Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brushetta- I agree, a leather band would look better than the metal band on the Orient you have pictured. Something about it looks a little off to me.

Comment

Grats to all the recent grads! Here's to you guys making this world a better place!

---

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback on the blazer, guys. It's just too tight (maybe I need to hit the gym a little harder) - I ended up wearing it open most of the night as per Foodie's suggestion.

Caught Gatsby last night. Lots of inspiration packed into a 2 and a half hour film. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the story back in high school. Anyone else see it?

This was today. Gave the car a bath and headed to the beach with the top down. Untucked button down with shorts: faux pas or just enough beachy casual to work? I lost the loafers for bare feet once we hit the sand.

Comment

@Eric F--I rock that look all the time. The length of that shirt looks fine to be worn untucked.

@acoustic--Lukeduke is the second person in the last week to post about thrifted Aldens (yoyorobbo being the other). You must be slipping on your thrifting ;-)
        Last edited by MarkB; May 12, 2013, 10:42 PM.
        Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

We'll call this mothers day edition, cropped down to my father in law and my nearly 9 year old for sake of space.

Shirt- JCF oxford
          Jeans- Levis 511
          Shoes- AE
          Watch-Timex

Comment

Congrats to BenR and MarkB!

Yoyorobbo, sorry to hear about your friend's dad. Very cool of you to attend and support the family. The suit looks excellent, and it is very appropriate.

Vicious, I agree with bruschetta and Shomas. I want the shoes. Badly.

Lukeduke, amazing thrift find. I'm interested in that jacket (or the patterned one like it) because I like the LE navy linen-cotton one so much. Does the linen wrinkle very easily? It is breathable? Is it a good weight?

EricF, that looks great. MarkB is right -- the length is perfect for that.

Comment

Jake101, the BR suit looks incredible. I'm in agreement with bruschetta about the other jacket -- to my taste (not yours of course), that's too tight.

Comment

Lukeduke, amazing thrift find. I'm interested in that jacket (or the patterned one like it) because I like the LE navy linen-cotton one so much. Does the linen wrinkle very easily? It is breathable? Is it a good weight?
                BB, I REALLY like this jacket. A 43R in the Lands End tailored fit seems to fit me perfectly, but problem is they don't make many jackets in that size. I bought that navy linen-cotton one you're talking about in a 42 (my normal size) and it just wouldn't work. I've been scouring Ebay for months trying to find one listed in a 43. Anyway, the fabric on this jacket is great. It's 100% linen, but I don't think it wrinkles THAT bad because it's actually got a bit of weight to it. The nice thing is that is seems to breath very well and being unlined (except, of course, for the sleeves and upper back) it shouldn't be too warm. I'm very tempted to pick up the glen plaid version while their 40% one item promotion is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
                  Vicious, I agree with bruschetta and Shomas. I want the shoes. Badly.
                  Thanks guys. I normally wouldn't pay over $200 for AE's but the McAllister is one of the few that they do in a C width. They only make their most popular shoes in C's which is what I have my Park Aves, Strands, and now McAlisters in. Otherwise I'd wait for a shoebank sale and get a 9D. The Bourbon color and the v-tread sole also helped push me over the edge. I like that v-tread sole over leather since I can wear it without worry even if it's a little wet out.

Originally posted by Lukeduke View Post
                  BB, I REALLY like this jacket. A 43R in the Lands End tailored fit seems to fit me perfectly,
                  Same thing with me and their 38R. Almost no tailoring required.

Comment

Glad to hear about the LE jacket. I'm keeping an eye out for 44L...

I'll also be saving up for the AE shoebank -- bourbon McAllisters on the brain.

Sort of confusing weather today -- in the 40s when I left the house, might be near 80s when I get home.

Comment

Today:

Jacket: JCF (it's the Oxford Thompson, which I like. If I can get the pants in my size, it should be a nice suit)
                      Pocket square: the Tie Bar
                      Shirt: J Crew
                      Pants: Bonobos
                      Watch: Timex (J Crew strap)
                      Shoes: AE

Comment

I know bruschetta ain't gonna like
                        This one

Comment

Stopped in Target with my mother-in-law to kill time on the way to the airport. Figured I'd snap a pic in a full length mirror for a change. First attempt with my GTH pants I picked up on sale awhile back.

