's still spring for a few more days, and my company has no dress code requirements beyond collared shirts and no joeans. I don't have to worry about formal suits because even informal suits are nicer than what 95% of the company is wearing. Plus there's a touch of blue in the suit. All in all, though, those pics are a pretty good representation of the shirt (for a change). It's a sky blue, textured gingham of sorts. It's actually very dressy if you see it in person, but maybe my tolerance level has risen. *shrug*
          Last edited by alan; May 20, 2013, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
            Love it Derek, great look.
            Agreed. I think you totally nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by zmac View Post
              Is this the Oxford Cloth Thompson?
              As noted by LosRockets, it is. I think it's pretty versatile, but before pulling the trigger, you should be aware that the weave actually causes it to look like it has a bit of shine to it. It doesn't, but the navy and white threads together in the oxford weave cause kind of a faux-sharkskin optical illusion. It's not dramatic, but it is there and you should keep it in mind.

That said, I really like this jacket. It's a very good weight for spring - though it may be a little warm for summer. They are actually out of the pants in my size, but I'm checking daily, because I would really like to complete the suit.

Comment

WODER! Lots of pics and posts here this past weekend, on which to review and comment. At least I know what I'll do during lunch. Coolness, fellas!

Thanks all, for the comments and feedback on my G9 wannabe pic/look. I wish it were the real deal, but it'll have to do for now. I don't usually head into my closet looking for a red jacket anyway, but it can be fun to rock it once in a while.

OK, while I spend some time looking back through the past couple of days' posts, here's a peek at my getup today. Nothing groundbreaking or "dressy" - that's for certain. No jacket or blazer - it's just to darn warm.

Shirt: Original Penguin
                Belt: Timberland
                Jeans: Bonobos
                Socks: JCF
                Shoes: AE
                Watch: Skagen
                Scent: Creed
                Shades: RE

Maiden voyage in the new jeans. It's a tad warm for dark denim, but I want to get these things goin' - breaking in and shaping to *me* - so no time like the present, right?

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                  Maiden voyage in the new jeans. It's a tad warm for dark denim, but I want to get these things goin' - breaking in and shaping to *me* - so no time like the present, right?
                  Are those the Hudson River bonobos jeans?

Comment

Are those the Hudson River bonobos jeans?
                    Yeah, Derek; the ones you mentioned (right?) the other day in the "deals around the webotron" thread, or whatever (IIRC). I found mine at Nordy Rack, this past Friday evening. It's quite an adventure there, digging through their piles of denim. They *try* to organize them by size range (32-33, 34-36, etc) and in some cases by manufacturer - but the table that has *some* Bonobos sprinkled throughout is mostly filled with Levi's, BOSS, Citizens of Humanity, etc.

They usually have a few of the Bonobos travel jeans mixed in too, but those are typically easier to spot amidst the chaos due to their fabric and colors. All of those seemed to be 34 length. Is that typical for the travel jeans?

These ones I snagged, however, were the single solitary pair of inky blue selvage/selvedge slim/straight Bonobos jeans I saw there - 32 length too - win! - and believe me, I made a bit of a mess looking through the stacks on the tables. Hey, I tried to put everything back in some sort of order, but they really could use a better system there; to be fair.

These are a tad long for my taste, but I've already been burned by 30 length jeans which fit me with break-wise perfectly like I want, and then suddenly become floods on me, after their eventual first wash cycle. I guess I'm a 31 length, so I may wish to get these shortened a tad. That doesn't affect the selvedge seam, does it? Pretty sure that's only an issue if you have selvedge denim taken *in* (slimmed). I could be wrong, though. This is my first pair of higher-end denim. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Comment

They usually have a few of the Bonobos travel jeans mixed in too, but those are typically easier to spot amidst the chaos due to their fabric and colors. All of those seemed to be 34 length. Is that typical for the travel jeans?
                      Cool; I bet you'll enjoy 'em. It's definitely not normal to only have 34's in Travel Jeans, but it makes sense that those would be the sizes left over. I have a pair of grey that are 32s that I got off the main site. They just opened a Nordstrom Rack standalone store downtown here in DC that I've been meaning to go by, so knowing they've got marked down Bonobos gear there means I'm definitely gonna drop some cash there soon.

Never had any selvege denim tailored so I'm not sure what it'd do to the seam, sadly.

Comment

Looking like a bum per usual:

514s
                        mossimo shirt
                        odin jacket
                        Tso loafers

Comment

Hot day today. Got some
                          New pocket sqs from the tiebar

Comment

Cool; I bet you'll enjoy 'em. It's definitely not normal to only have 34's in Travel Jeans, but it makes sense that those would be the sizes left over. I have a pair of grey that are 32s that I got off the main site. They just opened a Nordstrom Rack standalone store downtown here in DC that I've been meaning to go by, so knowing they've got marked down Bonobos gear there means I'm definitely gonna drop some cash there soon.

Never had any selvege denim tailored so I'm not sure what it'd do to the seam, sadly.
                            Thanks, man! Yeah, I've been sorta on the hunt for that *one* good pair of inky dark denim, slim, not *skinny*, that can (I hope) go with just about anything from casual shirts & canvas tennies, to nice blazers, dress button-downs and sweet leather kicks. Here's hoping these are them/they!

As much as I love Dappered.com and these threads, I also have been really thinking about trying to work toward a "lean wardrobe" (or at least a *leaner* one than my current one), as proposed by Barron over at Effortless Gent. Great site there too. I'm pretty sure Joe and Barron are buds, so hopefully this isn't a big dealio pimping EG here in this thread. I just think it's another great resource for fellas interested in upping their style game. At any rate, Barron really pushes the one nice pair of slim-fitting (slim/straight, etc) dark blue jeans, as one of the absolute key ingredients in a lean wardrobe. Thus the mention.

Additionally, re the Nordy Rack near you: yes-yes-yes... hit that sucker up! Sometimes the prices are just okayyyy... but other times, BUH-BAMMM! My best deals have been on a few pair of shoes from there, but these jeans, if they turn out to be what I'm hoping they do for me and my 'drobe, are right up there in that mix.

If anything, it's hard to NOT walk out of there with a pair of cedar shoe trees for $12 or whatever. LOL They've gotten me a few times, when it looked like I was going to leave there empty-handed.
                            Last edited by yoyorobbo; May 20, 2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Foodie: I sure hope no real *bums* reads these threads. If so they're all gonna be trying to step-up their style game. Look what you've started! We can't have bums/slobs/schlubs thinking that's how they're supposed to be dressing. We needs those guys! - Seriously, looking smooooove per usual, doooooode. Always well-put-together. Always cool getups and gear. Did you thrift that Odin jacket too? I bet you did. Man... the KING! LOL

Jake: Diggin' that p-square, bud. I need to get me something a little more flashy than the few I typically wear. I think the gingham might be the way to start that for me. See...? You'll be able to claim credit (or maybe *responsibility*?) for any looks that may spawn from that. Kidding, of course. I really do like it there, and I really *am* going to probably steal the idea. LOL
                              Last edited by yoyorobbo; May 20, 2013, 04:43 PM.

Comment

As much as I love Dappered.com and these threads, I also have been really thinking about trying to work toward a "lean wardrobe" (or at least a *leaner* one than my current one), as proposed by Barron over at Effortless Gent.
                                Cologne guy, I have also adopted the "lean wardrobe" philosophy. You should start a thread about the lean wardrobe concept; I think that it would be a real hit.

Comment

Working...
                                X