Shirt: urban pipeline (kohls $4)
                          Pants: JCF
                          Shoes: ProKeds
                          Watch: Timex
                          Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Originally posted by Sigtweed Corduroy View Post
                            Impeccable yoyo, that's how a suit should fit.
                            I wouldn't stress about the pocket square personally. But you could swap out the tie for something with a little more color once you leave and go to your event? Either way, looks phenomenal. I rarely wear a suit anymore these days, save for the occasional wedding or event but I don't know if I will ever go back to wearing regular ties after getting a few knit ties. They look so great.
                            Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                            Yoyo, sorry it's for an unpleasant affair, but I agree that the suit looks great on you. Also, I think the pocket square is fine.
                            Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                            Forgot to mention I'm loving yoyorobbos look with the suit and that knit tie and that watch.
                            Originally posted by BB View Post
                            Yoyorobbo, sorry to hear about your friend's dad. Very cool of you to attend and support the family. The suit looks excellent, and it is very appropriate.
                            Thanks so much fellas; for the compliments on the suit/outfit and the input on the pocket square, but also especially for the kind thoughts regarding my friend's loss.

Not that you want details or anything, but it was a suicide, which makes things obviously much worse for my friend and his whole family. Tough visit, but his father had always told him not to mourn his (eventual) death (whenever it may have happened), but to get friends and family together and celebrate his *life*. So that's what he did. It was a nice memorial for his father, and a nice gathering of friends; some from the "olden times" (like me - high school buds), and some newer acquaintances too.

I didn't want to think too much about myself (meaning, what I wore), because I was truly concerned about my bud and how he was holding up through this whirlwind of emotions. However, I also wanted to dress as respectful and appropriate as possible for both events of the day, thus my post and question, so thanks for the feedback and input on that. I really appreciate it, guys. Oh, FYI: I kept the pocket square intact as seen in the pic, and I didn't feel uncomfortable or showy in doing so. Again, thanks for the input.

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                            Cologne guy, I just put it back on the metal band (picture below). I'm not sure if I'll keep it like this. I think that a leather band looks nicer with the silver body and white face.
                            Bruscetta, I think you're probably right about the leather band looking nicer on it. It likely makes the face "pop" more, for lack of a better term. Either way the watch is classy yet cool. Another one of Orient's gems. Nice, man!

Originally posted by MarkB View Post
                            @acoustic--Lukeduke is the second person in the last week to post about thrifted Aldens (yoyorobbo being the other). You must be slipping on your thrifting ;-)
                            LOL, yeah I was pretty damn geeked about my *find*. But let's not fool ourselves; Foodie is the King of Thrift! The thrift-ninja! We are but mere apprentices. I probably shouldn't speak on Lukeduke's behalf, but I think it's a pretty safe observation. Oh, and I also have to admit, Lukeduke's shells blow my measly calves away. Still, I remain geeked.

Comment

Wow! So many great looks from everyone lately. I really want to comment on so many of them, but I will have to hold that for a little later. I'm presently at work, and I try to keep my viewing of other dudes' online wardrobe choice photos as discreet as possible. LOL - That's the *last* thing I need to have brought up for discussion at my next performance review, ya'know?

However, I will pile on with the rest of the CONGRATULATIONS to all of the recent grads! You guys deserve the brightest of futures for all of that hard work. And of course, you all look dapper, even under those caps and gowns. Spouses, significant others, and family members all lookin' good too. Nice!

OK, so here's WIWY (yesterday) for our Mother's Day family lunch gathering:

Blazer: BR
                              Shirt: BR
                              Pocket square: George
                              Belt: BR
                              Jeans: BRF
                              Shoes: TBNY
                              Watch: Orient
                              Scent: Creed (one of my oft-used and apparently-*abused* decants of Aventus: the beloved X02 batch - sucker's almost empty - oh my word!)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB View Post
                                Oh wow nice! I was inactive for two weeks or so on the forums so missed out on the great finds from peeps. Apparently yoyo is also known as cologne guy now as well? Too many changes!

Comment

Working...
                                X